Thinking about getting a Hudson Bay Camp knife

Have one on order again with John. I had to cancel the on I had on order last fall as I was working on starting the Good Knife Co. but now that things have settled in, time to get a classic big knife. Going with a slightly longer blade and padauk wood with copper pins for the handle. Should look pretty slick.

Now I am looking for the thinner 1/8 clip point Hudson Bay. Like I said in another post, I sense JKs in the air!!

edit: I can now be accused of resurrecting an old thread…..again,I think it’s ok as long as they still serve a purpose and are relevant to a discussion.

Have one on order again with John. I had to cancel the on I had on order last fall as I was working on starting the Good Knife Co. but now that things have settled in, time to get a classic big knife. Going with a slightly longer blade and padauk wood with copper pins for the handle. Should look pretty slick.

I know this is old, but there is another JK Hudson Bay knife for sale in the exchange for a good price, the 7 inch version, looks like a convex edge. See Padruig’s post in the exchange.

I know this is old, but there is another JK Hudson Bay knife for sale in the exchange for a good price, the 7 inch version, looks like a convex edge. See Padruig’s post in the exchange.

I'm watching it. Trying to sell a fancy folder. Also, in the process of designing and making something that size, so not sure how deep my desire is for the HB right now.

I'm watching it. Trying to sell a fancy folder. Also, in the process of designing and making something that size, so not sure how deep my desire is for the HB right now.
I know what you mean, I sold my JK HB,so it could get used, I was able to get a grail knife I have been watching. A Montana Americana large Hudson Bay, from the same guy I got one of my other HB grail knives from, a Mike Mann Idaho Knife Works HB. So being able to snag two grails and have a smaller gaucho knife made as put a hole in my pocket for now. What is funny, as soon as I got the Montana American, on that other site, another MA went up for sale too.

I know what you mean, I sold my JK HB,so it could get used, I was able to get a grail knife I have been watching. A Montana Americana large Hudson Bay, from the same guy I got one of my other HB grail knives from, a Mike Mann Idaho Knife Works HB. So being able to snag two grails and have a smaller gaucho knife made as put a hole in my pocket for now. What is funny, as soon as I got the Montana American, on that other site, another MA went up for sale too.

There's a Montana HB on sale over at BCUSA right now as well. Didn't know anything about them but looks like he did a good replication of the old style with the big brass bits all over.

There's a Montana HB on sale over at BCUSA right now as well. Didn't know anything about them but looks like he did a good replication of the old style with the big brass bits all over.

yup. I mentioned it, looks like the owner selling it made the edge a little better.

Got my Montana Americana HB back from David Mary, who did a regrind for me. His pics. Much better, still is a heavy bugger. Anyone buy that other JK HB in the exchange back in April? Edit: looks like the JK HB sold.

D088FD90-FB81-446E-9398-E9C46F3626E9.jpeg362B0191-C7CE-4199-B731-E40A15B09E3D.jpeg3EA13ADE-5795-4BBC-9A9E-F93E4AF31CA5.jpeg

Last edited:
I was amazed at how thick it was behind that huge edge bevel. Normally you want to hear something in the low thousandths of an inch, right? It's been said that .030" is about chopper thickness. And I think even that is too thick, unless you are planning to chop metal or bricks or something. This was 3/16", or .188" behind the edge.

I cleaned up the edge after taking that pic.

IMG_2256.JPG

I was amazed at how thick it was behind that huge edge bevel. Normally you want to hear something in the low thousandths of an inch, right? It's been said that .030" is about chopper thickness. And I think even that is too thick, unless you are planning to chop metal or bricks or something. This was 3/16", or .188" behind the edge.

I cleaned up the edge after taking that pic.

View attachment 2180608
it is much better now, thanks, David. I used it to cut up the box it came in to test the edge, sliced up fine. 😀

You're very welcome of course, glad to be of service.

Hope we didn’t rob this thread, just wanted to talk about HBs in general too. I received the MA HB from the same person I got my other grail knife, a Idaho Knife Works HB.D3B9A764-BD44-4BDC-8C1D-0C88AE2B4337.jpegFE59EA87-8226-463F-8CFF-C4AADDC68EC3.jpeg3FE14FC3-CB94-44B8-8117-02B867A15782.jpeg

Back