What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

I will repeat the usuals - boar spear and OSS lapel knife, but I would also like to see a puukko, but not full tang.

Instead I would like to see a 3.5-4 inch blade with a heavy duty stick tang with radiused curves where tang meets blade, no ricasso, and a wood handle that totally surrounds the heavy stick tang - the ultimate cold weather Carothers. Handles would be one piece (except birch bark) secured in a very strong manner so that the pommel could be used for pounding stuff. Handles would be customers choice and offered in birch bark, Osage, ironwood, gaboon ebony and cocobolo. Ideally the grind would be zero degree scandi and D3V and AEBL would be the steels offered. Make it a pre-order.

I'd buy a long sharp finger with a belly recurve from you. 5" to 6" blade. Nice steel thats highly resistant to rust and holds an edge for a long time.
Actually, I'd be interested in this being a custom piece.

I will repeat the usuals - boar spear and OSS lapel knife, but I would also like to see a puukko, but not full tang.

Instead I would like to see a 3.5-4 inch blade with a heavy duty stick tang with radiused curves where tang meets blade, no ricasso, and a wood handle that totally surrounds the heavy stick tang - the ultimate cold weather Carothers. Handles would be one piece (except birch bark) secured in a very strong manner so that the pommel could be used for pounding stuff. Handles would be customers choice and offered in birch bark, Osage, ironwood, gaboon ebony and cocobolo. Ideally the grind would be zero degree scandi and D3V and AEBL would be the steels offered. Make it a pre-order.
I am not sure if that could be doable in production scale. That kind of design is well into handmade/custom territory as much time is needed for each knife.

I am not sure if that could be doable in production scale. That kind of design is well into handmade/custom territory as much time is needed for each knife.

My idea is that the handles would be one piece and uniform so they slip on the stick tang and that is then secured by a fastener like a nut (and press fit hydraulically with epoxy or screwed on with maybe a spot weld or epoxy). I don’t see why they could not be made on production scale, but I have no reason other than desire to say that. Maybe the birch bark handle would not work but micarta, G10, and wood could all be done.

I am just the great idea guy, so I cannot be expected to know how to actually do anything or if it is feasible or practical.

My idea is that the handles would be one piece and uniform so they slip on the stick tang and that is then secured by a fastener like a nut (and press fit hydraulically with epoxy or screwed on with maybe a spot weld or epoxy). I don’t see why they could not be made on production scale, but I have no reason other than desire to say that. Maybe the birch bark handle would not work but micarta, G10, and wood could all be done.

I am just the great idea guy, so I cannot be expected to know how to actually do anything or if it is feasible or practical.
Ok I imagined it to be done with multiple handle pieces rather than a solid single piece. Yes that would reduce the production time significantly. But the required fit and finish is still relatively tricky at the ricasso and tang/pommel connection. The tang could be welded to the pommel and the handle could be two pieces with tang shape engraved into it. After welding the tang to the pommel two separate handle piece could be glued/fixed together. Still a lot more process is involved than a full tang knife but all that simplifications could just made it possible.

Ok I imagined it to be done with multiple handle pieces rather than a solid single piece. Yes that would reduce the production time significantly. But the required fit and finish is still relatively tricky at the ricasso and tang/pommel connection. The tang could be welded to the pommel and the handle could be two pieces with tang shape engraved into it. After welding the tang to the pommel two separate handle piece could be glued/fixed together. Still a lot more process is involved than a full tang knife but all that simplifications could just made it possible.

Dudes, let me finish my coffee before I read such technical looking posts with hardly any paragraphs. These old eyes need time to adjust on Sunday mornings.

I bet you have some good ideas, just let the coffee kick in first ☕👍😁

Back