MT40 HIC Mule Team Blade

"LC200N, MagnaCut, M390, M398, S45VN, S90V, S110V & the Z-Max."

Wow, I missed out on many of those. I only have M398, AEB-L, T15, and two HIC.

I bought almost all of the Mules I've got in the 2ndary market (or got them in trade).

As I recall, I only got the MagnaCut & M398 directly from Spyderco upon release. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sal Glesser Sal Glesser I absolutely agree with your post above. I'm sorry if my earlier post sounded critical, I was merely trying to share an observation. I am extremely excited for this new material and have every intention of using it as I would any other fixed blade.

View attachment 2494944

I did use it to breakdown a large pile of cardboard boxes this evening, enough to fill an entire municipal sized rolling trashcan with zero diminution of cutting ability. It didn't seem to be as bitey as I'm used to, but it sliced consistently well.

I'm going to keep using this until it stops slicing as well, then I'll try to touch it up. I think I'm more excited to try sharpening this than anything else.

View attachment 2494946

This Mule is cool, and I'm glad to have one to try out for myself. Thanks for making this available.

Are you going to batton it through some Knotty mesquite? :O

haha

It seems to be a bit too fragile for my normal use.

It's going to take a while to sharpen that out.
Bummer about yours. I've decided that, should I lose my tip in a similar fashion, I'll just sharpen the new flat edge to make a Razel style blade. Good luck.

Last edited:
It seems to be a bit too fragile for my normal use.

It's going to take a while to sharpen that out.

That's is dying to be turned into a reverse tanto... I don't own photoshop...

Untitled.jpg

Would it end up similar to this in the side profile (watch video for the blade to be turned spine side up)?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I've always thought the "reverse tanto" looked like the product of an amatuer with a chop saw. I'd finish breaking it into little pieces rather than do that to it. I've got some SiC belts for my 1×30 belt sander ordered. I'll see what I can achieve when they come in and I have some time.

Sorry, but I've always thought the "reverse tanto" looked like the product of an amatuer with a chop saw. I'd finish breaking it into little pieces rather than do that to it. I've got some SiC belts for my 1×30 belt sander ordered. I'll see what I can achieve when they come in and I have some time.
Well Excuuuuooooze meeeeee 😂

Yesterday I took mine to a coarse grit diamond diafold (325 mesh), then back to a fine plate (600 mesh) and finally have an edge that feels sharp to the touch. It still doesn't catch my thumbnail and isn't close to catching arm hairs, but it's a clear sign that I'm probably the reason why it's not yet sharpened to its full potential. I think I may have to invest in a super fine grit plate in order to achieve a shaving edge. But, I may first attempt to hone with ceramic plates. Time will tell.

Good luck using ceramics to sharpen this one. Spyderco white fine or ultra fine might do something, but I wouldn't bet that way.

Hi Oldmanwilly,

Thanx for sharing your experience. I found that mine will easily slice tomatoes, even though it doesn't feel sharp to the touch.

Hey Yab,

Nice job.

sal

Sal Glesser Sal Glesser Have you seen this paper?

Apparently large scale ceramic with similar toughness to steel is possible if you sinter together crystalline layers at slightly different angles (forming a "twist"). If true, it seems like the number one weakness of ceramic vs steel has already been overcome. My only question is whether harder carbides will reduce the effectiveness of this technique.

Hi Synov,

No I hadn't seen it. thanx for the link. Seems like there are new developments in materials that might/will affect the future. I'm also noticing a trend in returning to simple carbon steels for blades. I guess when some company starts to produce the material commercially, we'll learn more.

sal

I IsitAKnife I haven't used the HIC mule much in the past weeks and haven't touched it up much, so no progress to report yet. I'm going to pull it out and try again soon, when I find the time.

Back