Shop Talk Q1 / 2024 - Build Challenge - Bowie Knife

here at the back of the handle you can see a faint black line between the stainless liner and the brass frame. That is epoxy (or in some places an actual gap). It looks a bit worse in reality, the pictures do not show it well. Not critical for sure, but I would like to send this knife away at some point, and I do not feel comfortable doing that in this state.

6upAsKY.png

20240407_183835_copy_3024x2268.jpg20240407_183758_copy_3024x2268.jpg

It's not finished yet.
After sending it off to Texas Knifemaker Supply to have it heat treated I find out they have use the same recipe regardless of the steel type. I ended up with a 3v blade at 56 Rockwell. Not what I wanted. Boneheads should have sent it back to me instead of screwing it up.
Anyway, it will remain unfinished until I get the blade properly hardened.

CPM3v steel, Gidgee wood handle, nickel silver guard, nickel silver and black G10 pins, abalone inlay.

View attachment 2545620View attachment 2545619

It's not finished yet.
After sending it off to Texas Knifemaker Supply to have it heat treated I find out they have use the same recipe regardless of the steel type. I ended up with a 3v blade at 56 Rockwell. Not what I wanted. Boneheads should have sent it back to me instead of screwing it up.
Anyway, it will remain unfinished until I get the blade properly hardened.

CPM3v steel, Gidgee wood handle, nickel silver guard, nickel silver and black G10 pins, abalone inlay.
That's really tough. Now if the next heat treatment goes well, you're going to have to polish it again and lose the fit to the guard. How thin is the edge? It might bacon if it's too thin...
56 is far from ideal, but I'm not sure I'd send it out again. (of course I did send one back to be redone after they did a uniform hardness instead of a hamon)

That's really tough. Now if the next heat treatment goes well, you're going to have to polish it again and lose the fit to the guard. How thin is the edge? It might bacon if it's too thin...
56 is far from ideal, but I'm not sure I'd send it out again. (of course I did send one back to be redone after they did a uniform hardness instead of a hamon)
It's only at 220 grit right now.
The fit to the guard should be good, there is a shoulder on the ricasso.
Luckily the edge is not too thin so I should be good there.
It's noticeably softer than it should be, scratches easily. It sands almost like it was annealed.
Worst case, I make a new blade. The handle is pretty well done.

Back