Small Inkosi stiff action

nikshichu

Gold Member
I recently bought a small inkosi and the thumb stud is killing me. I tried loosening the pivot and the action was better, but then the blade was not centered. I just can't find that sweet spot. It's been a week since I got it.. is it not broken in yet? Any tips would be appreciated.

I would say it is not broken in yet. There is a CRK forum that might get more responses than the general section. Maybe a moderator will move this over for you.

If it's your first CRK many of us will understand but just know they're extremely rewarding to break in

You can polish the washers and lighten the pressure on the lock bar - but I'd recommend letting it happen naturally. It might take you longer than you want but from use it'll break in and continue to smooth out better than trying to rush it. Personally I'm not a big fan of the fluoridated grease they recommend because of how it seems to attract dust/dirt easier so if you haven't tried cleaning it out and using oil that's worth a shot too.

CRKs are one of those brands that tend to require a break in period. This isn't shoddy fit on their part, it just allows for a finely tuned knife to work itself in pretty near perfect spec.

I have a large Inkosi I bought in 2019, and while I don't carry it all the time, it's worn in to be one of the most glass like folders in my collection.

When I first got mine I took it apart to remove the lanyard. I found that after I put it back together with the grease and locktite that perfect action for me was to crank it just north of snug then give the wrench a backspace of loose. I don't care for floppy and drop-shutty, and this resulted in a knife that was silky smooth if not "fast". I've taken it apart maybe 3 more times since then, and this configuration seems to work well for me.

I cleaned the grease off my Sebbie 21 when I bought it about 12 years ago and switched to BreakFree CLP. Smooth as glass from then on.

Both my CRKs came with the factory lube bone dry. Things got much better with new PTFE lube and some daily use. The Inkosi is near drop-shut smooth at this point, it does take a bit of fiddling to get the pivot just right.

My firts CRK was a new large Inkosi, and for a while I was like WTF, is this thing ever going to get better ?

I took it apart and also found no real evidence of lube. After I added some light grease and re assembled things came together pretty fast whether what I did helped or not.

If it's your first CRK many of us will understand but just know they're extremely rewarding to break in

You can polish the washers and lighten the pressure on the lock bar - but I'd recommend letting it happen naturally. It might take you longer than you want but from use it'll break in and continue to smooth out better than trying to rush it. Personally I'm not a big fan of the fluoridated grease they recommend because of how it seems to attract dust/dirt easier so if you haven't tried cleaning it out and using oil that's worth a shot too.
Any specific oil and where to get it?

CRKs are one of those brands that tend to require a break in period. This isn't shoddy fit on their part, it just allows for a finely tuned knife to work itself in pretty near perfect spec.

I have a large Inkosi I bought in 2019, and while I don't carry it all the time, it's worn in to be one of the most glass like folders in my collection.

When I first got mine I took it apart to remove the lanyard. I found that after I put it back together with the grease and locktite that perfect action for me was to crank it just north of snug then give the wrench a backspace of loose. I don't care for floppy and drop-shutty, and this resulted in a knife that was silky smooth if not "fast". I've taken it apart maybe 3 more times since then, and this configuration seems to work well for me.
I did take it apart as soon as I got it to remove the lanyard, but then when I put it back together, the pivot was tighter than before. Anyway it is breaking in now, after my thumb bled to death lol. It'll get there I guess 😆

My firts CRK was a new large Inkosi, and for a while I was like WTF, is this thing ever going to get better ?

I took it apart and also found no real evidence of lube. After I added some light grease and re assembled things came together pretty fast whether what I did helped or not.
There was grease on mine, but the whole knife smelled like old rusty metal so I thought I'd clean it.. plus I wanted to remove the lanyard.

Both my CRKs came with the factory lube bone dry. Things got much better with new PTFE lube and some daily use. The Inkosi is near drop-shut smooth at this point, it does take a bit of fiddling to get the pivot just right.
I will look into it. Thanks 👍

I cleaned the grease off my Sebbie 21 when I bought it about 12 years ago and switched to BreakFree CLP. Smooth as glass from then on.
Owned a Seb 31 and the action on that one was way smoother too But I only cleaned it once after 2 years of fidgeting so I'd say it needs breaking in..

Any specific oil and where to get it?
Any quality PTFE grease will do, CRK grease separates and dries out so it's pretty low quality. I had Krytox 205g0 laying around so I used that, mechanical keyboard enthusiasts use it to lube keyboard switches, but its otherwise VERY overpriced. Finishline PTFE grease works very good too, should be able to find it in syringe form at bicycle stores. It takes very little to lube ajd if it's a decent grease it seals and lubricates for a really long time. Oils I'd rather on every washer knife but CRKs, tried nano oil and I almost immediately dropped it in degreaser to undo it. Felt like garbage. It's like CRKs are built to be used with grease.

For me, the smalls have always been a pain to break in. That’s why I only have one, a small regular that is smooth.
take it apart again to make sure everything is in place. Take the washers and lightly make a figure eight on a piece of leather or extra fine stone to see if they have any high spots. It won’t wear the washers down. The majority of the washer will have a polished look if they’re true to shape. Use a conservative amount of grease when you go back with it and put a smidgen of grease on the detent ball path and in the detent hole. Try to put as much thumb as possible behind the thumb lug and push out, then in a arcing motion.

Are you putting your thumb on top of the stud, or are you putting your thumb next to the stud and pushing from the side? The former will cause a sore thumb, while the latter won't.

Are you putting your thumb on top of the stud, or are you putting your thumb next to the stud and pushing from the side? The former will cause a sore thumb, while the latter won't.
I usually push from the side.

For the small inkosi:
- Pay attention not to push pressure on the lock bar
- it need a break in leriod
- during this break in period you will need to disassemble and to clean the grease/washers as you will get metal particules/dust into it that can cause an horrible action

I have 2 small inkosi and they have now a fantastic smooth action

Back