NJ knife laws.

Advice is this thread has been on point so far. The best advice you can take to heart is to never, ever give police a reason to even find the knife on you in the first place. Forget the law, and forget what you feel about your rights - if the police discretion leans in the wrong direction, you WILL be arrested no matter what. It doesn't matter if they use a disorderly persons or simply make something up. Having a knife will just be an easy excuse for them to very easily arrest you regardless of the knife. You probably won't be convicted but it'll cost you some time, plus a lawyer, plus the cost of an expungement of arrest records. Don't be dumb and they shouldn't even know you are ever carrying anything.

yea but some cops will discriminate, "your young and all young people are bad, search him"

I live in Bergen County.

Typical definitions of a "weapon"—daggers, dirks, ballistic knives, switchblades, assisted openers—are flat-out illegal.

I'm not sure that is true about assisted openers. I bought an assisted opener at a Dick's Sporting Goods in NJ. If assisted openers are flat-out illegal, why would a place like Dick's Sporting Goods be selling them in NJ?

In nj assisted opening knives are fine, autos are not unless you are LEO, or private security. Though you may come across an officer who considers an assisted as an auto or doesn't know the actual law and thinks that both are illegal and will give you a rash of crap.

I'm not sure that is true about assisted openers. I bought an assisted opener at a Dick's Sporting Goods in NJ. If assisted openers are flat-out illegal, why would a place like Dick's Sporting Goods be selling them in NJ?
Same here. Bought a Cryo at Dick's in Paramus about a month ago. I figure the only crime is the inflated price I paid.

In regards to NJ knife laws-http://knife-expert.com/nj.txt- there is a difference between a swicthblade and an assisted opener. A swithblade natural position is open, and the blade is deployed by a button, scale or any spring within the knife. An assisted opener, the natural position is closed. It is opened by a a stud on the blade or a flipper. Most flipper assisted opening knives do not have a lock, therefore I believe it to be a gravity knife; which is illegal. However, I am a knife maker and dealer, and quality assisted openers made by SOG and Benchmade do have locks to prevent the blade from being deployed, even by vise grips. NJ is is similiar to NYC laws, if it is legal in NYC, it should be legal in NJ. However, keep a legitimate reason for carrying concealed and never have your knife clip (if it has one) exposed. Self defense is not a legitimate reason in NJ. However, if it is used for your job or a reasonable purpose (seat belt cutter) or multipurpose tool, it should be ok for pocket carry. I am not a lawyer, but these are my interpretations after discussing issues with police friends in Bergen County's pistol permit office.

Anyone know if auto knives are illegal to own in NJ, not carry, just own (as in just keep in your home)?

Back