The Blade—Grind, Geometry, and Performance
The Handle—Ergonomics and Design
The Lock
Fit and Finish
Odds and Ends
Pros and Cons
Conclusion

Specifications and Pricing[/center]

The HTM Gunhammer in CPM S35VN is the standard edition. The knife is 4.25” long closed, and 8” long open, with a 3.5” blade, making it legal for carry in most states in the U.S.A., although you may want to check your specific laws. I will not be held responsible if you are not aware of the laws in your area.
The blade is made from Crucible CPM S35VN stainless steel, which is commonly used by many well-respected manufacturers due to its fine performance. The blade is tempered to 62 HRC, and comes in either a satin finish, or a non-glare finish using HTM's excellent DLC (diamond-like-carbon) coating. Mine is the black DLC finish. The knife uses Darrel's torpedo shape, and comes in either combo or plain edge. This particular knife is the combo edge variation. Like many knife nuts, I usually prefer a straight edge, but I get the feeling that combo edges are by far more popular among the average knife user, and I think there's no denying that a serrated edge has its advantages in cutting some types of material.
The handle is made out of 3D-machined aluminum, which has been anodized in a black Military Type III hard coat. The texturing on the handle is Darrel's ETAC (ergonomic tactical) design, which provides a solid grip and an elegant look. It weighs in at 5.2 oz (compare to 4.7 oz for a large Sebenza, or 5.8 oz for a ZT 0560), and uses a hefty .09” Titanium liner lock to secure the blade in the cutting position. The knife uses Darrel's Assisted Opening mechanism, which has more kick to it than any other AO mechanism I've ever used. More on that later... Some of you may be happy to learn that it is Made In the USA (capitalized on purpose). The knife retails for around 300 USD for the combo edge which should be available from HTM directly, as well as from authorized dealers.

Specifications

Blade Steel: Crucible CPM S35VN Stainless Steel, 62HRC
Handle Material: 3D Machined ergonomic ETAC GRIP
Blade Style: Torpedo, Plain Edge or Combo Edge
Blade Finish: DLC, Non-Glare
Blade Length: 3-1/2"
Open length: 8"
Closed Length: 4.25"
Locking Mechanism: 0.09” Titanium Liner Lock
Weight: 5.2 oz.*
Made in the USA
Lifetime Warranty

History and Details

The Gunhammer was introduced in 2004, and has become one of Darrel's best selling designs over the past 8 years. During this time period, it has seen a number of changes, from new pivots, different thicknesses for the blades, changing grind heights, to new anodization techniques. Darrel and HTM (Hand Tech Made) are constantly looking for ways to improve their product. Darrel has been described as a visionary, and as a custom knifemaker whose work is so in demand that it has been described as “some of the most sought-after in history.” I admit to some bias, in that Darrel has been my favorite designer since I got into knives. I believe the Gunhammer is so-called because the styling of the flipper is reminiscent of the hammer on a Colt Commander pistol.

Unboxing

Like all HTM knives, the knife will arrive in HTM's attractive box:

20121204_104250_zps309b9281.jpg

I think packaging is often indicative of the company's philosophy. If it's a company which aims to provide cheap knives for the undiscerning company, they'll shove the knife in that clamshell plastic packaging that requires a really good knife to open. In fact, some of those knives that come in said packaging aren't even sharp enough to cut themselves out of that packaging. I've been known to say that such clamshell packaging is a good test of an EDC knife. Most decent production knives will come in a no-frills box with the company's logo on it. HTM's box, on the other hand, is sturdy cardboard, and even includes a distinctive geometric design. The box is actually sturdy enough for use as a gift box for jewelry or other things. To me, that confirms that HTM truly is a mid-tech company (a step above production knives in terms of quality, while not actually being a full-on custom). Most knives will come in a little foam nest. HTM provides a high quality cushioned case, similar to the ones they use for the full custom knives sold by DDR. In the past, the cases were identical, but the HTM cases now include the HTM logo, instead of the DDR logo. Otherwise, the cases seem to be identical.

