Attention Profile Posts for Registered Users disabled due to rampant fraud.

Someways I agree with you to protect others and cutting out crap like this the moderators have to deal with. But ... looking back ... if I was not able to make transactions via free membership - I may not have joined w/o knowing this forums value.
There's always eBay, correct me if I'm wrong but sellers are charged a fee for every item they sell and buyers run a major risk of fakes/clones for desirable knives/items.

Another knife forum won't let you access the Exchange unless you have a paid membership... what are you left with, FB, Reddit, etc.

Just out of curiosity, will registered users be able to access and edit prior profile messages? As an example, that guy has email, full name, mailing address, and phone number in various profile posts.
I don't know. I've never allowed any comments on, or contact via my profile page.

There's always eBay, correct me if I'm wrong but sellers are charged a fee for every item they sell and buyers run a major risk of fakes/clones for desirable knives/items.

Another knife forum won't let you access the Exchange unless you have a paid membership... what are you left with, FB, Reddit, etc.
That was my old train of thought - now I know the value of BF and appreciate it. 👍🏼

How can I do the same?

Go to your profile, look in Privacy, there you will see your options to turn on or off. Once you choose, at the bottom of the page is a Blue button marked Save, click that and your done.

You can change your settings as often as you want as much as you want.

Just don’t ever click on Self Disable 😱

I hope this is right:
Profile>Privacy>Allow users to>set all drop-downs to Members Only>Save

I hope this is right:
Profile>Privacy>Allow users to>set all drop-downs to Members Only>Save

Note: That setting has nothing to do with Private Messages. Only you and the other Paid Member can read Private Messages.

It is correct if you want Profile Posts open to Members Only that can post to you, but that’s not Private, it’s still viewable for anyone to read.

If you wish to only conduct Private Messages (that are private and only available to paying members)), and not Profile Posts (that are still viewable by the public and aren’t private), then click on the Nobody tab (that’s what Blues has enabled on his that you asked about).

Please feel free to ask away any other questions you may have. Lots of great members here that will always help you out.

Note: That setting has nothing to do with Private Messages. Only you and the other Paid Member can read Private Messages.

It is correct if you want Profile Posts open to Members Only that can post to you, but that’s not Private, it’s still viewable for anyone to read.

If you wish to only conduct Private Messages (that are private and only available to paying members)), and not Profile Posts (that are still viewable by the public and aren’t private), then click on the Nobody tab (that’s what Blues has enabled on his that you asked about).

Please feel free to ask away any other questions you may have. Lots of great members here that will always help you out.
Thank you! 👍🏼

Thank you! 👍🏼

You now need to again go to your Privacy settings and enable 1 more change.

The tab Start conversations with you: is what you want to change to Members Only.

Conversations are the BladeForums name for a Private Message, so you want to allow that.

Right now you have it off and you can’t receive anyone’s Private Message.

Your Profile Post setting is now set correctly to Nobody 👍

I've never liked profile posts in the first place. It's a feature I haven't really used. It seems to just be a substitute for private messaging wherein randos could post things to your profile and then when anyone else clicks on your profile, that's what they'd see. (BTW, thanks to Retired UPS Driver Retired UPS Driver for reminding me that I could change the setting to "nobody".)

I feel like private messages should be private and I see no reason to have something like a MySpace Wall or whatever here.

Of course, I complained about the limits on private messaging over a year ago (before I upgraded to the platinum membership that recently lapsed.)

Here’s my approach

I will not sell to non-paying members-However I will deduct/refund the basic membership costs from the purchase price if you pm me a receipt showing you signed up to buy one of my knives.

I think I’ll be adopting this myself.

I just set my profile to not allow posts there. Only transacting with folks who can PM will definitely be a shift in how I sell stuff, but well worth it for the peace of mind.

Out of curiosity, what's the best way to clean up old profile posts with folks' email addresses in them? I tried it with one just to see how it worked, and there was a dialog box that makes me think some poor mod is going to get bugged with a message about every single one I delete. 😅

Is there a tidy way to just nuke them all from orbit?

Out of curiosity, what's the best way to clean up old profile posts with folks' email addresses in them? I tried it with one just to see how it worked, and there was a dialog box that makes me think some poor mod is going to get bugged with a message about every single one I delete. 😅

Is there a tidy way to just nuke them all from orbit?

You have to delete the Profile Posts individually.

For the Dialog Box that asks for a reason, just type in a single character, such as a single period.

Something that may help…

Making it a mandatory rule that sellers have to include this line at the top of every sale thread:

“If using email to communicate, do not send me any funds before confirming you are in fact communicating with me”

or something along those lines.

This way people are forced to learn the basics when viewing the sale. It’s near impossible to prevent the willfully ignorant from being scammed. Putting it at the top of every thread forces learning.

Something that may help…

Making it a mandatory rule that sellers have to include this line at the top of every sale thread:

“If using email to communicate, do not send me any funds before confirming you are in fact communicating with me”

or something along those lines.

This way people are forced to learn the basics when viewing the sale. It’s near impossible to prevent the willfully ignorant from being scammed. Putting it at the top of every thread forces learning.

No one actually seems to read anything, Sharpoholic. The staff has posted up one side and down the other, making banners, etc, and somehow people still don't get the word.
Unfortunately it seems like BF at large is going to learn the hard way after more than half the people get scammed and it becomes tribal knowledge.
The whole situation is frustrating to watch, and what's worse is that I'm watching confused sellers/buyers get sour with each other, neither figuring out that the seller's been legitimately scammed.

I still mantain that the staff has done everything they can. If people want to use Zelle, Cashapp, PPFF they are going to have to use their brains.

Back