Photos The Gallery of Joakim Lööv

Knife #14 - a hunting knife for when ...I never go hunting.

Blade: 5mm thick 15n20/1095 of an unknown maker (auction piece); edge lenght 10,5cm; OAL 21,5cm
Handle: mahogny with oak liners, brass mosaic pins and a brass lanyard
Sheath: argentinian leather with a snake skin pattern

nv8rygN.jpg

d5GeA2M.jpg

qiHBrHI.jpg

XWzxWyH.jpg

S6S33yG.jpg

Last edited:
Knife #15 - a horse trailer knife. The knife is designed for my wife or daughter to cut horse headstalls in case of an emergency when on the road with the horse trailer. The handle is thus small to fit their hands and to allow the knife to reach into small spaces while at the same time allow for a lot of force to be used without it turning in the hand or risk slipping onto the edge. The edge itself is on the knife's spine so it can get in between the horse and its headstall and not cut the horse.

Blade: Lauri field dressing small - 78mm long, 3mm thick and 21mm tall in 80CrV2 (OAL 170mm)
Handle: Maple, with a brass bolster
Sheath: Leather from an old sadle, with an oak inlay, and a paracord dangler

x1i7k0C.jpg

ifj42VX.jpg

OGFeeqm.jpg

d1ZGnZ3.jpg

Last edited:
I told myself what interest I have in looking at what is the opposite of what I love. Apart from the small problems of flat sole (it's the same for everyone, I reassure you), I take pleasure in following you step by step. Watch and see. Hear and listen. The puukko, I like it ...

Axe #1 - a restoration of an old axe head my grandfather left behind. AOL 35cm and with a total weight of 750g. I'll be using it as a camping axe.

Head: Made and stamped by Per Stålberg who lived between 1839-1920. Unknown steel type.
Handle: Unknown hardwood sanded to a 600 grit. Treated with a oil/wax mix, including a slip protective agent (normally used for staircases).
Cover: factory coloured cow leather, black linen thread, push button.

In the rough:
w5h4LWJ.jpg

Cleaned up:
lzlQnJP.jpg

Painted and hung:
as1bApX.jpg

Covered up:
qYoUNVo.jpg

Last edited:
Knife #16 - a desk knife. Some years ago I found an old Morakniv Classic 2/0 that my grandfather had heavily (ab)used. I cleaned it up a bit and have been using it frequently myself. I now decided to make my own version, as a tribute to both my grandfather and this excellent knife model.

Blade: Mora C 75mm (slightly modified) in C100 carbon steel
Handle: Spalted and stabilized birch, with a stainless steel front plate and pin
Stand: Ebony, weighted down with the base of a speaker spike

The original:
omxyiAq.png

My grandfathers after a quick clean and a new sheath:
8Wrt42A.jpg

The new one:
KIzyLTR.jpg

FIvPdP2.jpg

SRsGM8N.jpg

qMjx88d.jpg

P2TvGTP.jpg

Last edited:
Knife #17 - a sheep's foot.

Blade: 352 layers of 15n20/1095, 4mm thick, full tang of 21cm OAL (maker unknown)
Handle: Olive tree, bloodwood, vulcanized fibre and brass
Edge cover: Cow leather, waxed linen thread and a push button

DFKjzEm.jpg

oYehamX.jpg

aTtIula.jpg

Last edited:
Sledge #1 - a viking war hammer, as Great Britain soon is again up for grabs.

Head: old of unknown steel; stamped with Fagersta Stål; darkened by boiled in vinegar; engraved with Svefnthorn (puts your enemies to sleep), the Troll Cross (protects against trolls and goblins), Triceps (general protection), and the Web of Wyrd (to control ones fate); attached to the handle tomahawk style
Handle: unknown hardwood; blackened and oiled, engraved with runes reading (freely translated) ”For the weak - Mercy”

Knife #18 - a rustic hunter.

Blade: 5mm thick 15n20/1095 of an unknown maker (auction piece); edge lenght 12,5cm; OAL 22,5cm
Handle: stacked leather; unknown type of wood; brass bolster, butt and pins
Sheath: leather (six layers); waxed linnen thread; brass push button

ZQbUgAO.jpg

IETgEmD.jpg

z266Xek.jpg

d98sAfK.jpg

pQaz1az.jpg

tLJbktY.jpg

iLaFxyW.jpg

qLsjMrK.jpg

Knife #19 - a santoku, for my father on his 70th birthday. The handle design is traditional for the knife type. The stand is designed so that the blade edge never touches it, and prevents the knife to by accident escape the stand.

