Randall Model 1 Simple Specification Identification

I'm looking to treat myself to a Randall Model 1 for my 40th (I'm 34, I don't mind the wait) so was gonna make my $50 deposit now to get a spot in line. I found this picture of a Randall Model 1 online and think its perfect and would like to replicate but I just want to make sure i get the customization options correct, hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but i believe the picture shows:

7"
Fingergrip Handle
Desert Ironwood Handle Material
Nickel Silver Double Hilt
Black & Silver Spacers

The pommel I'm uncertain of and i also have a few questions surrounding this, its either a Nickel Silver Butt Cap or the Duralumin Butt Cap?

I think its the Nickel Silver Butt Cap as the Duralumin has the protruding bolt?

Also does the Nickel Butt Cap throw off the balance or is it a non issue? The knife will get use for camping and light outdoor work.

Just a quick comment on your choice.

You should know that Desert Ironwood will darken significantly with exposure to hand sweat and the elements. The more you handle it and carry it, the more it will darken until it is a very uniform dark chocolate brown. Any natural colour variation or wood figure will be gone.

Personally I wouldn't choose it especially for a knife you are planning on actually using.

I prefer the Duraluminum but cap, I just think the contrast with the Nickel Silver guard looks nicer. But that's just me. Here are a few of mine..........

Just a quick comment on your choice.

You should know that Desert Ironwood will darken significantly with exposure to hand sweat and the elements. The more you handle it and carry it, the more it will darken until it is a very uniform dark chocolate brown. Any natural colour variation or wood figure will be gone.

Personally I wouldn't choose it especially for a knife you are planning on actually using.

I prefer the Duraluminum but cap, I just think the contrast with the Nickel Silver guard looks nicer. But that's just me. Here are a few of mine..........

Thanks for the reply, those knives look fantastic. I guess the practical choice would be micarta or the standard leather, that Ironwood looks so good though. I know its personal preference but what handle shape would you recommend, I see you have most if not all variations.

Go with duralumin for balance. I think it will have the exposed nut either way. Best bet is too request no nut if possible. Include your cel phone they will call you if they have questions.

Smart man thinking ahead and ordering early. I ordered my first one for my 50th when I was 45. That $50 deposit may be the best investment you ever make. Don’t forget to have your name put on it.

Go with duralumin for balance. I think it will have the exposed nut either way. Best bet is too request no nut if possible. Include your cel phone they will call you if they have questions.

Smart man thinking ahead and ordering early. I ordered my first one for my 50th when I was 45. That $50 deposit may be the best investment you ever make. Don’t forget to have your name put on it.
I'll contact Randall for the exposed nut. Maybe ill just engrave the surname and pass it on as an heirloom.

The exposed nut is only for knives with leather handles. If the leather shrinks the nut can be tightened by adjusting it. In the past older vintage Randall's came all with exposed nuts but those days are gone. A Randall number one is a great choice! The Butt cap on the knife you showed is made of duralumin. Ironwood is very heavy, so no need to balance the knife out with a nickel silver butt cap for that reason.

The exposed nut is only for knives with leather handles. If the leather shrinks the nut can be tightened by adjusting it. In the past older vintage Randall's came all with exposed nuts but those days are gone. A Randall number one is a great choice! The Butt cap on the knife you showed is made of duralumin. Ironwood is very heavy, so no need to balance the knife out with a nickel silver butt cap for that reason.
That's what I needed to hear, thank you for the info. I assume the micarta handle should be good with the nickel butt cap so I think I'm all set now. Going to order the following:

7"
Single Finger Grip Handle
Black Micarta Handle Material
Nickel Silver Butt Cap
Black & Silver Spacers

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Last edited:
Great info Sphinx3000 Sphinx3000

I think Micarta is a good choice. It will be a nice knife for sure. Another thing to consider, some Randall knives the finger grooves are ambidextrous others are not. So be sure to specify Left Right or Ambidextrous.
edit: I just saw you want a single finger groove now. So it is ambidextrous anyway.

D David9032 Are you going with stainless or high carbon blade?

Order it up do your best to forget about it and the time will fly by. When mine came I thought it was a used wrench I had bought from EBay. I threw it in the back of my work truck. A couple days later I smashed the box open and my Knife came flying out! It was quite a shock!

Last edited:
That's what I needed to hear, thank you for the info. I assume the micarta handle should be good with the nickel butt cap so I think I'm all set now. Going to order the following:

7"
Single Finger Grip Handle
Black Micarta Handle Material
Nickel Silver Butt Cap
Black & Silver Spacers

Thanks for the responses everyone.
You are very wecome!

A few options a lot of people don't know about because they aren't on the Randall website are the folowing:

You can have the edges of the butt cap rounded (option name: rounded butt cap) without counting as one of the maximum of five allowed options.
Also you can order all black or red fiber spacers and they also don't count as one of the five options. This can be handy if you wan't stainless steel but don't have one of the maximum of 5 options left.

I think Micarta is a good choice. It will be a nice knife for sure. Another thing to consider, some Randall knives the finger grooves are ambidextrous others are not. So be sure to specify Left Right or Ambidextrous.
edit: I just saw you want a single finger groove now. So it is ambidextrous anyway.

Order it up do your best to forget about it and the time will fly by. When mine came I thought it was a used wrench I had bought from EBay. I threw it in the back of my work truck. A couple days later I smashed the box open and my Knife came flying out! It was quite a shock!
Thanks, great story how you found your Randall!

Thought I would show you how I went with my #1. Commando micarta grip with nickel silver guard and nickel silver rounded butt. But however you choose I'm sure you will love it.View attachment 2524856
Love it. Only thing I'm indecisive on is the style of grip. Single finger, standard, border patrol or commando. Leaning towards single finger since I feel it'll be more secure.

I had a model 16 SP1. With finger grooves. It was too much.
My Buxton fighter is Border patrol shaped. It is not quite secure enough.
My replacement SP1 is ordered with single finger groove. I think it will be perfect.

view

My model one that I ordered and waited for has a model 2 commando leather handle. (When it came in I sold the one in the picture 8” is too much knife for me.)
I like the Commando shape a lot. If I were to order it again I would go with flanged scalloped butt cap.

view

Last edited:

Probably going High Carbon as It will get outdoor use.

Thanks for the reply, those knives look fantastic. I guess the practical choice would be micarta or the standard leather, that Ironwood looks so good though. I know its personal preference but what handle shape would you recommend, I see you have most if not all variations.
Micarta would be my choice.:thumbsup:
Personally for a knife that you will use I would go for the regular handle shape. No hot spots, ambidextrous, and very comfortable.

Back