20121204_104301_zpsba71f295.jpg

Again, the quality of the case screams quality. It's made from durable nylon fabric with nice tight stitching with good quality thread, a nice soft liner with plenty of foam to cushion your knife, and a solid zipper. The best part is that the case is actually large enough to fit a pair of eyeglasses or sunglasses. I don't ever use the case for my knives, because my HTM knives are for every day carry. However, I've used them to protect a spare pair of glasses, and they do a fairly good job at that, despite not being a hard case. The case can also fit 2 knives in a pinch, although they'll be snuggled up close, and may scratch each other.

Open the case, and you'll get your first glimpse of the knife:

20130116_151359_zpsab84a6e4.jpg

The first time I looked at a Gunhammer, I thought that it looked too small to actually house a blade as large as it was advertised as having. However, Darrel's design philosophy is renowned for minimizing handle size while maximizing blade size. If you've ever seen his Madd Maxx folding dagger, you'll realize that it takes a designer with a lot of skill to design a full-on dagger that can fold up and still be small enough to be portable in a (large) pocket. That same skill went into the Gunhammer's design. Press the flipper, hold on tight, and out pops a surprisingly large blade.

20121204_104429_zps7e154730.jpg

Be warned, Darrel's Assisted Opening Mechanism has a lot of oomph to it. I usually have to warn people to hang on tight when they deploy the knife, because it can actually kick itself out of your hand. The kick isn't quite as bad as it was on earlier renditions, because the blade is a bit heavier, but it still deploys with authority. Of course, once you've opened the blade, you're probably hoping to cut stuff. So, let's talk about the blade!

The Blade—Grind, Geometry, and Performance

The blade on this knife is 3.5” of DLC coated CPM S35VN stainless steel. I won't talk a lot about the steel because it has been out for a while (it was introduced in 2009), and I tend to think it's one of the more well-known knife steels out there. It's got solid edge retention, but the addition of Niobium is intended to increase toughness (over S30V), while retaining excellent wear resistance, etc. Many of the CPM steels do tend to be fairly hard to sharpen, however, in comparison to other types of steels. If you're bad at sharpening, I wouldn't necessarily let that stop you, as you can always send your blade back in to HTM for resharpening, if you don't want to learn how to do it yourself. There are also many expert sharpeners, who can assist you.

20121204_104448_zps5dcb314c.jpg

The geometry of the knife is excellent as well. The bowie and torpedo blade shapes have almost identical curvature, which seems to work well for a normal cutting motion: your hand will travel maybe 2.25” horizontally, while you get the full 4” length of the edge against the surface you're cutting. However, the bowie blade has a very slight recurve, so it may have slightly better cutting ability in a draw cut. I personally prefer the torpedo blade, so I was pleased to get a torpedo version for this review.

20121204_104529_zps46f02499.jpg

The new grind on this knife is lower than on the earlier torpedo rendition I have, which has a very high grind. It's now .75” up the blade, instead of a full inch. I generally prefer higher grinds, but I think this one makes sense for the M390, particularly since it may help provide better lateral strength (although you should still never pry with your folding knife). The blade is also thicker, at nearly 4mm thick, compared to around 3mm for earlier models.

20120908_121126.jpg

I believe the edge angle on a stock Gunhammer is 35 degrees, which provides for a nice slicy edge. Mine came razor sharp, and even after nearly 2 months of carry and moderate use without ANY resharpening or stropping at all, is still sharp enough to shave!

20120925_2309141.jpg

The finish on the knife is excellent as well. There are no visible tooling marks, putting it ahead of most production knives that I've seen. It's possible that the DLC coating covers up any small tooling marks that may have come from the manufacturing process, but it's an incredibly clean finish, particularly for a semi-production knife. For those who have followed HTM in the past, you need not worry about quality control, from the looks of this blade. I looked long and hard, and couldn't find any flaws in the finish, as such. The grinds are perfectly even, and the tip profile from the back of the blade is perfect:

20130116_151945_zps736fe81a.jpg

There's also jimping on the back of the blade. The jimping is fairly thin and closer together than on previous models, and gives very good grip to your thumb. However, it doesn't seem to be aggressive enough to do much abrading, so I'd say it strikes a fairly good balance, and I'd guess even someone who hates jimping wouldn't be overly offended by this rendition.

