Yooooo... GSM customer service is straight Garbage!

Man, this looks really bad. I don't think I'll get the 3v Trailmaster anytime soon, and if I do, I buy it at a dealer where I can easily return it.

I was at a similiar point sometime ago, I bought a leatherneck sf and it had a loose, rattling handle out of the box. I send it back and bought another one that seemed fine. Using the knife a bit for moderate cutting tasks, it developed the same problem in no time. Because it was used, I couldn't return it to the dealer I got it from. I contacted cs europe, they told me to send it in. A week later I got a package back. I thought, ok, no communication whatsoever, but certainly they exchanged it. As I opened the package, there was my defective knife and a piece of paper. On there was handwritten that I didn't buy the knife directly from them, therefore they won't do anything about it. I was really angry back then, also because I declared where I bought the knife in my initial mail to them. But I'm happy I didnt sell of anything from my collection out of anger, the stuff that I got is still great, it's just that the customer service is a bad joke.
This is exactly the kind of nonsense I'm talking about.

I would wager that the majority of their products are distributed through non dealer channels. Meaning Cold Steel itself has intentionally made the majority of their products instantly and automatically grey market. The mom and pop gun store here I guarantee is not a dealer, so nothing they sell will be covered. Actually, I'm going to tell them and recommend they cancel all future orders from CS. I've had it with this BS. I have strong working relationships with several outdoor stores here in California, I'm going to start spreading the word and recommending they cancel future orders of CS products. I know for a fact they would not support any business that would take advantage of their customers, and yes that is 100% what GSM is actively doing every single day.

What we were all afraid would happen in regards of QA and customer service with GSM is exactly what I see unfolding.

I really appreciate the feedback. Most of the collection is from the Lynn Thompson era anyway so I guess you are right. I was so happy to see good quality from GSM, this ruins their reputation forever for me. I was so stoked to get this and so bummed for it to be a pos grind.
I hear you, and agree, I've bought a few of the GSM made knives (not expensive ones like the Trailmaster) and the quality seems on par with Thompson era with those. But the b.s. you are dealing with is well... B.S. For what you paid for that knife, it should been pretty much flawless. And the "customer service" is beyond being a joke. But it's not surprising. I hope you can either get your money back or somehow get a replacement for it.

Yikes! We knew the quality would drift downward. It seems some knives still exhibit classic CS fit and finish, but that won't last. GSM isn't a company based around a love of knives and a drive to produce the best for the customer, as CS was. GSM is based around the love of money and they sell mass produced, discount store products to earn it. Slowly, they'll save a penny here and there with lesser quality materials, like cheaper steel and less durable plastic, and then do the same with production. The same production line can produce garbage and gold. Just look at the Chinese factories making perfect knives and also flooding the market with gas station junk. Taiwan is no different. I've read it's what the company demands and verifies that makes the difference. CS demanded the best from the factories and watched their work very closely. There's no doubt that is NOT the case anymore. And like many workers, the quality of work lessens when the boss is on vacation.

In the past these knives would probably have been sold as seconds, though the seconds I've seen for the Recon Tanto and SRK had better grinds.

The 3V Tanto line is still good. I just double checked mine.

I guess if I get a Trailmaster within the next couple years it will be in San Mai.

I didn't even know this forum still existed. Looks like it just died again. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. Just being (sarcastic)

Last edited:
I hear you, and agree, I've bought a few of the GSM made knives (not expensive ones like the Trailmaster) and the quality seems on par with Thompson era with those. But the b.s. you are dealing with is well... B.S. For what you paid for that knife, it should been pretty much flawless. And the "customer service" is beyond being a joke. But it's not surprising. I hope you can either get your money back or somehow get a replacement for it.

I called them among ago the guy had no idea and said everything id want to know is on the product webpage. Only plus is I was only on hold for a couple minutes.

There is no greater Cold Steel fanboy on earth than I. My personal Cold Steel collection as it stands is somewhere in the neighborhood of $8K+, so this is extra painful for me.

I just received my $460 (knife center) 3V trailmaster.

It is waaay overground on both sides just like all the others I've seen online. So there's a problem, okay let's see what GSM says...

After being on hold for 15min and explaining it's not a trail cam, I directed her to the review images on the CS website showing the problem. I s#it you not she said it looks like he did it at home and the person who sold me mine, also ground it before sending it to me and there's nothing to do about it.

WTF?

I'm so angry, hurt, disappointed, confused. This is probably more of a cautionary tale about not being a giant fanboy than anything.
QC problems are not rare for CS or most companies in general, but the price point, customer service, general modus operandi of GSM is straight F-ing garbage. Literally makes me want to liquidate all my Cold Steel pieces. Maybe look for a big CS collection in the sale area soon. So done with this brand...
Why don't you return the thing for a refund?

n2s

Why not return it to Knifecenter and let them fight with GSM? They'll have more pull than you and it should have never left their shop that way. Good luck!

all brands are going down.

I study the forum, and manage to get a well known Becker BK7. It comes with uneven bevel and the sheath chamber is 1 inch longer than blade.

