“Breaking in” a new folder

oupa

BANNED
When I was a little boy some 40 years ago, my uncle used to buy a new pickup truck every third year. He used to take an empty 44-gallon petrol drum with him, on the day he drove into town from the farm, to do the trade in.
On receiving his shiny new truck, he put the empty drum on the back, making sure that it was not tied down. He then proceeded to drive back to the farm, making sure that he hit all the potholes in the road. Of course the drum bounced around in the back, making an awful racket and chipping the paint of the new truck. When asked why he did this, he replied that one gets something brand new – you are scared to USE it, as it may scratch or get dirty.
I recently received a shiny new knife from my friend wolfmann601. I must have taken it out/put it back in the box at least 50 times – (making sure that was safely in the little plastic bag).
I asked myself “ Self, Is this what a knife was intended for? ”
I returned from my workshop a while back. The box, pamphlet and plastic bag ended up in the old slow-combustion stove. I have rounded the knife’s rather angular edges with the Dremel. I have cut a finger slot ala Benchmade Stryker into the handle scales, loosened the pivot screw, Militec’ed it and refastened the screw – to my liking.
Fits the hand like a glove.
Now I know what SBT stands for - "Simply Beautiful Tool"
I have just used the folder to eat my steak, butter the bread and cut the tomato.
No big deal, But now I can USE it.

Back