The Gambler/Vest Bowie Knife (Coffin Handles!)

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
I guess I am just going to jump off into the deep end but I will say that there was indeed some encouragement... (This isn't necessarily to detract from the other thread - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lets-talk-bowies-fighters-frame-handles-coffins.1625908/ - and John can merge if he so wishes. I simply wanted to talk about a very specific style.)

The title says it all (if only I could be so concise).

I have long been a sucker for cowboy stuff (guns, knives, hats, etc.), pretty much ever since I was a boy. The Bowie knife takes many forms and styles, in my opinion, but it is hard to not conjure up images of the Old West when you see the classic lines of a Coffin Handle paired with a wicked blade.

The Gambler or "Vest" style Bowie is generally a smaller version of the large knives that are so iconic. Not necessarily a pocket blade (as we know them today) but still small enough to slip into a vest/jacket pocket and boot or be rather unobtrusive on the belt. Historically, there were versions with and without guards, though I definitely prefer ones with a guard - from an aesthetic standpoint.

Ultimately, it comes down to this - I would love to see a Redmeadow version. I think with what I have seen and handled so far (limited as it has been), the combination of wicked good looks and functionality would serve a coffin handle "vest" Bowie quite perfectly.

Pics for inspiration and the subsequent percolation of ideas:

W.S. Butcher (Sheffield produced some of the very best Bowies)

0shHi9v.jpg

HUqsYnv.jpg

Forest "Butch" Sheely (Beaver Creek Forge)

xdAXqrq.jpg

Gustavo Vilar (Vulcano Knives)

DwHbYAb.jpg

Jason Fry Custom Knives

A6GkJY0.jpg

Not sure of maker (Antique)

h3bxMQH.jpg

Billy Bob Sowell (I have to admit, this one is pretty sexy, even without the guard)

twOXytj.jpg

I'd love to see other thoughts, ideas, pictures, etc.

Here is another example from Sheely - this one is gaurdless as well. Still not my preference but this one sure is pretty. Note the silver wrapped handle.

KxQtxJu.jpg

The BRKT Riverboat Gambler is not a bad version, although there are things I would do to give it a more traditional flair. Ditch the lanyard hole, pin the handle, shape it a bit more, etc. I like the size though.

(Not my picture)

VSrdTja.jpg

The BRKT Riverboat Gambler is not a bad version, although there are things I would do to give it a more traditional flair. Ditch the lanyard hole, pin the handle, shape it a bit more, etc. I like the size though.

(Not my picture)

VSrdTja.jpg

Yeah that's not bad...could even trim down the guard a bit too. I would definitely be in the "with guard" camp. Was actually going to post a pic of the BRKT Sandstorm as an example of a smaller guard.

Yeah that's not bad...could even trim down the guard a bit too. I would definitely be in the "with guard" camp. Was actually going to post a pic of the BRKT Sandstorm as an example of a smaller guard.

I had to look the Sandstorm up.

It is kind of surprising to me that it is somewhat difficult to find smaller Bowies with coffin handles. I have nothing against big Bowie knives, they rank amongst my favorites, but finding more modestly sized examples is proving challenging. A lot of glorious pieces of art though...

This one sure is spectacular, though certainly bigger than the purposes of this discussion. Check out that tapered tang! I could see that Bone Micarta that John is using on the Pocket fixed Blades looking pretty good on something like this.

Alan Warren out of Portland, OR (in my neck of the woods)

NiPTFIj.png

loqClBq.png

This one sure is spectacular, though certainly bigger than the purposes of this discussion. Check out that tapered tang! I could see that Bone Micarta that John is using on the Pocket fixed Blades looking pretty good on something like this.

NiPTFIj.png

loqClBq.png
Now that is exactly what I picture in a coffin bowie.

Now that is exactly what I picture in a coffin bowie.

Absolutely agree.

Here is another one - one of those works of art I mentioned earlier. I kind of like the exaggerated coffin shape on this one.

Bruce Bingenheimer (sadly no longer with us from what I understand)

G0da0Mr.png

fLHHaTH.png

Absolutely agree.

Here is another one - one of those works of art I mentioned earlier. I kind of like the exaggerated coffin shape on this one.

Bruce Bingenheimer (sadly no longer with us from what I understand)

G0da0Mr.png

fLHHaTH.png

Little too flared for my taste, but gorgeous other than that!

Last edited:
Ohhhhh I like this thread.

You guys already know this stuff but in case anyone is wondering about pin layouts and the reasons behind them, here's what I gather from a few of the examples.

This is absolutely stellar. It looks like it's a hidden tang. One solid block of wood with the tang extending almost all the way through, secured with two pins. Double rows of pins would serve no purpose because the tang runs through the middle of the block. I like the 'pillowy' look to the handle.
Gustavo Vilar (Vulcano Knives)

DwHbYAb.jpg

This looks like a pinless hidden tang. The guard slips over the tang and a solid block follows it. I don't see a pin securing the tang to the handle, possibly attached with epoxy only, or small pins that I just can't make out in the picture. I do like the blade shape of this one.

(Not my picture)

VSrdTja.jpg

'Frame' handle. A stick tang attaches to a metal frame and a set of scales is used. The double row of pins secure the scales to the frame, and the tang is internally attached to the frame. The best way to understand it would be by the second picture. What looks like a tapered tang is actually the frame (a separate piece from the blade), the actual tang that protrudes from the ricasso can't be seen because it's inside the handle. A beautiful example of one also.

NiPTFIj.png

loqClBq.png

Ohhhhh I like this thread.

You guys already know this stuff but in case anyone is wondering about pin layouts and the reasons behind them, here's what I gather from a few of the examples.

This is absolutely stellar. It looks like it's a hidden tang. One solid block of wood with the tang extending almost all the way through, secured with two pins. Double rows of pins would serve no purpose because the tang runs through the middle of the block. I like the 'pillowy' look to the handle.

This looks like a pinless hidden tang. The guard slips over the tang and a solid block follows it. I don't see a pin securing the tang to the handle, possibly attached with epoxy only, or small pins that I just can't make out in the picture. I do like the blade shape of this one.

'Frame' handle. A stick tang attaches to a metal frame and a set of scales is used. The double row of pins secure the scales to the frame, and the tang is internally attached to the frame. The best way to understand it would be by the second picture. What looks like a tapered tang is actually the frame (a separate piece from the blade), the actual tang that protrudes from the ricasso can't be seen because it's inside the handle. A beautiful example of one also.

I found that all to be very informative, thank you. I knew there was some things that I was missing and though I've heard of a "frame handle" before, I don't think I quite understood how it worked.

I found that all to be very informative, thank you. I knew there was some things that I was missing and though I've heard of a "frame handle" before, I don't think I quite understood how it worked.
It's amzing what you can learn from a Montucky Knife Mangler ain't it?

That sound good I like the 5in size with a full sized handle. You know me I’m down for one.

Back