Blade: Santoku SS Damascus 180 - stainless 19C27 core @ HRC60, laminated with stainless damascus, 2mm thick and 45mm high, with a 180mm edge length (AOL ~300mm)
Handle: ebony and olive wood, with stainless and ebony spacers (filed down), and a stainless pin
Stand: ebony and olive wood (from the same pieces as the handle), stainless pins

I sadly wasn't able to get many or nice pictures of it before it was given away.

dY2L5IE.jpg

IgSGrhz.jpg

s9zeMAR.jpg

Knife #20 - the restoration of an old bread knife.

Blade: stamped Herder Solingen Rostfrei ...guessing it's German and stainless :); I re-shaped the tang - making it slighlty smaller and completely hidden (prev. the tang was seen at the back of the handle)
New handle: unknown type of dark wood; oak inlay/liner; stainless corby screw

6bh21sa.jpg

Before

G5sbKkz.jpg

Before - stripped and new tang shape outlined

Restored
lYbmaqv.jpg

6c6j8F5.jpg

vxjQa1u.jpg

Wow, I thoroughly enjoyed every post in this thread. Watching the progression. And comparing the differences in knives, styles, and your interpretation and combination of both fun and exquisite handles where appropriate. Keep 'em coming. I want to see more.

Kind of makes me want to order a blade blank or two and try my hand at some woodwork. I've done a little woodwork, but only very little. And not to any level that I'd be happy with the results. But threads like this inspire me. So please keep going

Thank you bflying bflying for your kind feeback ...and yes, I intend to keep going at this slow by practical pace and at least till old age prevents me from progressing (which I hope is some 20 years away). I would also enjoy to see/follow your woodworking path ;) - dive in!

Yeah, this is a great thread. I like the desk knife #16, what kind of finish did you use for making it red?

Yeah, this is a great thread. I like the desk knife #16, what kind of finish did you use for making it red?
Ty D Dr Heelhook . I made it simple - I bought a stabilized, spalted and dyed block of birch online. An alternative would hve been to go to the local paint shop for some red pigment and mix with ordinary oil, and apply to a non-treated piece of birch ...It should be birch btw for this specific type of knife, as that's what's in the original.

Last edited:
Very impressive....I had a real liking for most of them. That #11 is the only knife I've ever seen with jimping on the grip and the blade. Very imaginative thinking, designing on many of them.
I think you could easily sell here with the big boys, just as soon as you can make your own blades..
don

Very impressive....I had a real liking for most of them. That #11 is the only knife I've ever seen with jimping on the grip and the blade. Very imaginative thinking, designing on many of them.
I think you could easily sell here with the big boys, just as soon as you can make your own blades..
don

Ty Sonnydaze for your compliment! The next knife is intended to be with my own blade. At making blades however, I’m a long way behind so nothing sellable to be expected.

Knife #21 - a short chopper. This is a somewhat of a milestone for me, as this is the first knife I make using a blade I've also made myself, by metal removal using e.g. a file jig per Cough Custom's model.

Blade: 80CrV2 @ HRC 58; 4mm thick @ 600 grit, 50mm high and 245mm OAL
Handle: cocobolo; stainless steel corby screws and pin; red vulcanized fiber liners
Sheath: factory stained cow leather (brown); red tiger thread

ZZvXfaX.jpg

qoVRWNp.jpg

NW2STVd.jpg

IQpR0NC.jpg

Ay5Dh1N.jpg

Hammer #1 - a quick restoration of an old, small hammer that had a cracked and taped-up oak handle. I use it inside my home, when putting up things on the walls and alike.

Head: stamped "Tor 4 Sweden", made of TORS Hammare at an unknown date, 9cm long and at approx 250g
Handle: 28,5cm olive wood at 600 grit, treated with an oil/wax combo that has a anti-slip agent

xTiRR5i.jpg

lfXWuHB.jpg

3q0jXpX.jpg

Back