Which model of SAK for the outdoors?

I've been carrying a Swiss Champ (formerly Champion) for the last 48 years and love it.

I also have a Huntsman with the grippy dull red scales in my cook kit.

When I first looked at all the different models and what tools each one had I figured that at some point I would need everything, so I bought the one that carried the most tools.

Its been the best decision I ever made about gear and its my all time favorite piece of equipment.
I have two nieces. We got the oldest on a super tinker based on the tools she wanted. When it was the younger's turn, she asked for a Swisschamp. I was a little doubtful that she would use it very much due to the bulk. The jury is still out on that, but maybe there's a chance.

Huntsman
Ranger
Pioneer
Pioneer X
Farmer
Farmer X

Forester
Ranger Grip 55
Trekker

Which one though?
Haha, I know the answer is, all.

CORRECT!

If I had to pick one (and you'd have to have me chained to a sawmill log moving toward the buzzsaw AND have big enough gun pointed at my head to make me choose just one . . I'd go with the RangerGrip 55. Longer blade and longer saw put it over the others if there can be only one.

I also chose the non-one hand knives for a reason: when you're using a tool other than the knife, the hump on the one-hand version gets in the way. My one-handed Trekker sits in the drawer, but my Forester is in my pocket right now and my RangerGrip 55 is in my kit in the car.

For simple hikes and if I am only carrying one knife and has to be a SAK, then I want it BIG, locking blade and with a saw. One hand opening is a nice addition. So I like the Soldier a lot. I carry decent tweezers in the first aid kit, otherwise the One Hand Trekker is basically the same knife but with a less grippy handles and tweezers + toothpick.

I also have a Wenger Range (nail nick, no one hand opening) that I bought in Zermat during a climbing trip to the Alps. However I don't carry or use it much. The blade is longer, but it is not sharpened all the way back (which I will eventually fix) and feels much bulkier and heavier than the equivalent Victorinox.

If I carry anything mechanical (skimo skis, multifuel stove, etc.) I choose a plier based multitool. Either mimimalistic (Leatherman PS4) for the ultralight days or a heavier full size version (Leatherman Charge TTI).

It is good to have choices and dedicated knives!

Last edited:
The "outdoors" varies obviously, so the following is a very specific outdoors. 7 days last week on the San Juan river, group of 12, 5 rafts and my paddle board for the first two and a half days, we were self supported. I have several SAK to choose from and almost took the camper but thought I might want a magnifying glass because I dont see well close up any more and readers can be a pain in the outdoors. So I took an explorer with plus scales in case I had to fill out random forms for the car shuttle and river permit. No saw, I did not think there was enough wood in the area but a small saw would have been handy as we had a campfire of driftwood every night.

Tools used in order of most important

Tweezers, every camp site in southern Utah comes complete with a million goatheads.

Knife, the cords in my tent poles lots their elasticity and had to cut them all out. Opening packages of food. Food prep.

Can opener: food prep, the young couple who brought cans of tomatoes for their turn to cook the community meal and no can opener got a slightly used explorer from me when we got back.

Scissors, trimming frayed clothing mostly, also used for shock cord cutting.

Pen, the pen everyone was using for the shuttle paperwork ran out.

Awl, but I cant remember exactly what we used it for other than it is my favorite fingernail cleaner.

Did not use:

Magnifying glass, I had enough 30-40 year olds around to help and kept readers in my daypack so I could read the map.

bottle opener, no glass on the river.

hook, corkscrew, phillips.

result; I could have taken a 3 layer camper (plus scales) and been just as happy. In addition to the SAK I brought a Spyerco salt, dragonfly.

Cheers,

The "outdoors" varies obviously, so the following is a very specific outdoors. 7 days last week on the San Juan river, group of 12, 5 rafts and my paddle board for the first two and a half days, we were self supported. I have several SAK to choose from and almost took the camper but thought I might want a magnifying glass because I dont see well close up any more and readers can be a pain in the outdoors. So I took an explorer with plus scales in case I had to fill out random forms for the car shuttle and river permit. No saw, I did not think there was enough wood in the area but a small saw would have been handy as we had a campfire of driftwood every night.

Tools used in order of most important

Tweezers, every camp site in southern Utah comes complete with a million goatheads.

Knife, the cords in my tent poles lots their elasticity and had to cut them all out. Opening packages of food. Food prep.

Can opener: food prep, the young couple who brought cans of tomatoes for their turn to cook the community meal and no can opener got a slightly used explorer from me when we got back.

Scissors, trimming frayed clothing mostly, also used for shock cord cutting.

Pen, the pen everyone was using for the shuttle paperwork ran out.

Awl, but I cant remember exactly what we used it for other than it is my favorite fingernail cleaner.

Did not use:

Magnifying glass, I had enough 30-40 year olds around to help and kept readers in my daypack so I could read the map.

bottle opener, no glass on the river.

hook, corkscrew, phillips.

result; I could have taken a 3 layer camper (plus scales) and been just as happy. In addition to the SAK I brought a Spyerco salt, dragonfly.

Cheers,
Since I started this thread, I have acquired a Camper, and I agree with your assessment!
IMG_2023-04-06-12-28-22-735_2.jpg

If the riskiest part of a camping trip is the drive to the trailhead or campsite, then one could argue that the best tool to carry is the victorinox rescue tool, complete with seatbelt cutter (which cuts through rope like butter), window breaker, glass saw (I don’t think it works on wood but I carry a separate Silky root saw when camping), plus a few standard tools like the locking wavy edge blade (which comes very sharp), locking screwdriver etc. When driving, this is the tool I want on my belt. I can’t quite open the main blade one handed using the thumb hole, but that’s probably just me.

Last edited:
For me basically everything that has a saw, so boiled down their 3 layer saw models.
Doesnt matter if 91mm 93mm, 111mm or 130mm.
Just my mood and how light I want to go defines the choice.
Personally I dont need scissors that often so I could scip them for better ergonomics.

Mine has gravitated to the Rangergrip 78, primarily due to the length if the saw.

Ive gone from smaller traditional models to a Rucksack, then an OHT and now the Rangergrip. As you can see longer and longer…

Back