Redmeadow Faro Bowie

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've stumbled across a combination of elements that I can see, for the first time, a style develop. I've never tried to create a recognizable style. My knives have some things in common but nothing intentionally, or noticeably similar to the eye that I can see. I'm completely fine with that and always felt that a Redmeadow style would develop on it's own or not. I make the knives I see in my mind, sometimes helped along by sketches, sometimes not. That might sound aloof but I find the best ideas happen naturally while the worst are forced, I just don't possess that level of skill.

The Cowbell is a good example of a knife that came about naturally. The moment it did I realized that it was a ball worth running with and then put a lot of effort into making it worthy of a design.

Let's get back on track, I tend to ramble.

The Faro Bowie that we just finished has a few elements that I'm going to work into what we'll call Faro Knives. A Faro knife might not have every single one of the elements, but the style will be there.

As far as materials go, Blackwood, Bronze, and heavily etched Wrought Iron.

For details, the card suits etch, heavily rounded spine, and museum fit.

For designs, though the focus will be on Gambler/Vest type Bowies, a Faro could be anything, the elements will define it rather than the type of knife.

Let's post the first Faro here and some of it's details.

I like the western feel this knife has to it.
IMG_20220222_142736_474-01.jpeg

IMG_20220222_140027_443-01.jpeg

Wagon wheel wrought iron spacer with a bronze guard.
20200424_134718-01.jpeg
IMG_20220222_143522_625-01.jpeg

The pins are Nickel Silver with the center pin peened and left slightly raised. The Nickel Silver pins contrasted better and really makes the color in the bronze guard pop.
20220104_172701-01.jpeg

Museum fit coffin handle. Three piece mortise tang construction. Alignment pin connecting guard spacer, and handle.
20210919_174006-02.jpeg

You need a magnifying glass and the right lighting to find the seams of the three piece handle, even then you have to know where to look.

20210921_115638-02.jpeg

20220104_172717-01.jpeg

Just thought I'd share those details and start a thread for what I hope will be a long line of interesting knives.

That might sound aloof but I find the best ideas happen naturally while the worst are forced, I just don't possess that level of skill.
Knowing how your creative process works *is* skill ;) Your modesty is becoming, but I call 'em like I see 'em and you're really talented John.

forgot to mention the sheath it looks great :thumbsup: I'm not sure what you call it but I love that extra layer of leather, really makes the sheath stand out versus a flat sheath

forgot to mention the sheath it looks great :thumbsup: I'm not sure what you call it but I love that extra layer of leather, really makes the sheath stand out versus a flat sheath
Thanks Frank, it's called an "inlay" sheath. You usually see an exotic piece of leather like snakeskin, stingray, gator, etc... I thought the Bison leather was a good match for the knife.

Outstanding. I'm working on a coffin handle of African Blackwood with nickel silver pins right now, and I have to say that you've set the bar VERY high.

Just beautiful work top to bottom. Fit and finish is exquisite. Design is inspired! Super cool John.
I love the texture of the wrought iron in an otherwise polished piece.

By definition you have achieved Shibui (渋い) with this one :thumbsup:

A dagger would be sweet. When I was typing this thread up s Sgian Dubh popped in my head but with a wrought iron guard and Instead of the typical filework, deep etched card suits.
YES!!!!!

Back