To the Makers of Things, Show us what you do!

Dopic1 Dopic1 Thanks for the kind words! We’re recently retired ranchers. Developers bought the ranch. They offered to let us stay another year or two while they got permits to bulldoze er up and build but, the stars kinda lined up that now was the time to go. part of which was historically high cattle prices. So as of Oct 31 this year we’re retired from ranching. Its weird. Horsewright is keeping us very busy though. Worked 13 hours in the shop yesterday. Batch of knives under way and working on a fully carved belt. But taking a couple of days and heading for Vegas this morning. NFR time!

Last edited:
Dopic1 Dopic1 Thanks for the kind words! We’re recently retired ranchers. Developers bought the ranch. They offered to let us stay another year or two while they got permits to bulldoze er up and build but, the stars kinda lined up that now was the time to go. part of which was historically high cattle prices. So as of Oct 31 this year we’re retired from ranching. Its weird. Horsewright is keeping us very busy though. Worked 13 hours in the shop yesterday. Batch of knives under way and working on a fully carved belt. But taking a couple of days and heading for Vegas this morning. NFR time!
That's great Dave congratulation's, I'm sure you and the Mrs earned it. I retired three years ago and struggle to find time for my hobbies. I do work part time for a contractor building cabinets and custom mill work. I guess if you sit still and don't move you would wither away. well, neither of us will ever have that problem. ;) Enjoy Vegas! 💲

Congratulations on retirement. So,do you get to stay there for awhile while things develop or do you have a place you are going to settle down and sit in a rocker and enjoy the tumbleweeds? I bet wherever you are going to live Will be just as pretty a view as the ranch had. Retirement doesn’t necessarily mean slowing down, just able to say when and where you decide to do things. :p:thumbsup:

Three done one more to go!

AxcA9kc.jpeg

Congratulations on retirement. So,do you get to stay there for awhile while things develop or do you have a place you are going to settle down and sit in a rocker and enjoy the tumbleweeds? I bet wherever you are going to live Will be just as pretty a view as the ranch had. Retirement doesn’t necessarily mean slowing down, just able to say when and where you decide to do things. :p:thumbsup:
We never actually lived on the ranch, there are no buildings, well the foundations of a couple of old stone mining shacks. Thats about it. Our house sits on 2.5 acres and is about 1.5-2 miles away from the ranch as the crow flys. Bout 10 minutes to drive over. Yeah whats a rocking chair? The house itself does have excellent views and folks always comment on it when they come over. Very similar views from the ranch, just a different angle. From the pens looking south:

Ef9RbOe.jpg

From the front porch looking south west:

2OX9Mpz.jpg

From the doors of the shop looking to the south east (which is an attached oversized 3 car garage). This is where I do most of my knife work. I have an 8 foot bench that I roll outside with grinders and an 8 foot bench with buffers that I use outside too, here pictured:

VM2VSYu.jpg

Anyhoo not short of views. So yep we can do what we want pretty much when we want. Me and the girls took a couple of days off and went to Cowboy Christmas in Vegas held in conjunction with the NFR:

wXrmtp1.jpg

We never actually lived on the ranch, there are no buildings, well the foundations of a couple of old stone mining shacks. Thats about it. Our house sits on 2.5 acres and is about 1.5-2 miles away from the ranch as the crow flys. Bout 10 minutes to drive over. Yeah whats a rocking chair? The house itself does have excellent views and folks always comment on it when they come over. Very similar views from the ranch, just a different angle. From the pens looking south:

Ef9RbOe.jpg

From the front porch looking south west:

2OX9Mpz.jpg

From the doors of the shop looking to the south east (which is an attached oversized 3 car garage). This is where I do most of my knife work. I have an 8 foot bench that I roll outside with grinders and an 8 foot bench with buffers that I use outside too, here pictured:

VM2VSYu.jpg

Anyhoo not short of views. So yep we can do what we want pretty much when we want. Me and the girls took a couple of days off and went to Cowboy Christmas in Vegas held in conjunction with the NFR:

wXrmtp1.jpg
Thanks for the pics, and the Cowboy Christmas sounds Cool.