I asked the foum, check my post history, most replie are like: 1. you will reshape the bevel anyway. 2. go buy a custom sheath.

BK7 is at $124. I expect the knife and sheath worth up to its cost. Becker fanboys are full with unlogic six grade arguement.

My recent buy, OKC RAT7 at $80, CS SRK SRKC $25-35, CS Kukri 3V at $300, Perfect in all the way.

Your TM grind is horrible. Luckily, Cold Steel Section of this forum is not giving you shxt I came cross in Becker Section.

Just return it if you can.

all brands are going down.

I study the forum, and manage to get a well known Becker BK7. It comes with uneven bevel and the sheath chamber is 1 inch longer than blade.

I asked the foum, check my post history, most replie are like: 1. you will reshape the bevel anyway. 2. go buy a custom sheath.

BK7 is at $124. I expect the knife and sheath worth up to its cost. Becker fanboys are full with unlogic six grade arguement.

My recent buy, OKC RAT7 at $80, CS SRK SRKC $25-35, CS Kukri 3V at $300, Perfect in all the way.

Your TM grind is horrible. Luckily, Cold Steel Section of this forum is not giving you shxt I came cross in Becker Section.

Just return it if you can.
Easy there man, no one was giving you a hard time in the Becker forum.

The tip on the 7 you received can be easily fixed, as some recomended.

The other option is to just return in for a replacement.

Many knives have these same issues, not exclusive to Ka-Bar.

I had a BK-9 show up with a grind like yours, and the replacement was fine.

Also, Ka-Bar has excellent warranty service, leaps and bounds better than GSM.

An example: I messed up a Turok by trying to modify the handle scales. I sent it in to Kabar, who replaced the scales, and sent a brand new sheath, with zero cost to me other than one way-shipping.

I called them among ago the guy had no idea and said everything id want to know is on the product webpage. Only plus is I was only on hold for a couple minutes.
Yeah, the person I spoke with knew more about rocket propulsion technology than she knew about knives.

Why don't you return the thing for a refund?

n2s
I got it from a small business and didn't want to give them the hassle, also I'd probably just end up with another damaged 3v trailmaster. They say they're an authorized dealer so I want a confirmed correctly made knife straight from CS.

Why not return it to Knifecenter and let them fight with GSM? They'll have more pull than you and it should have never left their shop that way. Good luck!
That's actually a good point. I bought it from another dealer, and they're pretty big too.

Reactions: V-1
This is not specific to CS, but my wife (who worked with manufacturing in the printing industry) and I have noticed a decline in QC with many products, especially in packaging of medications, the packaging of routine objects you buy at hardware stores, etc. And it preceded Covid by a couple years.

Lights for video/photos that I buy from Amazon have flaws that QC should have caught (Chinese). My wife says that when word comes from the seniors in a company to cut costs, QC is one of the first things cut. Because you can't cut the pay of execs, right?

Thanks yeah, instead of returning it and getting another defective one I'm trying to warranty it to ensure I get a good one directly from CS. Will update if that happens.

I bought the knife from Balote on Ebay, they have pretty good reviews. They swore up and down that they are an authorized dealer for CS. CS said otherwise. They did say someone from tier 2 support would call me back to discuss what looks like a common manufacturing defect. That never happened. Customer service rep demanded to have my first and last name, phone number, and home address before she would connect me with anyone, but when I asked for a point of contact in tier 2 support she said she can't give that information. GSM is a steaming pile, CS customer service wasn't awesome to begin with, now it's just garbage.
When I asked for a list of authorized dealers so I know who to work with in the future she said that information isn't available to the public. I mean come on...

I have a return authorization from Balote, they weren't great to work with. I bought one from Knifecenter for $276. I asked them to inspect it Prior to shipping, so we'll see.

Thanks for the update. I've no doubt others here were/are also curious about how this is 'working out' (so to speak).

That not giving you a dealer list is just stupid (ok, let's go with insane). There are any # of companies that list other companies, stores, etc. that are dealers of their products as you well know.

Like you said, "GSM is a steaming pile, CS customer service wasn't awesome to begin with, now it's just garbage." I totally agree with you on that. They clearly don't care about customer service.

Hopefully this Balote on Ebay will refund your money; and Knifecenter will send you a new one that you won't have to return.

Good luck.

Thanks for the update. I've no doubt others here were/are also curious about how this is 'working out' (so to speak).

That not giving you a dealer list is just stupid (ok, let's go with insane). There are any # of companies that list other companies, stores, etc. that are dealers of their products as you well know.

Like you said, "GSM is a steaming pile, CS customer service wasn't awesome to begin with, now it's just garbage." I totally agree with you on that. They clearly don't care about customer service.

Hopefully this Balote on Ebay will refund your money; and Knifecenter will send you a new one that you won't have to return.

Good luck.
I emailed Knifecenter asking them to check out the knife prior to shipping.

They inspected it, aaannnnddd it was OVERGROUND and thinner than factory specs. This means that I have never seen a 3V Trailmaster that was not horribly made from the factory, way out of spec. This is a joke, GSM is a Joke.

Back