20121204_104632_zpse34f87d2.jpg

Performance is excellent. Cardboard cuts very easily, as does paper, plastic, and any number of other things that an every day carry knife might face in the city. It does fine with wood as well, and has proven to be quite durable. I haven't sharpened it yet, and have carried it as often as I can get the M390 Gun Hammer out of my pocket, and it's still shaving sharp. If I had to identify a flaw, it would be that, when cutting paper and other similar types of things, if I cut along the entire edge of the blade, when I reach the transition between the serrations and the plain edge, the material often catches, causing a tear. I suspect that could be addressed by rounding the edge at the transition somewhat, so that instead of an angle, you have more of a curve. But that's a common problem with combo edge knives, from what I've experienced, so it shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

As usual, I like to I try out the blade on some leather, so I could see how clean the cuts were. Here's the result:

20130116_153439_zpsa5e8318c.jpg

I found that the serrated portion was pretty ineffective on leather, however. It kept hanging up, and didn't cut nearly as smoothly as I would have expected.

20130116_153504_zps77ebfb55.jpg

Well, cardboard, paper, and shaving are all popular city EDC tasks, but I wanted to give it a tougher test, so I tried out some tough .25” manila rope. The fibers on such a rope are a good test for an EDC knife. I was able to cut through the entire rope on a push cut, which made me happy.

20130116_153120_zps05fca668.jpg

How about a draw cut? The serrated edge got it nicely started but made a bit messier cut. It was pretty easy to get through, however.

20130116_153200_zpsd8cca6cb.jpg

I also tried a chop, using just a wrist flick to generate the power. It easily cut through 3 strands, but didn't fully penetrate the last.

20130116_153231_zps3939f6e7.jpg

My next challenge is to run the blade over the bamboo cutting board repeatedly for about an hour and a half while I watch a movie, so as to dull the blade. After that, it still did a reasonably good job at cutting paper.

20130116_153703_zps9205b206.jpg

I still think this blade would hold up very well to hard use, but I'm not a believer in “tests” like batoning folders, prying, and other things that generally qualify as abuse. Of course, the blade isn't the only important part of a knife. What about the handle, you ask?​

The Handle—Ergonomics and Design

The handle design is actually what sold me entirely on the Gunhammer. Okay, I should admit, the Gunhammer is my favorite knife of all time. If it came with an AXIS lock or something similar, it would be my ultimate grail knife. What do I like so much about the handle design, you ask? For starters, I really like how close the handle to blade ratio is. It's only 4.25” long, but unfolds to a whopping 8” OAL, with a 3.5” cutting edge. You get a lot of blade in a relatively small package when closed. I also like the contouring of the handle.

20121204_104549_zps5734e6de.jpg

The handle fits the shape of your hand very well, with two large indents for your pointer and middle fingers (and it works quite well for people with both big and small hands), and a nice curve for the other two fingers. It's curved slightly forward, which helps keep the knife in your hands, so it doesn't fly out, while having a nice curve that fits into the palm very well. This knife fits my hand like a glove in most standard grips.

20121204_104645_zpsddc61301.jpg

Hammer or saber grip:
20121204_104741_zpsaedb75f9.jpg

20121204_104733_zps1ace3adf.jpg

Reverse grip: edge out:
20121204_104754_zps01bcfe44.jpg

You can also choke up on the blade if you don't have terribly wide fingers, and put your finger in the unsharpened choil area by the ricasso. However, it's not comfortable in a reverse grip with the edge in, as the flipper pokes into your palm. That may be true for most flippers, however.