And to you sir and all here!
Any eggnog or fruitcake in the holiday festivities? My wife side of the family had a good tale, when her grandmother was making fruitcakes for presents, she needed brandy for the recipe but didn’t want to be seen going into an ABC store to get it, so she had a relative go in to get it.

Been busy with quite a bit of gunleather:

UhcMeRR.jpg

Built this one for a neighbor. Its his kicking around the place gun. Keeps it loaded with snake shot. He's own's a large commercial electrical company but does lil stuff on the side as his boys mostly run the business. Got him lined up to redo the whole shop, next month, more POWER, I need more POWER! And Lots more light too! It'll be cool. Had him over to wire up a new grinder and VFD I got. I look at that kind of stuff and go, yeah er... no. But I can throw a hoolihan, so we all have our deals. So I says what do I owe ya and he says hows bout a holster for my kicking around gun and so trading is what we did. Cool pistola too. A Smith 63-4 , a J Frame, with a five inch bbl. I really wanted to shoot it.

dpZUwmU.jpg

3KvCkDk.jpg

This oak carved holster was for a local fireman. Its for a Smith 6 inch, N frame (629).

9tQOciu.jpg

This one is one of our water buffalo overlay holsters. This was actually for a fellow BF member and I din't even realize it. For a 4" 1911:

0KyMSHj.jpg

This one is a water buff overlay too and was for a Sig 365 XL:

sJKNoD8.jpg

More of our gunleather. These are our IWB holsters. Made from horsehide the perfect leather for this application. My wife makes these off of a design I came up with years ago.

Td1Dkii.jpg

sVGIjJo.jpg

YDDjywv.jpg

DypLBDL.jpg

4GUYETG.jpg

These we make in basically small, medium and large as well as revolver size. Unlike our Pancake style holsters they are not made to a specific handgun.

Need a Tool, Make a tool, though this was more like Want a tool, Make a Tool.

I've always wanted to try a doghead hammer but am too cheap to spend the $150+ on something I'm not sure I'll use so I turned an old ball peen into one.

I'd picked up some decent hammer handles for a $1.50 at an army surplus store years ago and found the ball peen hammer on a dirt road in the boonies.

So here's the before and after of what I came up with, looking forward to trying it out. I guess I should name her buck fitty 😁

20240130_112658-01.jpeg
20240131_215604-02.jpeg

I've since dressed the face, the edges were too sharp.

At 632 grams or 1.37 pounds it's on the light side but we'll see how she goes.

I've always wanted to try a doghead hammer but am too cheap to spend the $150+ on something I'm not sure I'll use so I turned an old ball peen into one.

I'd picked up some decent hammer handles for a $1.50 at an army surplus store years ago and found the ball peen hammer on a dirt road in the boonies.

So here's the before and after of what I came up with, looking forward to trying it out. I guess I should name her buck fitty 😁

View attachment 2478718
View attachment 2478720

Well heck ol Buck Fifty looks great. I don't forge anymore but when I did, I always wanted to try a buck fifty.

Nichole has been kicking out a lot of purses lately. They've been selling really well. We always want to have something like that in stock prior to Valentines Day.

This black water buffalo Tote with red stitching and red denim lining:

PSgiyCc.jpg

K9dBxa7.jpg

sGs4XuN.jpg

She built this one up and it lasted just an hour or two on the website. Funny thing was the guy that bought it is a friend of ours. He moved from here to TN about six years ago. The second guy to call and the first to place an order for something similar (she ended up taking three orders for a similar one) was also a friend and neighbor, who had also moved to a different part of TN, from here, about five years ago. First one headed to TN, I got to build him a tooled belt too:

TjhJ1Uk.jpg

O5foxaK.jpg

WdyeoRf.jpg

The second one headed to TN she finished last night:

4u0bETs.jpg

JTM3es2.jpg

She has never been fond of traditional lining materials feeling they were kind of flimsy for a leather purse. She found this canvas, what we call Saddle Blanket canvas and really liked this as a lining:

ojrJQKs.jpg

She liked it so much she went back and bought more, well all of it, the whole bolt. Same on this one with a Western print:

IsCXQwt.jpg

JvNURJW.jpg

IzJIdu0.jpg

Keeps her out of the bars!

View attachment 2478718
View attachment 2478720

Look great John.
Did you use a coal forge or was that in your gasser?

Back