Life's too short...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My wife's uncle passed away this week, he and his wife were heading out of town when he had a heart attack. She could not get control of the car, set on cruise at 55mph and they ended up running off the road and into a tree. She was severely injured and was flown to a nearby hospital, she was recently moved down to Towanda PA for physical therapy and we are not sure when she can go home. It happened in the blink of an eye, a scary situation for anyone. He was 81 years old. His love of knives rivaled my own and in that we were close. He was always at the Lewisburg PA knife show every year, which is coming up this next Friday and Saturday and he will be dearly missed. Locals that visit the show each year always stopped by his table, which he mainly just had his personal collection of knives that he would trade or sell, but usually he just enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing what knives they had and chatted the day with them.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

We would also travel up near Kingston NY to the Ashokan Seminar, until the last several years his health held him back from going. The first year he missed the Ashokan Seminar back in 2017 I took videos from several people that where there to wish him well and hoped he would be able to get back up the following year, but he never made that trip again and I know he missed it greatly. Here's that video compilation I made for him those years ago. You'll see our own D Dan Maragni and Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith in the video as well as several other friends.

Any time folks pass on it causes people to reflect on their memories of being around them, and makes them wish they took the opportunity more often to visit or chat with them before the time runs out, so maybe this might spark that in some of you to reach out to a friend you haven't talked with or seen in a long time and just say hey.

Rest in Peace Warren, you are missed!
G2

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I made a wood plaque to take down to the knife show this Friday and give it to the fellow that shared a table with him, so when people walk by they will understand why Warren isn't there now.
I used my printer to print on waxy paper, image reversed so the words would read correctly once it was transferred onto the wood and then sprayed with a clear coat

The top is glued down to the base at about 12 degree angle and I have several bamboo dowels glued through the base into the top section to provide stability of this, it's quite solid.

G2

Last edited:
My wife's uncle passed away this week, he and his wife were heading out of town when he had a heart attack. She could not get control of the car, set on cruise at 55mph and they ended up running off the road and into a tree. She was severely injured and was flown to a nearby hospital, she was recently moved down to Towanda PA for physical therapy and we are not sure when she can go home. It happened in the blink of an eye, a scary situation for anyone. He was 81 years old. His love of knives rivaled my own and in that we were close. He was always at the Lewisburg PA knife show every year, which is coming up this next Friday and Saturday and he will be dearly missed. Locals that visit the show each year always stopped by his table, which he mainly just had his personal collection of knives that he would trade or sell, but usually he just enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing what knives they had and chatted the day with them.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

We would also travel up near Kingston NY to the Ashokan Seminar, until the last several years his health held him back from going. The first year he missed the Ashokan Seminar back in 2017 I took videos from several people that where there to wish him well and hoped he would be able to get back up the following year, but he never made that trip again and I know he missed it greatly. Here's that video compilation I made for him those years ago. You'll see our own Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith in the video as well as several other friends.

Any time folks pass on it causes people to reflect on their memories of being around them, and makes them wish they took the opportunity more often to visit or chat with them before the time runs out, so maybe this might spark that in some of you to reach out to a friend you haven't talked with or seen in a long time and just say hey.

Rest in Peace Warren, you are missed!
G2
My condolences. I am sorry to hear about your loss.

n2s

I’m very sorry to hear this Gary. My condolences to you and the entire family. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your aunt.

My sincere condolences to you and your family. My prayers are going out to him and his family, I hope that his bride recovers soon.

Very sorry to hear this, you spoke of him several times. My condolences to the family. Wishing his wife a swift and complete recovery. Wonderful, your doing the plaque.

Thanks, that image of him was taken a while back at Ashokan and is a crop from a larger image, hence the not so great quality due to the crop, but, without a doubt those that knew him would recognize him from it.
The process of getting the ink onto the wood was troublesome, that was the third try, first one I had the W of Warren too far into the dark part of the wood, so at a glance you would think his name was Arren so that had to be sanded off, the next one was better but ended up moving slightly while laying it down onto the wood and became smeared, back to sanding again, third time, as they say was the charm.
G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back