Shaving with a regular knife

But I want to hear from people who've actually shaved their face, or their legs, or their... *ahem* ...with a regular knife. How was it? Any tips?
Well the thought never really crossed my mind until yesterday when I put a very nice fresh edge on a Mioroshi Deba (Japanese chef/fish knife) and recalled this thread.
8885973A-7D10-4457-8C46-6054736ED947.jpeg

So I figured - “For Science! For BladeForums!” - and gave it a shot.

Just a test pass mind you, I was filming with my off hand so couldn’t even stretch my skin taught. 😯

Also, not really a “regular” knife, but one with some distinct geometric similarities to my actual straight razor.

309EC40E-736B-4259-8A6E-1542015963B9.jpeg
FEB7DF8A-13C7-4F19-9F7B-64BBFE3273D5.jpegF058F9E5-A7DB-4ADC-8BEF-4BBED084C26F.jpeg

330736BA-02F4-4869-9948-0654950A3250.jpeg
A411542E-E635-4869-8FB0-7324ED29A35C.jpeg
Not as good as my razor, but I could get used to it…

Tips? Yeah - make damn sure it’s sharp. ;)

Last edited:
Well, I sharpened an old folder (Gerber Bolt Action) to the thinnest possible angle, having carried it for a good many years. Free-hand sharpened using stones. It gave a pretty good shave. Just a lot more resistance than with a straight razor, so I did it more slowly. The edge is still good enough for EDC.

Everybody ought to try shaving with their knife. The sooner you try, the sooner you will appreciate what wonderful things razors are!

We all go through this phase. Just be careful so you survive this period.

Is it safe enough? I tried it once and...
Shaving with a regular knife is not recommended for a number of reasons. First, knives are not designed to be used on the skin, and as a result, they can easily cause cuts or scrapes. Additionally, the blades of a knife are much sharper than those of a razor, and thus, there is a greater risk of accidental nicks and cuts. Finally, using a knife for shaving is much less efficient than using a razor, and it is more likely to result in an uneven shave. For these reasons, it is best to stick with shaving with a razor.
Answering the main question, not for the thread, btw.

Well, considering that the first sign of a dull razor is getting more cuts.... It's counter-intuitive, I know, and there are a lot of factors involved, and there are millions of words written on how to define "sharpness" so I won't wade into that debate, but to reduce anything to "X sharper than Y" needs a lot more homework, because it would overturn a lot of actual research.

Back