The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

What are the anticipated prices for the coming EDC and chopper?

I don't actually know yet. I haven't done the math. It will be similar to previous offerings of similar patterns but adjusted for the inflation that we have been experiencing the last couple years.

I am good at missing various pre-orders, so anyone here is welcome to alert me when the EDC goes up

I am curious about your design process. I was intrigued by your shiv video years ago, got the UF a couple years back because I didn’t know if the 8” shiv would ever return. Well, now I have both and I see that the blade and handle resemblance between the two are strong the differences are significant. The blade geometry especially is totally different.

I haven’t seen handle designs like this elsewhere, and that seems strange given how well they seem to work, suiting a variety of grips, etc. How did you come up with this, was there a model you liked and modified, did you go through lots of prototypes to evolve to what we see now? Do you utilize feedback from users in the field or people in knife competitions?

Thanks

I am curious about your design process. I was intrigued by your shiv video years ago, got the UF a couple years back because I didn’t know if the 8” shiv would ever return. Well, now I have both and I see that the blade and handle resemblance between the two are strong the differences are significant. The blade geometry especially is totally different.

I haven’t seen handle designs like this elsewhere, and that seems strange given how well they seem to work, suiting a variety of grips, etc. How did you come up with this, was there a model you liked and modified, did you go through lots of prototypes to evolve to what we see now? Do you utilize feedback from users in the field or people in knife competitions?

Thanks
Nathan talks about this in the Shiv WIP thread he did a while ago:

Nathan talks about this in the Shiv WIP thread he did a while ago:

Thanks, Burke, that thread answered a lot of questions. A shame the pictures all expired, but lots of great info there!

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist
What’s your take on one piece hollow handle knives like this Chris Reeve Aviator?

View attachment 2548510

When it comes to grip and traction.

The first thing is the shape.
The second thing is the material.
The third thing is the texture.

A straight, round, knurled metal handle is not good.

We can appreciate it as fine machining and an interesting knife. But functionally I don't like it.

If we are going to argue that it is also a fighting knife, that knife needs to lock into your hand and you need to know where the edge and tip is without looking at it. That knife can spin in your hand and you won't even know what direction the edge is pointing.

If we are going to argue that it is also a fighting knife, that knife needs to lock into your hand and you need to know where the edge and tip is without looking at it. That knife can spin in your hand and you won't even know what direction the edge is pointing.
Unlike, say, this quality piece, which I have to say is the best-feeling knife I've ever had, even from CPK. I'm no knife fighter or anything, but it's fast, light, and you know where the point and the edge are when you hold it. Nathan, I know you said this was the fighter, but man... what a great knife.

We can appreciate it as fine machining and an interesting knife. But functionally I don't like it.

I’ve been super interested in the UG-tools 3D-printed titanium hollow-handle knives. Feels like they fix a lot of the issues of traditional hollow-handle knives (they introduce the new issue of requiring a blade-handle connection but it seems like there are probably mechanical and adhesive ways of resolving that).

So Nathan. Toilet paper roll, Over or under?
#notnathan

The correct way is patented.
550b2598ecad04cf649cedcd

But, but, but, Rambo!!!

k18是如何制作出来的?是切割钢板后热处理,还是将热处理的钢板切割

The steel is worked in the annealed condition. Soft. After heat treat it is hard, and it gets a little bit of grinding and sharpening. But most of the work is done before heat treat.

Back