Rare Smithsonian

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Randall Model 12. There are currently at least 7 variations of the Model 12 with blades ranging from 6" to 13". Do you have a sheath for it? This knife would have come with a Johnson rough back sheath. A 14" blade is unusual for a Smithsonian Bowie. They are usually 11" blades. If you have the original sheath it will probably have the number 12 stamped in the leather back, just above the Randall logo, below the logo should be a number referring to blade length. Collectors refer to the brass spine as having a "brass back" a practice Randall gave up in the early 1980s. Nice knife any collector would be proud to own. Unfortunately, the ivory handle gives the big auction houses fits...one in Florida that has major military auctions had a huge go 'round with the government over selling ivory decorated merchandise and his business will not touch it. Hope this gives you some more information on your knife.

22rimfire ,
Per my emails and phone calls with Jason Randall he told me this is a Smithsonian Bowie . The 14" blade is what makes it so rare . There never was a sheath for it because of the blade length .
The ivory is a double edged sword in that you are correct as to who will sell it . Seems not a lot of places want to deal with the ivory even though it is from 1965 .
Having the only 14" Smithsonian Bowie and an ivory handle makes it cool though .
Thanks for the info .
Steve

Hello tunefink ,
Talked with the former owner and he said there is not a sheath .
Would be kind of cool to have one though .
Steve

I've done business (bought a model #2 at Blade show in 2016)with tunefink...can recommend.
steve

image-asset.jpeg
image-asset.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back