Urban water procurement & storage.

You need a layered approach, ideally...

A rain barrel or cistern is a great way to capture rain water that otherwise gets dumped on the ground - you will still need to treat this water. Dust, dirt, or debris will certainly wash into your container (from your roof and gutters) and into the container, and you may get algae growth inside the container as well.

Large water filter systems like the Berkey or a gravity-fed system can work very well, but they're not too portable. Some use reverse osmosis systems and things like that, but usually rely on power and or water pressure.

If you need to be mobile, you'll likely want some portable way to treat water - pump-type backpacking filters work OK, as does the steri-pen. Both are imperfect, though - pump actions can break, get gummed up, or filters clogged, and the steri pen requires batteries - neither do well with turbid water, either.

Then there is chemical treatment - bleach, aquamira, iodine tablets, etc. all require precise measurement and proper dwell time, but they can be a great backup to another method you use.

In Japan, they may be able to use the SODIS (solar distillation) providing they can filter out particulate contaminants - the larger problem they will have is dealing with the many diseases and molds that may be spread through/from the water like post-katrina NOLA.
SODIS works well, but I would not trust it if the water is teeming with pathogens or chemicals from other toxic sources... but what kills you faster? Some of the sickness you may contract could be treated after a while, where you will surely die if you don't drink anything for a few days.

Then there is boiling.

Bottom line, make sure you have a few different tricks up your sleeve, and you know how to use the tools you have.

Oxygen in the water is your enemy, because it will let stuff grow in your stored water. You can find some heavy duty blue plastic food grade air tight 5 gal containers for about $20 each. You can then treat with aerobic oxygen type product to a tested 5 year storage on your containers or maybe bleach. Also I've seen a kit with mylar bags in cardboard boxes that is really cheap but looks effective.

I have two 25 litre water storage containers with taps, plus five, one litre Nalgene water bottles which are kept full and rotated.

Additionally, I've two MSR Dromedary 6 litre, and one 4 litre water bags, a Katadyn Pocket Water Filter (plus spare cartridge), 2 Katadyn Mini Filters (plus 3 spare cartridges), a Platypus Cleanstream Gravity Water Filter, an Aqua Pure Traveler filtered water bottle and 6 Pre-Mac Travel Well Pocket Water Purifiers.

For salt water, I have a Katadyn 06-LL Military Desalinator.

Water boiling without recourse to mains electricity, domestic gas supply, cylinder gas, esbit, or white gas/liquid fuel is taken care of with an Eydon Storm Kettle, a Ghillie Maverick, a Backcountry Boiler and an mKettle (all of which can also store water).

My location is very well served by nearby reservoirs, rivers and canals, as such, access to (untreated) water is plentiful and I have folding trolleys for the two 25 litre containers.

Oxygen in the water is your enemy, because it will let stuff grow in your stored water. You can find some heavy duty blue plastic food grade air tight 5 gal containers for about $20 each. You can then treat with aerobic oxygen type product to a tested 5 year storage on your containers or maybe bleach. Also I've seen a kit with mylar bags in cardboard boxes that is really cheap but looks effective.

New Zealand Government website suggests this for water storage:

Wash bottles thoroughly in hot water.
Fill each bottle with tap water until it overflows.
Add five drops of household bleach per litre of water (or half a teaspoon for 10 litres) and put in storage. Do not drink for at least 30 minutes after disinfecting.
Label each bottle with dates showing when the bottles were filled and when they need to be refilled.
Check the bottles every 12 months. If the water is not clear, throw it out and refill clean bottles with clean water and bleach.
Store bottles away from direct sunlight in a cool dark place. Keep them in two separate places and where there is not likely to be flooding.

Back