But that's not all. Most production knives tend to be fairly blocky affairs (take most Spyderco knives, and most of the Kershaw/ZT lineup for examples) in the 3rd dimension. Spyderco in particular has a knack for designing knives that are comfortable, despite being largely flat in the 3rd dimension. I really prefer full contouring, where the knife is actually rounded. My hand isn't rectangular, so why should a handle be only shaped in 2 dimension? The Gunhammer is 3D machined, and contoured in 3 dimensions, making it highly comfortable. Note the contouring for the fingers and the curvature along the back of the knife as well:

20121204_104854_zps5928f8b7.jpg

The other thing you've probably noticed is that the handle is textured. Darrel calls his texturing ETAC, which stands for Ergonomic TACtical. I sometimes feel that ergonomics is more of an instinctual thing for many designers, which is why Darrel's handles just feel a little more refined to me. I hate a blocky knife, and this fits me to a T. The new Military Type III anodizing on the handles has a nice matte finish, and it feels grippy, yet not uncomfortable to the touch. Have you ever run your hands across a piece of textured G10, and felt like it could abrade your skin? You don't have that problem with ETAC. It's smooth enough to be comfortable, yet textured enough to be grippy, even in a gloved hand.

You may also note the aggressive jimping on the flipper and the Ti liner-lock. It's very easy to deploy the knife with the flipper and to release the liner-lock, and the jimping gives the flipper that distinctive gun hammer look.

20121204_104508_zps86199c50.jpg

I also really like the pocket clip on this knife. The clip is actually now machined into the handle frame, unlike previous models, and thus feels more comfortable in hand. This is actually the first knife where I didn't immediately remove the pocket clip. I've used it enough to know that I'm actually okay with the pocket clip, for once. There's also a spot machined into the handle so you can attach it tip-up instead of down, although you are limited to one side of the handle. That's not as bad for lefties like myself as you might think. Why, you might ask?

Remember this pic?
20121204_104429_zps7e154730.jpg

Notice the indent in the clip, where it provides retention to clip to your pocket? If you look at the knife and where the placement of the clip falls, it's angled down from that second finger groove. In fact, it's angled precisely so your finger naturally falls into that point when you're gripping the knife, if you're left-handed like me. If you aren't, the entire clip falls into your palm, which is probably the most comfortable place for it to be. I was surprised by how comfortable it is in either hand. The clip is also longer, and the knife rides reasonably low. It's quite discreet, and usually goes unnoticed, although my propensity for wearing black pants may have something to do with that, as the clip blends in. It's tapered, and generally fairly simple, and the anodization is pretty solid. I did notice that, after about 6 months of heavy use, the clip on my M390 knife, which is my main EDC, did start to work loose. I have yet to identify whether the screws are stripped or if they just came loose.

Darrel also eschews the use of lanyard holes. Instead, you can hook your lanyard through the spacers in the back of the knife. I think that gives the knife a good look. Earlier renditions also sometimes had a problem whereby the back edge of the knife could stick up enough that it was possible to cut yourself by running the pad of your finger down the back of the knife when it was closed. That issue seems to be resolved with this rendition of the knife, although some have still reported receiving ones with that issue. It's easily fixed with a sharpening rod, or by sending back in to HTM, however.

I tried to get a picture of the assisted opening mechanism, which uses a coil spring.

20121204_104825_zps430e2ee1.jpg

I'm of the opinion that the coil spring is more mechanically sound than the torsion springs that are more commonly used. It's also got one heck of a kick. Did I mention it can jump out of your hand if you're not careful? I did a short video demonstrating the problem with one of the earlier renditions.

This problem (or feature, for those of you who like a kick) is actually not as bad on this newer model, because the blade is a good bit thicker, and therefore requires more energy to move. It's still got a nice kick to it, but doesn't seem to fly out of my hand as easily. Once it deploys, the blade locks up smoothly, which brings us to...

The Lock!

Lock strength is very important to many people, and many consider the liner-lock to be one of the weakest lock types. The liner can bend out of place, rendering the lock non-functional. However, the HTM Gunhammer in CPM S35VN uses a beefy .09” thick chunk of titanium. It's actually got a thicker liner-lock than the vaunted ZT 0350, which has an excellent reputation for being able to hold up to a good amount of abuse.

20121204_104457_zpsd1d3fcd8.jpg

The jimping on the lock is very refined, and extends all the way across the lock, instead of only being on the inside of the knife. There are now 5 indents instead of 4 half ones. Lockup is solid and early, and there's no blade play on my model at all. There's also a ball-bearing in the lockbar, so the knife deploys silky smooth. It's nice to not have that friction, because assisted openers are harder to close than manual knives. I've gotten used to closing them, although I've got a manual version on order. The finish on this rendition is also the best that I have seen to date. It looks much cleaner, with a darker finish and no obvious tooling marks.

