Very Cool Indeed

I have a question concerning the Original Hawks. Is there any way to distinguish an Original Vietnam Era Hawk 1st or 2nd model From Post Vietnam models by Cold Steel/Cutlery Shop? Also will the new model be distinguishable from the old other than the stamp on the handle?
Thank You
Ken

Andy Hats Off to You.
Mr LaGana, It is an Awesome Piece of Weaponry

My apologies for not answering this question sooner...been on the phone, e-mail, etc...all good stuff
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks for your words of encouragement Ken!!!

Yes, there are a few ways to distinguish an original from the reproductions.

First, the originals sported a surface grind on the primary flats of the blade to thin the cutting geometry. They were crude, but definitely there. I have not seen one reproduction which sported the thinning surface grind.

Second, the grinding on the spike of the originals was also much thinner in most cases than any reproduction...in fact, one one occasion when Mr. LaGana was visiting the Pentagon, a General cut his palm when examining the Hawk's spike on the underside...he wanted to see if it was sharp...he found out the hard way.
smile.gif

Third, the handle eye on the originals was hourglass in shape.....most repros were oblong and not sensitive to how Mr. LaGana fashioned the hole to prevent loosening and breakage.

As for the new LaGana Nam Hawks which will be coming soon from us, the finish quality is superior to the original, as well as the repros....smooth grinds, with much better edge geometry, steel, and execution.

Hope this helped....

------------------
Andy Prisco,
Co-Founder, Manager
American Tomahawk Company
877-557-5200
http://www.americantomahawk.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Andy Prisco (edited 01-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Andy Prisco (edited 01-30-2001).]

Back