Who has the Manual Six ways in, 12 ways out

What all does it cover and how good is it? I want to get one from US R&SOG

RickJ

Last edited:
I just recently got it and it's the best SERE book I've seen. It has good general survival info, but it's designed as a SERE manual and that's exactly what it is.

I think it's definitely worth getting, but I it's not better than say The SAS Survival Guide. It's a different take on survival with some unique information.

My biggest complaint is the way it's bound, so it's difficult to open. I think I'm going to try to get mine spiral bound.

USRSOG doesn't seem to be good at communication (they didn't answer my emails), but they got me the book quickly.

Thanks, I will send in my $15.00 Bucks and check it out, I like their website, I am in the Army and would love to get some trainingby this group.

RickJ

I spent a long time in the Army and some time at SERE. This book is much better than the FM I got before going to SERE.

Check out FM 21-76-1 too. I think you can find it online for free if you can't get it through your COC. Are you going through SERE at Bragg?

Yea I have the Army Survival Manual, as far as SERE, nope I am at Fort Bliss, Texas. I would like to go someday if I get the chance. The only official training I have is the Fort Drum Cold Weather Survival School. The rest I try to learn on my own the best I can.

RickJ

Anyone know if they'll ship it to Canada? I sent em a message, but thought I'd ask anyways, I'd like to get my hands on this book.

I have it, Bryan Breeden or Sicily02 here on the forum, had a thread a long time ago and had a pic of it, he said it was a great book, and it is, it tells you to keep the zip lock bag that it come in, cause you might need it one day.......I'd advise you to get it.........

I've done some SERE prep when I was at Bragg, but never could coordinate a slot to attend. This book by USRSOG is really a great manual and well laid out; highly recommended and worth the $15.00

ROCK6

Never heard of it. I was a Navy brat and dad threatened me to never join the military (weird since he was in almost 30 years). I'm off to google it now, thanks for the tip!!

Hi all,

GET THE BOOK lol It is a great one for your survival and bushcraft library.

I love mine and read and practice what the contents teach.

Just a couple of days back I posted a couple of dead fall traps over at
the Hoodlums forum. Then was contacted Via a PM from a fellow wanting more info on the traps I made up. In this pic this is what I sent back to him with some comentary about what I do.

IMG_0792.jpg

Here in this pic is my Chair that I made with the 2 items that the US RSOG personal recomend that you carry. A large knife and then a multi tool like.
For my Large knife I carry the Mega One Zero and then for my multi tool a leather man wave.

IMG_0136.jpg

Here I am working on a Fish Trap that was decribed in the book.

IMG_0056.jpg

Here I am working on my fish trap.

IMG_0066.jpg

Here is one of the dead fall traps I made.

101_1899.jpg

Here is a Thorn tipped spear that I made from a pic I seen in my 6 ways in
and 12 ways out book.

101_1896.jpg

But for me one of the greatest things about this book is what happened when I read on 121 about the First Line/Final Option Kit.
George Jasper the author of the 6 ways in and 12 ways out decribes a little survival kit that he carries. Well I like that idea and so I made up one too for me too.

But I wanted to change one item in perticular the cutting tool that George carried is not what I thought of as a great cutting tool.
Well in keeping with the idea that this little kit might be the only kit you have at the time of a emergency you want the best tools you can have.

The cutting tool that George was :D carring in his First Line/ Final Option kit was a razor blade. Well, like I said I wanted to change that cutting tool to a what I thought would be a better cutting too. A small thin knife.

Well I went to the shop and made up a small think knife with no handles on it. I then gathered all the materials for my First Line/ Final Option kit and put them on a paper. In this pic I have what the list mentions in the book for the little kit. On the left side I have the kit that is mentioned in the book and then on the right side I have the knife I made up and then the list of items that I wanted for my kit.

101_1492.jpg

here in this pic I have my items shown just before I taped it up like it says to do.

101_1495.jpg

And then my kit all taped up and ready to put in my wallet.

101_1496.jpg

After I got my kit made up I contacted the US RSOG. I was able to chat with George about what I did with my kit and the knife I made up and wanted to ask if I could call my little knife the Jasper knife. in honor of George Jasper.

Well George Jasper liked the idea of a small thin knife instead of the razor blade. I asked if he would like one to try out and George said yes please. I made him one and then sent it to him. When he got his he must have been pleased with it, becasue he wrote on the forum aobut it. I have made been making them since. Over 200 so far.

George did have a idea for the naming of the knife instead of the Jasper knife how about it be called the Final Option knife. I was thrilled with the idea.

So now that little knife design is call the Final Option Knife.

Anyways I highly recomend adding 6 ways in and 12 ways out for your survival reading.

Bryan

I've been meaning to pick up this book since I saw it mentioned in W&SS, your terrific post spurred me on!

There has been an updated text in the works for sometime now but given the busy schedule of the cadre there hasn't been anything said for awhile.
This book is a great read, the food procurement sections are top notch and the author is a goer and doer.
As they say,"One high speed country boy."

another thing you could do is... scan all the pages and post them here :D :D :D

Nice pictures... if you can post some more... i like to see pictures that go from a book into practice...

You know... I started to build my own kit (kind of) and I was thinking the same thing about a small knife (I also saw it on another thread... this guy had a small knife - smaller than the Final Option Knife)...

So, where do you get the Final Option knife at???

Carspidey, I am not sure about doing the scaning lol. That might take a while.

As to more pics here I am sitting in my wooden chair. That I seen in the book and then went and made it.

IMG_0135.jpg

Here is the pic I was using for making my chair.

IMG_0129.jpg

I was cutting out some of the notchs for my chair.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

I have the poles cut for another chair that I want to make. I cut them long
enough I might end up making a couch lol.

Well as to getting a Final Option knife just contact me if you want one or more.

In 1095 steel they are $12. in 0-1 steel they are $20. plus shipping.

I can also put a black coating on them too like this one has.

IMG_0692.jpg

Here is a another First Line/ Final Option kit that I made up.

101_1467.jpg

In this pic I used my Final Option knife for part of processing this turkey up.
Little knives like this do have there place for cutting chores.

101_1540.jpg

As has been said it is a great book to have.

6shooter if you have any problems getting one just let me know.

Doc Canada was having problems getting one.

IMG_0691.jpg

He now has one :D.

Bryan

I received a copy from Brian a few weeks back, and it's a great book:thumbup:

As has been said it is a great book to have.

6shooter if you have any problems getting one just let me know.

Doc Canada was having problems getting one.

IMG_0691.jpg

He now has one :D.

Bryan

Hey Bryan,

Email inbound, thanks very much bro:cool:

I ordered mine right from usrsog.org using a money order, it came in about 2 weeks!!!!

Back