The Cowbell Build Thread

Hi John Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives , was curious about the difference in sheath width on these. Did you make the tooled ones wider so the kids had more area to work with, or are all of the newer ones wider like this?

View attachment 2314190
No that was a design change. The one on the left is one of the first Cowbells made, I was running into issues with wet molding because they were so narrow and my stitches had to be too close to the edge. I was tossing sheaths because I'd sand into the threads while cleaning up the edges every once in a while. I started to widen them to get rid of that issue and then to a final template when I went to machine stitch (Left in the picture is handstitched, Right machine).

No that was a design change. The one on the left is one of the first Cowbells made, I was running into issues with wet molding because they were so narrow and my stitches had to be too close to the edge. I was tossing sheaths because I'd sand into the threads while cleaning up the edges every once in a while. I started to widen them to get rid of that issue and then to a final template when I went to machine stitch (Left in the picture is handstitched, Right machine).
Thanks John! Will kinda miss that OG sheath though...so slim!

Thanks John! Will kinda miss that OG sheath though...so slim!
Yeah, I had more time in the sheaths than the knives! Not sustainable and the new design is a better made sheath I think anyways and should be fairly interchangeable between knives. The old knives were hand traced from a template, so they which isn't perfectly consistent and I found the shape drifting eventually. The new ones are waterjet profiled so everythings consistent now.

Its interesting how time evolves our designs. Adn they do evolve or should for sure.

Workin on an Ivory G10 Wharncliffe, Bone and White Linen Zulu, and a Blue Linen Drop. They'll be straight sales on the Newsletter when complete.

It bothers me that I'm not taking Dibs right now but I'm working on getting a ton of Cowbells prepped so we can hit the ground running when Dibs come back. For those of you that have stuck with me through the year I appreciate it!

The Zulu is my favorite out of the three models I have. Going to give a spear point a try next tho.

Very nice. I have been enjoying this Case/Bose "Tribal Spear" so I think a Cowbell Zulu would probably suit me pretty well too.

zFKje8z.jpg

I have certainly grown pretty fond of that G10. I didn't think I would. I picked it because it was available and different from what was left on the table. I'd like to respectfully inform the folks who passed it over for the other options that it was indeed their loss.

😁

0w0E5mX.jpg
I had that one targeted but I was at the bottom of the list. Got a beautiful black linen tho!

I like that Opal G10, I wasn't sure when I ordered it but it looks really cool on a Cowbell. I'm not sure what my favorite is, the blue linen is up there but there's not one that I don't like. Which tells me I should probably expand my horizons with handle colors because I'm not the end user!

When I first started researching knives I quickly realized I had to ignore the materials completely. There were a lot of wild damascus and insane burl handles that were absolutely gorgeous but when I'd look at the knife I'd realize that some were actually horrible designs with no function in mind. I'd ask myself if this was a monosteel with a straight grain walnut would I still like the knife? A lot of the time the answer was no.

Back