Fit and Finish

I've addressed fit and finish fairly extensively already, but I do want to reiterate that the fit and finish on this knife is generally higher than what you'll see on most production knives. I'm of the opinion that Spyderco probably has the best fit and finish of the main production companies, but you'll still notice the occasional uneven grind on those. I'm not sure if this knife is 100% representative of the quality you can expect to see from HTM every time, but this one is even better than the previous versions that I've had, and I'm very happy with the outcome. I do think it's easier to get a clean looking fit and finish with DLC, but that shouldn't detract. I do think that if this knife is representative of a random sampling, that Darrel's new quality control team is doing a great job. I can only speak to the knives that I've gotten from HTM (this is my fourth Gunhammer), and every one has been 100% solid to date. It's really impressive work, considering it's less expensive than the ZT 560, which is a current popular production knife, and MUCH better than the Rift, which is usually only a little bit less expensive than the Gun Hammer. The fit and finish is what you'd expect out of a mid-tech knife, but it's got a surprisingly low price tag for the quality, in my estimation. The heat treat has proven itself to be perfect, and everyone that sees it describes it as a serious piece of equipment. Now, for those on certain forums, you may have heard that there have been some recent QC issues. I can't speak to any issues on those regards because I've managed to get entirely top quality knives thus far. But I will say that I am completely confident that HTM will take care of you if you DO happen to end up with a less-than stellar example of the craft (which you can probably minimize in the first place by buying directly from HTM). I suspect these issues will gradually disappear, but if you do happen to get a knife and don't feel the quality is up to par, in my opinion your first step should be to contact HTM.

Odds and Ends

There are a few other little details worth mentioning, such as the pivot. It's a massive pivot, which looks to be substantially larger than the pivots in older models, and now has a tri-hub design which for some reason I want to call a tsunami. Don't ask me why. It seems rather reminiscent of a shuriken or something.

20130116_153013_zpsb958e476.jpg

Everything about this knife screams strength. It's elegant, yet still built strong. I try to avoid abuse, but I admit that I used one of my earlier Gunhammers to help me pry open some elevator doors when I got stuck in an elevator for several hours (surprisingly, that DOES happen outside of movies), and this one is built even tougher than those. I do not, of course, recommend doing that to any knife, and it will probably void any written warranty. However, I don't ever feel that my knife will be inadequate to any situation I might find myself in. I love the new anodizing as well. On most knives, particularly AO knives, the thumbstuds (or blade stops) smack into the top of the handle, and can cause wear. The new anodizing wears much better than the previous models, as I still have very little wear after 3 months of daily use with my M390 version, and none at all on this version.

Pros and Cons
Pros
Fit and finish is excellent – no visible flaws
Handle is incredibly comfortable, even for lefties
3D machined and contoured handle with ETAC texturing for grip
Heat treat is perfect
S35VN steel
Strong pivot
Beefy titanium liner-lock
Aggressive 35 degree factory edge
Refined jimping
Elegant looks
Tough Military Type III anodizing on the aluminum handle scales
Easy to deploy with both thumb studs as well as flipper
Powerful Assisted Opening system
Handle clip that's actually pretty comfortable
Great handle-to-blade ratio
Good looking packaging—including free case
HTM has great customer service

Cons
This particular run may have had some quality control issues
Cannot be held in reverse grip with edge in comfortably
May be too small for people with very large hands
Impossible to adjust pivot without removing handle clip
Uses Torx screws, so cannot remove handle clip without a Torx set
Handle clip may work loose over time and extended use
More pricy than most production blades
Doesn't use an AXIS-type lock

Conclusion

I had a tough time coming up with things NOT to like about this knife. The Gunhammer already espoused everything that I really like in a knife, from a 3d contoured handle with texturing that's not so aggressive as to be painful, but still good enough to provide grip, a good flipper that's comfortable and easy to deploy, and still function as a guard to prevent my hand from slipping up onto the blade, a comfortable pocket clip, good steel, perfect fit and finish, and built to last, while still retaining an elegant look, and provides a lot of blade in a relatively small package. The newest rendition of Gun Hammer is all that and more. It's also backed up by HTM's excellent life-time warranty, and has excellent attention to detail, from the packaging to the performance. Many of the things that I love about this knife are matters of personal preference, but at the end of the day, if you're looking for a knife that's sharp, tough, and elegant, you could do a lot worse than giving the HTM Gun Hammer a try.

