Sub-Hilt Fighters

In all the various forums I never see these beauties mentioned.Have always wanted a Loveless Big Bear or a Pendleton.Most makers have one form of sub-hilt in there offerings.What are the pro's and cons of this style of knife compared with a no frills combat blade?
Bob

For an awesome look at a Mad Dog Sub Hilt Fighter check this one out. It is the Baddest Blade I have ever seen. Hope this is legal. Spark if not it wont happen again.

http://www.lemoorenet.com/people/l/lkon/MadDog1.JPG,2.JPG,3.JPG

David Broadwell, and George Heron make some of the KEWLIST sub's (not the sex type) I have ever seen. George's are priced nice and made well. Davids are just fantastic in the hand and are more along the art style..
I believe Les Robertson carries both Robertsons Custom ...

Hi Darrel, thanks for the plug! Bob Loveless (who gets credit for the modern sub-hilt) and Lloyd Pendelton do make excellent sub-hilt fighters. As do S.R. Johnson, George Herron David Broadwell, Doug Casteel, Steve Rapp and Walter Brend.

There are only a few makers than can make a sub-hilt fighter correctly. Which is why when you go to a large custom knife show, you see very few.

They are the most difficult fighter to make. Which is the main reason you see so few (if they were easy everyone would do them). There are several makers who attempt them, but their junction work where the sub-hilt meets the tang leaves something to be desired.

As I consider myself to have a degree of expertise in this area (as I have been buying and selling SHF's for 15 years). I can say without hesitation that David Broawell makes the best Sub-Hilt Fighter in the world. There are others who can make the knife but none that can equal Davids ability to configure the SHF in so many ways.

I recommend anyone who can to take a look at any of the aforementioned makers work.

Ken, no worries, you can post pictures here.

We just don't want huge image files posted because it takes forever to download.

So, if you want to post a big picture, just post the link instead, like you did.

Spark

Back