Who Wants Buck to Release the 914 Woodcraft Knife Again?

Does anyone know the story on the Buck 914 that they made for Cabela’s in 1991-1993 and Ducks Unlimited in 1995 and 1998? I have been interested in the 914s for a few weeks and was finally able to pick one up last week. It is the 1995 Ducks Unlimited model. It has been used and looks like someone used a Scotch-Brite pad to clean the knife which left faint scratches on the blade as well as removing some of the pad print. Since it doesn’t really have collector value now, I will not have a problem using it. It is an interesting knife that feels half a pound heavier than my 192 Vanguard, but in reality, is only one ounce heavier. The brass pommel has some heft to it.

53540172698_71ac046c7c_o.jpg

Now for the questions. The two Ducks Unlimited knives have blades that are off center from the tang whereas the Cabela’s knife is centered. Does anyone have any idea why?

53578560162_2b1ec96ce8_o.jpg

The 914 is a copy of the Marbles Woodcraft design that has been around for over 100 years. I have read a few comments around the web that seem to state that the 914 was a licensed replica of the Woodcraft design. See the photo below. Some have indicated that a cease and desist letter stopped any further 914 knives after the 1998 release. What I don’t understand is why Buck would need a license for the Woodcraft design. Kinfolks, Remington, Western, and KA-BAR all had Woodcraft inspired designs back when Marbles was still making the Woodcraft knife. Any patents would have been long expired in the 1990s. Marbles Arms quit making knives in the late 1970s. Anyone with inside knowledge know if Buck was forced to stop making the 914? Which gets me to my real question, is there a reason Buck has not released a stacked leather Woodcraft knife like the one they made for Cabela’s in the early 1990s? TOPS released an updated Woodcraft design last year. Is there anything stopping Buck from doing the same? Everyone loves nostalgic knife designs and stacked leather. I think releasing a new 914 would be a real winner.

53540214978_670abd50e2_o.jpg

Last edited:
It's my understanding that SMKW purchased the rights to Marbles, and they commissioned Tops to do the remake they released. They did a good job of it as well, as the handle is a bit bigger.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that SMKW purchased the rights to Marbles, and they commissioned Tops to do the remake they released. They did a good job of it as well as the handle is a bit bigger.
I have not been able to fully track the course of Marbles branded knives over the past 30-40 years. According to what I have read, Marbles Arms quit making knives in the late 1970s. I am not sure if it was another company or part of the same company that started making "Marbles Gladstone" knives from 1997-2010. I knew that SMKW was importing knives now with the name of Marbles, but it has no ties to the former company. As an aside, I hate when old companies go out of business or are sold and new companies purchase the intellectual property rights and start making products that are in no way related to the former company.

No matter what happened, it doesn't seem like anyone should own the rights to the Woodcraft design anymore, therefore I am not sure why a license or any other permission would be needed. Webster Marble patented the Woodcraft design in 1916 and it should be long expired. Maybe I am missing something. I would just like to see Buck release the 914 again.

I don't like the way it looks with this offset Buck pattern handle but I'd buy the stacked leather Cabellas version if reintroduced, it doesn't have to actually be stacked leather I'd just want that traditional woodcraft pattern handle.
I dont mind and kinda like the Buck handle pattern, but I'd prefer it to be stacked leather.....

although I'd be okay with the traditional handle shape also.....just prefer stacked leather on it though.

I dont mind and kinda like the Buck handle pattern, but I'd prefer it to be stacked leather.....

although I'd be okay with the traditional handle shape also.....just prefer stacked leather on it though.
It's the handle offset that I have a problem with, If the handle weren't offset it would look fine.

It's the handle offset that I have a problem with, If the handle weren't offset it would look fine.
Glad it just isn't me that has a problem with it. I have a tendency to like things symmetrical and have a knack for being able to see when things are not symmetrical. I am not sure I could own the 1998 Ducks Unlimited model. Not only is the handle off, the medallion is not centered either. This would drive me crazy.
53544622994_80efdd6ff5_o.jpg

I would absolutely love one of these, especially if they fixed the offset handle. But I'd buy one regardless.

Just so Buck Knives Inc. Buck Knives Inc. knows what we want, here are a few more photos I have found. This photo is from GPyro and could be used for the advertising shot for the stacked leather handle that should be rereleased.
img_20200223_053300161-jpg.1289272

While I think everyone likes stacked leather, another GPyro beauty with a stag handle.
img_20240112_145033657-2-jpg.2454833

GPyro GPyro also has several other 914s that he should post here. He has some beautiful ones with various handle Dumplings.

#1 above. That's what we want, unequivocally. Yup.

GPyro GPyro also has several other 914s that he should post here. He has some beautiful ones with various handle designs.

No.
I think there have been enough.

🤨

Last edited:
I waited two weeks and Buck did not release a stacked leather 914 like I had hoped. My impatience got the better of me and I therefore had to buy used. If anyone is going to get an older 914, get the Cabela's version. It feels so much better in my hand than the 1995 Ducks Unlimited version. With the solid brass pommel on the DU version, it is too heavy and the blade does not balance well in my hand. Hopefully Buck will rerelease this classic at some point in the future.
53577316563_aa15627482_o.jpg

Last edited:
I waited two weeks and Buck did not release a stacked leather 914 like I had hoped. My impatience got the better of me and I therefore had to buy used. If anyone is going to get an older 914, get the Cabela's version. It feels so much better in my hand than the 1995 Ducks Unlimited version. With the solid brass pommel on the DU version, it is too heavy and the blade does not balance well in my hand. Hopefully Buck will rerelease this classic at some point in the future.
53577316563_aa15627482_o.jpg
That one reminds me of David Martins knife

Last edited:
Back