Work Sharp Pro Precision Adjust

P_D

I just received my Work Sharp Pro Precision Adjust. My knives were in terrible shape and are definitely sharper now. But I seem to have reached a sharpening plateau. I have a few questions.

1. I have reprofiled my bevels with the 220 grit. Do I need to move through all the steels from 220 to 800? Or can I skip every other one and still expect good results?

2. As I move from a coarser grit to a finer grit, should I expect the burr to be less prominent? I get a pretty big burr with 220, but it’s a lot more subtle with the finer grits. Should I keep honing with the finer grits until I get a "big burr"?

3. I have a jeweler’s loupe to inspect the scratch pattern on the bevel. I have read that it’s time to move to the next finer grit when the scratch pattern is complete all the way to the apex, all along the blade on both sides. I can’t really tell the difference between the scratches of 220 and 320 (or 400 or 800 for that matter). What should I be looking for?

I’m new at this. I read some the pinned threads about sharpening in the Maintenance sub-forum, but I’m not getting the "push-cut" edges yet.

If you're after a pretty edge bevel you want to progress through a lot of grits, otherwise lots of folks stop as low as 240, maybe cleaning it up with ceramic. Depends on the cutting job it's for, toothier for fibrous materials or super-fine for hair-whittling needs. Finer grits move less metal so produce a smaller burr.

2. As I move from a coarser grit to a finer grit, should I expect the burr to be less prominent?
Yes, one of the reasons for going through the grit progression is to reduce or remove the burr.
I get a pretty big burr with 220, but it’s a lot more subtle with the finer grits. Should I keep honing with the finer grits until I get a "big burr"?
You do not want a big burr after the initial grit.
3. I have a jeweler’s loupe to inspect the scratch pattern on the bevel. I have read that it’s time to move to the next finer grit when the scratch pattern is complete all the way to the apex, all along the blade on both sides. I can’t really tell the difference between the scratches of 220 and 320 (or 400 or 800 for that matter). What should I be looking for?
To make it easier to see, alternate the direction of the scratches from one grit to the next:
* On one grit, move the stone away from you to the left and/or towards you to the right.
* On the next grit, move the stone away from you to the right and/or towards you to the left
And so on.

Back