We were all new here once

Check the post of mine right above your previous one (a few posts above, #2016). I linked a tutorial I made (with pictures) for using Imgur, I revised it recently due to changes Imgur made in their process for uploading pics. That tutorial described exactly how I use Imgur to post pics.

Thanks I was just looking at your tutorial and I should be able to go from there.
I could have sworn there was a post/test forum here on BF somewhere but can't find it. I don't want to keep stuffing up this newcomer forum with my image test posting issues.

Thanks I was just looking at your tutorial and I should be able to go from there.
I could have sworn there was a post/test forum here on BF somewhere but can't find it. I don't want to keep stuffing up this newcomer forum with my image test posting issues.
Try this thread to practice posting photos.

Here's the tech support forum, you can usually find your answers here or start a new thread asking for help.

Try this thread to practice posting photos.

Here's the tech support forum, you can usually find your answers here or start a new thread asking for help.

Thanks for that.

I have been here since 2003 but not much for a while. I recently retired my last shop of 40 years. It seems I see only new folks here now but that is fine.

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes new members don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach new members a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

UPDATE: It's been over 8 years since I started this thread, and I thought it was time for an update.

When I started this thread back in 2012, new members were sometimes treated a bit rough. But things have changed since then. These days most active members are eager to help new members. So I don't want you to get the impression that you're entering a lions den where the members are just waiting to bite your head off. I think you'll find the vast majority of members to be friendly and helpful. So welcome, and enjoy :). Knife makers like myself have enjoyed the greatest brotherhood in the world.
Someone asking advice was always welcomed. Reason being, we all had a starting point and advice helped the knife business because we always desired the best knives out there.

I have made lifetime pals here and we shared a lot, including knife making materials. We even made some really great colab knives.

One thing I could not quite understand was when the economy was weak, it didn't affect our knife business.

Hi J John Andrews ! What kind of shop?
Knife making, mostly stock removal fixed blade hunters. I made one lock-blade and realized none of those again. I also refused to build some that were absolutely clown designs of some customers. I would not build nor put my mark on a silly knife. I still have my grandad's old forge we used a lot back in the day.

Ah knife shop. Got it. Congratulations on your retirement.

I would not build nor put my mark on a silly knife.

Agreed. Although, that definition is subjective and I am sure that some of my designs have seemed silly to others at times.

Agreed. Although, that definition is subjective and I am sure that some of my designs have seemed silly to others at times.
😄 You can't please everyone but we always try.

For thirty years I was on patrol protecting and serving the public, working a lot in the shop, and doing a lot of licensed private investigation. I finally narrowed it down to the shop and my job.

Hey y’all, cryogenically-dormant account, still a blade enthusiast, but I guess that’s kinda a given…
Trying to reinvent myself for a 2nd career after a lifetime in the kitchen, and I’m developing an interest as a blundering blacksmith.
Looking learn, to pass on what I have learned, and for a like-minded group of edge-heads and fire-burners.

Favorite EDC: Benchmade Barrage
Favorite kitchen: Yoshihiro kiritsuke
Kitchen workhorses: said Yoshihiro, Mercer Renaissance 10” chef, Mercer Genesis 7” granton santoku
Cool personal fact: I have my own competition BBQ team
Weird personal fact: I’m a diehard Ford guy, but I won’t dispute criticisms from those stupid bowtie-boys

There’s an issue posting images directly across all members at the moment, so I think everybody is resorting to image hosting sites. A lot of folks are using imgur.com, it I find it kinda klugy. I use postimage.org. It’s free and pretty easy to use. Whatever site you use, most of them have a way to copy a direct link to your image. Just paste that link in between img tags in your post, and you’re good to go
There’s an issue posting images directly across all members at the moment, so I think everybody is resorting to image hosting sites. A lot of folks are using imgur.com, it I find it kinda klugy. I use postimage.org. It’s free and pretty easy to use. Whatever site you use, most of them have a way to copy a direct link to your image. Just paste that link in between img tags in your post, and you’re good to go.
Ok so I’m sure this is probably easy info to find, but zenforo is the BF platform? I don’t see it listed with postimage, but I’m a stubborn idiot and I really don’t want to admit defeat and ask my wife for help…

No-one is perfect here. I am new here and want to learn the fact behind knives. Thank you for sharing this information. I'll be in touch for knowing more interesting facts.

Back