Recommendation? Water Jet Service?

Are there any reputable water jet services that could cut a knife profile from a piece of M4 that I already have - that I could send the material to, have it cut, and then sent back?

I have a piece of M4 that is .206"x2"x12.375" - I was going to cut the profile the old fashioned way and then I spoke to a person that does water jet, sent him my CAD drawing and material details, got what I thought was a great quote ($40), and then he disappeared. That happens hideously too often these days...

I am near Austin, TX and this is an image of my CAD drawing:

RECON-TANTO-WATER-JET.jpg

Thank you in advance,

Thank you.

Sure, there is some setup, but there is not much "programing" to do when you already have a good CAD file.

Anyway, I thought I would ask and see.

One of the members here is H2Oknife - Leading Edge Fabrication.

They have a hosted forum here where you could contact him and ask:

Are there any reputable water jet services that could cut a knife profile from a piece of M4 that I already have - that I could send the material to, have it cut, and then sent back?

I have a piece of M4 that is .206"x2"x12.375" - I was going to cut the profile the old fashioned way and then I spoke to a person that does water jet, sent him my CAD drawing and material details, got what I thought was a great quote ($40), and then he disappeared. That happens hideously too often these days...

I am near Austin, TX and this is an image of my CAD drawing:

RECON-TANTO-WATER-JET.jpg

Thank you in advance,
i have worked hard M2 forever ..id just scribe and grind to shape... if you send it out ,there is the price/shipping(back and forth) and the wait/down time
hell id have the knife finished with handles and sheath before it was delivered...
use the Norton Blaze belts ..... yea you need carbide to drill the holes but there are only 5 of them.....

i have worked hard M2 forever ..id just scribe and grind to shape... if you send it out ,there is the price/shipping(back and forth) and the wait/down time
hell id have the knife finished with handles and sheath before it was delivered...
use the Norton Blaze belts ..... yea you need carbide to drill the holes but there are only 5 of them.....
The quote from the guy in Texas (that vanished), got my hopes up. Leading Edge no longer does water jet for knife blades - only laser - and not feasible for one-off.

I will do it the old fashioned way.

I don't think the OP's steel is Hard yet.... Is it?

Seems like a waste sending out one blank to be waterjet, Way not worth it!

Cut and grind it out, if it's soft Its an easy 10 min job. 15 with drilling the holes.

This is my Favorite part of knife making. Easiest too.

(lose the choil and it looks like and Super Awesome knife!!!) Not that you are asking...... just a great looking knife, I hope you make it

I don't think the OP's steel is Hard yet.... Is it?

Seems like a waste sending out one blank to be waterjet, Way not worth it!

Cut and grind it out, if it's soft Its an easy 10 min job. 15 with drilling the holes.

This is my Favorite part of knife making. Easiest too.

(lose the choil and it looks like and Super Awesome knife!!!) Not that you are asking...... just a great looking knife, I hope you make it
Not hard.

Interesting thought about that choil, I will think about it.

Thanks everyone - especially Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer !
I tend to butt in where I don't' belong..... haha. Sorry.

* I do like the idea of the finger guard, and you still can have the bolster merged with it...... (but Me Personally, i don't like finger, or sharpening choils) i know that is not a popular opinion. I just don't like them. I think they are unnecessary 99% of the time.
-and if it's Hard 4V.... You are NEVER going to wear down that blade sharpening it.... Might take over a Dozen lifetimes to do that. :D

EDIT if you got rid of the guard completely, I'd maybe want a little top/bottom palm swell to register into my hand?

Another edit.... For the record, I thick Either will look really good

Last edited:
Back