Stickied! Thanks for all the work you did putting together such a detailed, objective -- and ultimately positive -- review. Definitely shows why you won the contest to be the designated review guy! :thumbup:

I'll drop Darrel a line and see if there's another knife we might be able to send your way sometime in the next month or two. Maybe the Pinkerton BroadHead, Randall King Desert Enforcer fixed blade, or one from among the Lambert/Lightfoot/Collins folders.

Excellent review. Very informative and detailed view of the knife. I have been very interested in this particular knife (for some time now) and this was very helpful. Thanks!

Glad you folks enjoyed. It's a fantastic knife. I can't wait for the S90V one as well. To date, my favorite is still the M390 version, however. That's a great steel.

Great review, btw. I just ordered an S35VN Gun Hammer yesterday. DLC plain edge blade, flat dark earth handles. Should be here Tuesday!!

Gonna be a long 3 days until that package arrives, I bet. I remember waiting for my first Gunny... Be safe!

I might just. I think if I do, I'll restrict it to members in good standing of the HTM subforum, and preference to those who haven't gotten to try a Gunny yet. Once I find my M390 one, I'll set something up.

Thanks for the superb review. The gunny barely registered with me as a knife worth owning; now I want one. Badly.

Great review. Thanks! Does the pivot require a certain tool for tightening?

I am looking at this knife, but have a few questions (especially after the youtube video where there's front-to-back wobble on the blade and the thumbstuds come loose).
Can you open it with the thumbstuds? He says the flipper catches on his finger if he tries.
Do you find the grip too bulkly? Can you measure the width?
I find the Endura 4s a bit thing, but the ZT350s a bit thick...these LOOK huge, but the video I saw was zoomed in. Why do you think he beefed them up so much?
Thanks.

I am looking at this knife, but have a few questions (especially after the youtube video where there's front-to-back wobble on the blade and the thumbstuds come loose).
Can you open it with the thumbstuds? He says the flipper catches on his finger if he tries.
I find the Endura 4s a bit thing, but the ZT350s a bit thick...these LOOK huge, but the video I saw was zoomed in. Why do you think he beefed them up so much?
Thanks.
There were some QC issues a year or so ago, specifically with pin connecting the studs slightly deforming/loosening, which since the studs serve as blade stops caused the front-to-back blade play. But by all accounts those have been fixed in more recent batches.

In terms of opening, "thumbstuds" is a bit of a misnomer since it's not meant to be opened with the studs, just with the flipper. The studs' function in the knife's design is solely as a blade stop.

Thanks.

Let's see. I can open mine just fine with the thumbstuds, particularly the assisted version. You want to push up and out with it, but yes, the flipper can catch your finger if you try to do that. But, I don't know why you wouldn't just use the flipper...

What separates the Gunhammer from other knives that you may have tried, high end or low, is that it's actually ergonomically designed for your hand in 3 dimensions, instead of 2 like virtually every other production knife. The knife is 5/8" thick and averages around 5/16"-1.25" wide, and is by far the most comfortable folder I've ever had in my hand. The ergos are far better for me than a Sebenza, Hinderer, or any Spyderco, although Spydies tend to be pretty darn comfortable for a knife designed only in 2 dimensions. I'm with you on the ZT350. If you saw my comparison review, I wasn't a fan of the 350. 560 is okay, but there's a lot about it that I hate. Unless you have huge hands, it's a whole different ergonomic experience than most folders you might have tried.

The Gunhammer I received last Friday (is damascus) was centered so poorly that the standoff chipped the blade when closed. Never would have thought that possible on any knife. It's a shame I have to send it back.

Back