Who else uses a scythe?

I very much want a reason to own and use a scythe.
They are 2x faster than a weed whacker. They are as fast as a push mower, even faster if the grass is tall. They function best when the grass is wet - what would usually clog up a lawn mower and prevent cutting the grass for days until things dried up.

They are cheaper than a weed whacker once you add up the cost of gas, oil, small parts that you have to constantly supply. They are cheaper than a lawn mower for the same reason. They are lighter and more nimble than a weed whacker. Using one is very meditative once you get into the swing of things.

They are exceptionally quiet, allowing you to keep your yard tended without worrying what the neighbors/wife/whoever might think about it.

Being able to operate a scythe with a modicum of skill makes people automatically respect you 2x more than they used to.

Rob's videos are a great demonstration not only of the many different types of scythe out there, but how fast they can get the job done.

You can shop for a brand new scythe at places like Scythe Supply dot com. I would trust their input before I would some place like Lee Valley or the local flea market.

Maybe they are a bit pricey, but you'll never have to put a drop of gasoline in the things.

You can shop for a brand new scythe at places like Scythe Supply dot com. I would trust their input before I would some place like Lee Valley or the local flea market.

Maybe they are a bit pricey, but you'll never have to put a drop of gasoline in the things.
I'd like to point out that while Scythe Supply is one of the small handful of specialty scythe retailers in the USA, they're not the first I'd point to for asking advice. For the European style I'd suggest One Scythe Revolution or Scythe Works, and for the American type they'd just refer you to me. I get calls all summer long from folks sent my way by Scythe Supply.

I have two old Derby and Ball scythe's. I bent the tang on the one here at home to match my height and although I don't use it much, when I do it's a hoot. The other one is at our cottage. Dog

Did anyone catch the cartoon "Rubes" by Leigh Rubin. In it the Grim Ripper is standing in front of his fireplace talking to his young son. Over the fireplace is hung a scythe. The Grim Reaper says "You see son, the beauty is in the simplicity of its design.....One scythe fits all". Beyond my ability to post it, but if someone wants it, email me at : johnalarsen@aol.com, and I can email the cartoon to you. John

Did anyone catch the cartoon "Rubes" by Leigh Rubin. In it the Grim Ripper is standing in front of his fireplace talking to his young son. Over the fireplace is hung a scythe. The Grim Reaper says "You see son, the beauty is in the simplicity of its design.....One scythe fits all". Beyond my ability to post it, but if someone wants it, email me at : johnalarsen@aol.com, and I can email the cartoon to you. John
09_19_22_5397ba4b6885971d8a743cfb43c1ece7.jpg

I have my Grandad Ol Scythe from the early 1900s he was a master with one.
He was in WW 1 and had the scythe before doing the Army thing.
I have two Brush blades and several fine-made Grass blades.
Back in 1960, I got the scythe out and he tried to show me the sharpening method.
He was very good at it oh no. So it hangs in my Shop. RIP L.C. PARSONS.

Derby & Ball No. 30 "Ironclad" snaths for the bottom two with the swing socket heel plates. The top one has the look of a Derby & Ball in most respects but may be a Brinser (predecessor to the later Eastern Handle Co.) or even an older Seymour. Definitely not a Sta-Tite.

So after procuring a scythe from from the ding weeds of a clients place this past winter (with her permission of course) I went on the hunt for some new blades. My brother remembered that he found a couple in the basement of the house he used to rent.

Just finished cleaning them up with a wire wheel, and the tang stamps on both read D. Wadsworth and son Auburn NY.

They both appear to be unused, gonna have to dig around and see if there's anything to find about the company.

IMG_20230511_112247940.jpgIMG_20230511_112255865.jpgIMG_20230511_112300873.jpg

Gotta adjust the lay on the (I assume) grass blade, get them sharpened and put them to work. The blade that was already mounted to the snath has a bit of a bend in the middle, but it's been fun working with.

So after procuring a scythe from from the ding weeds of a clients place this past winter (with her permission of course) I went on the hunt for some new blades. My brother remembered that he found a couple in the basement of the house he used to rent.

Just finished cleaning them up with a wire wheel, and the tang stamps on both read D. Wadsworth and son Auburn NY.

They both appear to be unused, gonna have to dig around and see if there's anything to find about the company.

View attachment 2182060View attachment 2182061View attachment 2182063

Gotta adjust the lay on the (I assume) grass blade, get them sharpened and put them to work. The blade that was already mounted to the snath has a bit of a bend in the middle, but it's been fun working with.
https://archive.org/details/david-wadsworth-and-son-1910/mode/2up?view=theater

https://www.google.com/books/editio...d+son+Auburn+NY.&pg=PA274&printsec=frontcover

BookReaderImages.php

I'm 67 percent certain we need to replace the Murphy switch in the chipper, so here's a couple of pictures of the snath attachment point.

IMG_20230511_121614260.jpgIMG_20230511_121623377.jpg

David Wadsworth & Son made some of my very favorite blades, the quality of the forging, proportions and curvature, heat treatment, and overall weight vs. rigidity being some of the best on average that you're likely to come across. That is to say, I often come across blades that are as good as David Wadsworth & Son blades are, but less consistently from any given make/model of blade from any other maker. Wadsworth blades hit top marks with the overall highest consistency.

Your snath is a Seymour No.125 Ironclad bush snath.

Back