Need help! Lionsteel M4 or M2M ?

Hi everyone, I am new to the Forum. I am 42 years old, based in Italy.

I am looking for a small general purpose fixed blade knife to carry with me while hiking. Something light but still capable of basic camping skills.

I am looking at the M4 and the newest M2M. They have almost identical measurements, same steel (M390) but different blade shape and handle.

What do you guys can tell me about those two knives? Are they practically the same or one is more specialized than the other on a specific task? Is there a winner?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Having neither one, but going by pics alone, I’d choose the M4. For me, a slimmer blade profile makes for a better all around tool.
I don’t do much wood work and really don’t need a wider blade.

Many thanks for your answer. To be honest I prefer the shape of the blade of the M4 for the reasons mentioned by you, but the handle of the M2M looks way nicer!

I was also hoping to get some feedback from people who owns the knife and perhaps from Molletta who designed both!

....mate, if I would be in your shoes I would wait the arrival of the T4!
Similar size, probably made of Magnacut stainless steel (!!!!)....
Stunning expectations!!!

....mate, if I would be in your shoes I would wait the arrival of the T4!
Similar size, probably made of Magnacut stainless steel (!!!!)....
Stunning expectations!!!

Are they really going to start using Magnacut on their knives?

If so I hope they actually bump up the HRC.

They already do a MagnaCut version of the M4. Is sold exclusively at Knife and Tools!

They already do a MagnaCut version of the M4. Is sold exclusively at Knife and Tools!
Yeah, but the M4 is a "mature" design....new models seem to have an improved ergonomics (for instance the recent M2M is an update/improvement of the M2)

If the M4 won't receive a similar improvement in the close future I expect the incoming T4 would be a better choice.....we will see

Last edited:
Hi, I’m new to the boards but this was the exact problem I was having deciding between these two knives. I believe I’ve settled on the M4 as it seems more versatile to me. The M2M would probably be better as a strictly hunting and skinning knife in my opinion. The problem I’m having now is I want the magnacut version and knives and tools doesn’t seem to ship to Canada. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Back