Sticking Knife Used As A Utility Knife

I'm about to buy a set of Victorinox knives which will be my 1st ever decent set as have only had supermarket specials in the past. I'll be ordering paring and chef's knife but I currently use a cheap 12cm utility knife quite a lot for everyday things like cutting a sandwich / toastie in half, cutting cheese / apples and if other people are using the other knives may occasionally be used for veg as well.

Victorinox don't do utility knives in 12cm, would a sticking knife like this be OK to use as an everyday / utility?

My alternative is another smaller chefs knife like this but the handle's slightly angled up from the blade and has more height, I think I'd probably prefer a flat, not so high blade like the one I currently have.

It really will be just be used as a handy to grab for multiple everyday home use purposes, if ever I was doing a bigger task / lots of chopping I'd grab a chef's knife instead.

Any thoughts / help much appreciated.

My own preference would be the second one, since I don't like a handle where the front drops below the blade.

I think either would work fine, though.

I don't know if this is good or bad for you but sticking knives tend to be a little thicker and very stiff bladed. You don't want a blade bending when you are trying to stick an animal in the throat or heart.

My own preference would be the second one, since I don't like a handle where the front drops below the blade.

I think either would work fine, though.

That's a good point, I'll check the one I currently use later and see if it's the same.

I don't know if this is good or bad for you but sticking knives tend to be a little thicker and very stiff bladed. You don't want a blade bending when you are trying to stick an animal in the throat or heart.

Cheers for that and I don't think that'd be a bad thing as this is the one that's probably most likely to get any abuse as opposed to precision cutting, it really will be a grab it for any old job kind of knife.

The sticking knife would be utility. It's not meant for dicing. It's actually meant to stab a pig to bleed it out. Jugular. It would also work perfect for general cutting in the kitchen. From opening packages to meat portions.

The mini chef knife is well, mini. 4 3/4inch long. Meaning anything you're going to dice. Your knuckles will hit the cutting board first. 6 inches, 15.5mm is still tiny but it's better. I personally use a 7' inch. ~18mm. I wouldn't suggest your second choice.

With all these discussions about a Utility knife. What's it's purpose. Which one to choose.

Here's how it works. Your main knife is babied. It's the sharpest knife in the kitchen. What you use to prep food for eating.

To maintain your main knife. Keep it sharp. You use a utility knife for the rough work. Things you wouldn't dare use your main knife for.

With all these discussions about a Utility knife. What's it's purpose. Which one to choose.

Here's how it works. Your main knife is babied. It's the sharpest knife in the kitchen. What you use to prep food for eating.

To maintain your main knife. Keep it sharp. You use a utility knife for the rough work. Things you wouldn't dare use your main knife for.

Again I think this sums it up, it will be the beater ... I'm also ordering a 15cm chefs as I use the cheap one I currently have a lot and also getting a 20cm one as well.

I've only recently worked out where I've been going wrong sharpening properly for all these years and also have a very old 25cm Swimbo which I had no idea what it was until very recently.
It was given to us by sister in law who usd to be a pro chef and her husband currently is, it was so blunt though it sat in a cupboard for over 10 years, I just recently got it out and spent time bringing it back to what it should be but it is big so won't get used often.

Also thinking about getting a Sukoto as never had one.

What do you use as your main knife?

Again I think this sums it up, it will be the beater ... I'm also ordering a 15cm chefs as I use the cheap one I currently have a lot and also getting a 20cm one as well.

I've only recently worked out where I've been going wrong sharpening properly for all these years and also have a very old 25cm Swimbo which I had no idea what it was until very recently.
It was given to us by sister in law who usd to be a pro chef and her husband currently is, it was so blunt though it sat in a cupboard for over 10 years, I just recently got it out and spent time bringing it back to what it should be but it is big so won't get used often.

Also thinking about getting a Sukoto as never had one.

What do you use as your main knife?

Here's my baby. 7 inch. Honed on a ceramic rod. The case(blade cover) is from Victorinox.

Here's my baby. 7 inch. Honed on a ceramic rod. The case(blade cover) is from Victorinox.

Beautiful ... must admit 7" is probably the perfect in between, big enough without becoming cumbersome, maybe that's what I should be looking at instead of a 15cm and a 20cm, could make do with the one then ... especially as I already have the 25cm for if it's ever needed.

Beautiful ... must admit 7" is probably the perfect in between, big enough without becoming cumbersome, maybe that's what I should be looking at instead of a 15cm and a 20cm, could make do with the one then ... especially as I already have the 25cm for if it's needed.

The 7 inch. 18mm is a really thin chef knife. It's slim. Skinny. Not thick.

I daily cook meals, enough for two people. The size of the things I cut. 7 inch does everything I need, when I need it. No complaints. I have other knives from 6" to 8".

Easy to maintain an edge on. Stays quite sharp.

I like Robert Herder for paring knives if I wanted bigger I would look at a Petty knife.

Spend just a little more and it's a one and done thing. I've been through all the usual inexpensive paring knife options through the years and was always left wanting and looking to upgrade.

I like Robert Herder for paring knives if I wanted bigger I would look at a Petty knife.

Spend just a little more and it's a one and done thing. I've been through all the usual inexpensive paring knife options through the years and was always left wanting and looking to upgrade.

Kind of funny to see Cliff Stamp reviewing a paring knife, since I'm more familiar with his khukuri reviews.

Kind of funny to see Cliff Stamp reviewing a paring knife, since I'm more familiar with his khukuri reviews.
He did a pretty good job with the review but he missed the fact that they come from the factory with a single micro bevel. Right hand bias for for peeling tasks, if I remember right. I sharpen mine 50-50 because I never use them for peeling.

Check out Dexter Russel SaniSafe knives. To fill in any gaps between the Victorinox knives.

DR has more options / variations I believe.

I have a Benchmade paring knife I rarely use.

If anything gets peeled. It's done using a peeler. No way am I standing there, peeling something with a knife. That's an army cartoon. Nope.

As for the assorted paring knives in the kitchen. The only time I use one is for cutting an avocado in half.

I like Robert Herder for paring knives
Agreed.

The edges do take a little work, but can’t beat the price!

I’ve been very happy with both the stainless and carbon windmill parers. I thinned the stainless to a ridiculously thin ~zero grind scalpel and it’s still surprisingly tough.

27027CF5-0C42-4729-94F0-AFAEC0A472C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh and I like that sticking knife just fine - looks nicer to me than option #2, and having a thicker edge in the kitchen is nice…

Back