Skinny Fat Bowie is Awesome

When might the larger skinny fat be produced again?

You are welcome to claim the Skinnest Fat Bowie, which is in the current 15N20 batch and not yet spoken for. Aside from that I am not sure.

What’s the point of such a tall blade with this low of a sabre grind, since you are not taking advantage of the improved cutting geometry a tall blade offers.
TLA TLA Gets it, well done.

Not every knife is meant to be a super slicer.

TLA TLA Gets it, well done

While I don't dispute the TLA's generally excellent outlook on knives, design and usage preferences are nevertheless a subjective matter, and it is neither reasonable nor welcome to come in here and imply that someone who doesn't view these things your way "doesn't get it".

Not every knife is meant to be a super slicer.
No, you're right, they're not. But then what is it that you are gaining by making the blade so tall in the first place? The blade wouldn't perform any differently if the blade height were halved, but at half the weight. It doesn't look big enough to be an effective chopper. Im genuinely curious. If its simply supposed to look neat, then that's a completely valid answer, or maybe there's a good reason im just not seeing. I felt that my comment was a completely valid criticism of the design.

Olumin Olumin I can't speak for anyone but myself. For me the height of the blade has appeal to be able to use it flat on a cutting board. I also baton alot of wood for my solo stove. Prying with a knife is bad but when it's an emergency like 100+ miles off the trail a tank is better than a vw for some things. I happen to enjoy a weekend BBQ trophy knife on occasion. I have also used a tall blade as a spatula before in a pinch off the trail. It will also pack all the chop it needs for small branch Cleanup. For me that's a small part of the appeal. What region of the world are you in? It seems to me not all designs are meant to work in all places.

Also as I and many others have experienced knives here can be had in many grinds and variations. Perhaps the question should be broached in its own thread as this one is dedicated to people that have use for it's design. Stay and look around there is so much variation to accommodate the users needs.

You are welcome to claim the Skinnest Fat Bowie, which is in the current 15N20 batch and not yet spoken for. Aside from that I am not sure.
David:
I was thinking of some thicker 80CRv2 or AEB-L with longer blade to use as another bush knife (I don’t need it to be super slicey). Maybe I can take Blindmouse up on his offer to check his out and decide if that would be the right knife, or possibly a Sylvan.

Regarding the additional height of the SFB (imho) it can add strength without having to be too thick, makes chopping veggies much safer if you used curved fingers to guide the blade (that is why tall blades are used by chef’s), it enables you to pinch the blade to use for some finer tasks, and I think it looks cool as well.

B beeinak I've got a pair of 6" knives in the works with overlapping purposes If you want my skinny fat I'd give you my spot.
That is much appreciated, but to be honest I would like to handle one first if possible. If you get overextended with incoming blades though, I might jump on it. I have a bunch of outdoors knives so I don’t need one- just thought it might be a nice addition. Thank you again for the offer.

No worries, I'm happy to add it to my collection I just figured I'd open up spot if you wanted it. I have another on that sheet 😁

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm now really starting to want a serrated one for myself.

That sounds really cool. I’d like to see pictures of that. Sell it to me when you’re bored of it 😆

Also, what steel and stock thickness did you have in mind for a serrated version?

Olumin Olumin I can't speak for anyone but myself. For me the height of the blade has appeal to be able to use it flat on a cutting board. I also baton alot of wood for my solo stove. Prying with a knife is bad but when it's an emergency like 100+ miles off the trail a tank is better than a vw for some things. I happen to enjoy a weekend BBQ trophy knife on occasion. I have also used a tall blade as a spatula before in a pinch off the trail. It will also pack all the chop it needs for small branch Cleanup. For me that's a small part of the appeal. What region of the world are you in? It seems to me not all designs are meant to work in all places.

Also as I and many others have experienced knives here can be had in many grinds and variations. Perhaps the question should be broached in its own thread as this one is dedicated to people that have use for it's design. Stay and look around there is so much variation to accommodate the users needs.
Olumin Olumin a tall knife is also good for creating a larger wound cavity in a stabbing situation.

*I like tall knives.

Back