What kind of folder do you carry?

Most of the time I carry either a Southard Avo or the larger Southard Tolk. The blade shapes and light weights are just right for me. When in a marine environment I carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt SE. If I know I'm going to abuse a knife a little I take a Spyderco Southard.

I agree that I probably would not carry regularly a knife that cost over $500.

Sorry, but I am web picture challenged. Think nice curves with a good point.

Last edited:
besides Nathan, Bruce Bingenheimer is the other guy I work with on a regular basis. It's great to have the opportunity to test my designs to find out how they can be improved upon, and Bing always brings the bling!

from the top; Icarus, Bingalor, Roundhouse

Lorien, here is another from Bing with the bling. Having it is what caused me to get the Koa Bingalor. This one's a walrus Chiron, but admittedly this one is not carried, but rather admired for both it's natural and forged beauty:

large.jpg

Last edited:
Some great pics of Bing's knives. I really need to get one from him. Thanks for sharing guys.
Cheers

Some great pics of Bing's knives. I really need to get one from him. Thanks for sharing guys.
Cheers

we have a new one in the works which is pretty kewl. The Roundhouse is the most recent co-lab and it might be one day that you'll see it around a little more. The one I have is a cute mini version, so imagine it with 3.5" or so of blade

I was able to score a Diskin flipper very recently, and it's amazing. It's no edc, unless carrying a weapon is your thing, but the action and overall quality is super impressive

Lorien, here is another from Bing with the bling. Having it is what caused me to get the Koa Bingalor. This one's a walrus Chiron, but admittedly this one is not carried, but rather admired for both it's natural and forged beauty:

large.jpg

Very cool knife. :thumbup:

we have a new one in the works which is pretty kewl. The Roundhouse is the most recent co-lab and it might be one day that you'll see it around a little more. The one I have is a cute mini version, so imagine it with 3.5" or so of blade

I was able to score a Diskin flipper very recently, and it's amazing. It's no edc, unless carrying a weapon is your thing, but the action and overall quality is super impressive

Keep meaning to get out and see Bing. I might have to go out and bug him about the new model. I have been eyeing the Diskin for a while but still have yet to get one. Bruce said the same thing about Matt's knives.
I dont mind carrying a big knife. Usually carry a small folder for general tasks and a bigger folder because I like to.
Cheers

Emerson Sheepdog , love this knife everyday carry , easy to sharpen just hone and then leather strop . Knife is reasonably priced where you actually use it , not just man jewelry !! After owning several emersons and a couple cold steel ak47 all with "wave " feature , if a blade does it have a pocket catch to open it quickly it's hard for me to be interested in it .
phECmyF.jpg

dT5bnGn.jpg

Last edited:

I have several of Matt's knives. Super smooth action and laser sharp.

from left to right; Diskin Fire, Diskin Wheel & Diskin Flipper (sorry.....quick cellphone pic)
D9955663-E29B-48DC-A8FB-966DBC9E19BF_zpscoygdx3f.jpg

the wheel is a super cool knife. I got a fire as well, and it is just about the best all around folding knife I've ever used

the wheel is a super cool knife. I got a fire as well, and it is just about the best all around folding knife I've ever used

Matt has much tougher thumb callases than I do. When he was showing me how to fire with the wheel, he almost fell over laughing at my shock when the blade released.

Lots of folders but easily the most carried and used for me are the spyderco Military and PM2. I love that blade profile, they cut great, carry easy, great steels (favorites are the Cruwear and M4, but I still like S90V a lot). Thumb hole opener is my preferred mechanism by far, not a fan of flippers. I need to be able to open with heavy gloves or mittens. I am also really enjoying the CS Demko 4max. It is chunky but carries ok in carhart pockets and the blade is so wide it is not hard to open even with heavy mittens (two hand open and close in this case).
Lots of good choices these days!

I have several of Matt's knives. Super smooth action and laser sharp.

from left to right; Diskin Fire, Diskin Wheel & Diskin Flipper (sorry.....quick cellphone pic)
D9955663-E29B-48DC-A8FB-966DBC9E19BF_zpscoygdx3f.jpg

I was able to snag a Diskin flipper recently for a couple hundred bucks below the going rate, here in the classifieds. It's very unlike the Fire, in that it obviously was designed primarily as a weapon. The action is very loud, compared with my Bing knives, which open quick and with a soft click. I'm thinking that the CPK folder should be designed to have a quieter action. I'm finding it increasingly important to experience different knives as I go deeper down the rabbit hole with my design work

I was able to snag a Diskin flipper recently for a couple hundred bucks below the going rate, here in the classifieds. It's very unlike the Fire, in that it obviously was designed primarily as a weapon. The action is very loud, compared with my Bing knives, which open quick and with a soft click. I'm thinking that the CPK folder should be designed to have a quieter action. I'm finding it increasingly important to experience different knives as I go deeper down the rabbit hole with my design work

I think you should get a CD Shirogorov before too much longer.

I blew all my cash, no new knives for me until another CPK run :)

I just picked up this ZT 0566 (poor man's Hinderer) and so far really like it. I could do without the assisted opening, but it doesn't bother me either. This Elmax steel takes a realy slick edge. It has a comparable edge and blade profile to the EDC, so I'm all in favor of the folder version of the EDC!! I also like the machined components of the frame lock. It just appeals to me as an engineer/mechanical geek.

ZyEV48bm.jpg
r0VQeTHm.jpg
KiVfqyTm.jpg

Back