Show your Feathersticks

100_8745.JPG

100_8729.JPG

100_9848.JPG

Well I was gonna post mine,.... until I saw these. :O I'll have to make some better ones tonight.

Many here make them much nicer than my own, although I probably do better than I admit. Point is though after I read Codger saying that it doesn't matter if they fall off the stick or whatever, it was like an epiphany. They don't have to be perfect or perfectly pretty. As long as I can and do make my shavings thin enough to start with a ferro rod, I really don't care how they look. All I ever wanted was quick natural materials fire making, possibly in bad weather. I feel at that stage now, and have for a while. I do however appreciate the pics and tips passed down as they have helped me on my journey, so thanks everyone.

This is my own Maritime Machete, sort of a Kukri-ish type thing with a 11 inch cutting edge I made last year.

maritimemachete023.jpg

maritimemachete025.jpg

Nice! I've discovered I can make a decent feather stick by planting the khuk tip into a log and dragging the feather stick along the blade's edge. It offers a lot of control. I always thought the "neck" where the blade is shallow would be best for this, but find the belly works best for me. Nice blade and curls.

This is a poor pic of the technique I use. I need a third hand for the camera. The curls are poor, partly because I'm not that good and partly because I was using stalks from an esparanza bush. That stuff just doesn't shave well for some reason. But, my technique is improving slowly!

9-15-13007_zpscecfd449.jpg

Last edited:
Many here make them much nicer than my own, although I probably do better than I admit. Point is though after I read Codger saying that it doesn't matter if they fall off the stick or whatever, it was like an epiphany. They don't have to be perfect or perfectly pretty. As long as I can and do make my shavings thin enough to start with a ferro rod, I really don't care how they look. All I ever wanted was quick natural materials fire making, possibly in bad weather. I feel at that stage now, and have for a while. I do however appreciate the pics and tips passed down as they have helped me on my journey, so thanks everyone.

One nice thing about a big clump of shavings stuck together (especially big/small and thick/thin together) is it's a small fire from tender to kindling which won't blow around and can be taken straight into the emberlit once lit. Then more kindling added. It's kind of handy like that. Not really needed, as a small fire outside the stove will get wood going, but cool none the less.

One of my newer go to blades- a Howling Rat...

And Alex W...think the scrapyard has done....3 in infi? SS4, Scrapper 5 special in infi and the War Dog. Those are the ones I recall...

Seeing your guys pictures I realized I have a lot of practice to do. I now just take out my pocket knife and work on em while I'm outdoor watching my kiddos. Here's one I did with my ferret recently:

After browsing this thread I was inspired to attempt making my first feather stick. I was using a cold steel gi tanto I recently modified and realized it needed a lot more sharpening. After about 10 minutes on a stone it was shaving sharp and I managed this...it was my first time at both modding and feather sticking so please go easy!
imagejpg1_zps66479c38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Was going to build a fire tonight for a hang out with the gang, so I decided to get some featherstick practice in there. I think I'm getting a little better!
imagejpg1_zps9c9a3a63.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back