Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

Fake Euroedge. Pivot screw on wrong side, laser etching looks burnt, dull blade finish and a few other things.

405898A7-EC75-417B-BEDA-AC8913260347.JPG

I have a new in box Endura Wharncliffe and everything about it checks out but today I noticed the triangle mouth part of the Spyderco logo is a crisp perfect triangle, with no little indentation on the bottom of the triangle like found on other USA made Spydercos I have. Comparing to other Seki City Spydercos I also have they have only a triangle too. This must be a variance between manufacturing facilities? Because I highly doubt this is a fake.

Last edited:
As long as we're talking about fakes I just purchased this Spyderco off the flea bay. It is supposedly refurbished no box or paper work. So I figured I would ask here to get some confirmation as to validity of the knife as in being a genuine Spyderco or a fake. I am just not up on Spyderco's knves to be a judge myself. If anyone has any idea please let me know. I'll post in the general forums too. thanks and stay safe

PS I think this one has bearings in it and I think it is a Schempf design but not sure.

Attachments

• 20221208_113538 - Copy.jpg
    20221208_113538 - Copy.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221208_113729 - Copy.jpg
    20221208_113729 - Copy.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20221208_113553 - Copy.jpg
    20221208_113553 - Copy.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 19
As long as we're talking about fakes I just purchased this Spyderco off the flea bay. It is supposedly refurbished no box or paper work. So I figured I would ask here to get some confirmation as to validity of the knife as in being a genuine Spyderco or a fake. I am just not up on Spyderco's knves to be a judge myself. If anyone has any idea please let me know. I'll post in the general forums too. thanks and stay safe

PS I think this one has bearings in it and I think it is a Schempf design but not sure.

It's a C173GP Hungarian (designed by Szakonyi Gabor), and it appears to be a fake.

How can you tell cause other folks are saying it looks legit? Let me know if you know how to tell the difference. thanks man apprciate it.

I don't have mine with me to take pictures, but the bug logo is sloppier than anything I've ever seen from Taichung. Ditto the tang stamps. Without having it in hand I can't be certain, but I'd go with "FAKE" from those pictures. I'm also pretty sure there are more fake Hungarians than real ones on the market.

Ur correct. Watched a U Tube vid on them and it is indeed a fake. I appreciate all the information. thanks

Picked this up in a trade yesterday. Would like to hear from the experts if it's a fake. Luckily I didn't trade anything I'll really miss. So either way it won't kill me if it's fake. They did a good job if it is.

326451224_719776066381288_4474039299138337163_n.jpg326467359_3373026579576500_8903634413191357223_n.jpg

Think I just answered my own question. No stock images seem to have this screw... think mines a fake... oh well. Had to happen eventually.

326467359_3373026579576500_8903634413191357223_n1.jpg

Curious if anyone can tell me if this knife is fake or not. i know its really beat up but after looking at some other lionspy pics it makes me think its fake but i cant really tell.

That Lionspy is definitely fake. The engravings are the wrong color and alignment (notice how they run over into the primary bevel), and the pivot and body screws are incorrect as well. The plunge line is too close to the handle near the sharpening choil, and the choil is the wrong shape.

That Lionspy is definitely fake. The engravings are the wrong color and alignment (notice how they run over into the primary bevel), and the pivot and body screws are incorrect as well. The plunge line is too close to the handle near the sharpening choil, and the choil is the wrong shape.
Thanks for the info. The engravings being weird is what made me post it here in the first place. Thanks to you guys I now know that there are a multitude of other things wrong with it. Tore the guy trying to pass it off a new hole for trying to scam me.

Hi, picked up this Military brown G-10 from an online auction site. It's dirty and rusted, but I thought it might clean up to a nice user. However, now I think it's fake.

There's rust in places I wouldn't expect, and the washers are nylon/teflon instead of the bronze I expected. The liners are not skeletonized like the ones in the take-down videos online.

the pivot screw has a misshapen edge and doesn't have the quality machining I'd expect

many photos here:
is this a knock-off?

Last edited:
Curious if anyone can tell me if this knife is fake or not. i know its really beat up but after looking at some other lionspy pics it makes me think its fake but i cant really tell.

Not a Spyderco clip.
No lockbar insert.
The torx, pivot and framelock lock hardware are all incorrect.
The "Lionsteel" logo is incorrect.
The "Italy" is engraved in the wrong location.
The location of the jimping is incorrect.

I think there actually was an iteration of this knife that had a screw in this location. If I were to place a bet, my money would be on this knife being genuine.

That’s good news… it does seem like a knife that would be a lot of trouble to copy.

That’s good news… it does seem like a knife that would be a lot of trouble to copy.
On second thought, I think it may be a very good fake. I'm actually kind of shocked. The fullers are two wide and the Spyderco spider logo is not exactly correct. Also, these had polished G10 handles, so they should be shiny. I think I am leaning toward fake now.

There are some YT vids showing the same knife, but I cannot find any that show the Spyderco box.

Hi, picked up this Military brown G-10 from an online auction site. It's dirty and rusted, but I thought it might clean up to a nice user. However, now I think it's fake.

There's rust in places I wouldn't expect, and the washers are nylon/teflon instead of the bronze I expected. The liners are not skeletonized like the ones in the take-down videos online.

the pivot screw has a misshapen edge and doesn't have the quality machining I'd expect

many photos here:
is this a knock-off?
My money would be on "fake". Mostly based on the machining of the lockface. I'm not in the habit of taking apart my knives, but that part I'm very familiar with.

My money would be on "fake". Mostly based on the machining of the lockface. I'm not in the habit of taking apart my knives, but that part I'm very familiar with.

Thanks. The machining on the lock is definitely rough. The most suspicious part to me is rust on both the liners and the lock surface on the blade. I would have thought spyderco would use quality stainless.

The guts definitely don’t match other photos I found online, but there’s always a chance it’s a 1.0 type model or an early model before refinements, but somehow I doubt it.

Also there’s no date-code etched on the tang.

The seller of course denies he knew anything about it. “Bought it at a knife store years ago.”

I bought it for $90 and he offered a $50 partial refund, which I’m inclined to reject.

Back