Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition: Preventing Facets on the "Up" Belt Side

AFAustin

Gold Member
This relates to the standard WSKO belt grinder---without the Blade Grinder attachment. I'm likely in the minority but I've always had better results, and better control, with the standard unit, and typically only use the BGA for blade modifications or very large blades.

My question is this: Sharpening the left side of a blade, where the belt hits the edge going down, I get a smooth bevel. But on the right side, where the belt hits the edge going up, I often get facets, especially in the last section towards the tip. I can often eliminate or at least mitigate them by jiggling the blade a tiny bit as I pull through the stroke. But this also produces a more convex grind than the flatter grind on the other side. What I really want is a nice flat even bevel on both sides.

One thing I'll try occasionally is to rotate the WSKO clockwise about 60 degrees so I can actually sharpen the right side, by pulling the blade left to right, on the downward belt. But this is awkward and makes it harder to maintain good control.

I hope the Work Sharp pros might chime in with any insight or suggestions.

Thanks,

Andrew

Back