“Do you need to borrow a saw?”

EngrSorenson

Noticed by Senpai
Platinum Member
Edit: change of title to avoid confusion.

No thanks! Both my neighbors have generously offered to let me borrow their chainsaw when they noticed me working away. There’s a perfectly functional Stihl in my garage. I find using axes to be satisfying and a good workout. I’ve made more progress since these pictures were taken, and weather/family permitting I’ve got more time in December to get more wood on the pile. I figured we could use some results photos.

DQwfgUr.jpg

gAZgPE7.jpg

Last edited:
Axes are good for splitting wood, but chainsaws are a huge time-saver for felling trees and cutting into logs. Time is money, and unfortunately many people don’t have the luxury of spending all day chopping up a tree with an axe. Glad to see you’re enjoying the old-fashioned approach! :thumbsup:

just a tip for chopping wood the most efficient way. twist your axe sideways on the moment of impact, that way you transfer all the energy into the log.

been using this method for over 10 years and it makes it so much easier.

The only problem with axe-cutting your firewood is that it wastes too much, turning it into chips. Splitting is another story, that is one of my favorite fall chores.
I just collect the large chips and use them as kindling. I agree that if I needed to do this to heat my home I would seek other methods that were faster and more efficient, including maybe investing in a hydraulic splitter. Luckily this is just a hobby.

Axes are good for splitting wood, but chainsaws are a huge time-saver for felling trees and cutting into logs. Time is money, and unfortunately many people don’t have the luxury of spending all day chopping up a tree with an axe. Glad to see you’re enjoying the old-fashioned approach! :thumbsup:
Do you pull up next to joggers and inform them cars are faster, too? I’m pretty sure you just walked into a forum dedicated to axe enthusiasts to inform me that chainsaws are faster.

Do you pull up next to joggers and inform them cars are faster, too? I’m pretty sure you just walked into a forum dedicated to axe enthusiasts to inform me that chainsaws are faster.
Easy there, hoss. Axes have their place, and you’re the one that mentioned the chainsaw in the garage. I’m also not the only person here speaking to the inefficiency of it (i.e., the comment about wood chips). So why are you singling me out? Hmm.

I spy an extremely well made handle on that closest axe in the first pic. Any more shots? A real nice one is so, so rare.
Thank you for the kind words- it’s my first rehaft on a 1930-40’s craftsman that likely belonged to my grandfather. Neither Dad nor Grandpa are here anymore to confirm it’s origins. It’s a House Handle Company 28” haft which I trimmed, slimmed and fit with with a sloyd knife. I’m happy with it, but I think most folks would agree I could stand to slim it more. It does contain a small amount of heartwood, but it hasn’t cracked yet.
JHfxBgx.jpg

xIZcYBq.jpg

4ilc2c4.jpg

I know my limitations (usually). If I used an axe (or a chainsaw), everyone would be calling me "Bob" when I went swimming due to my obvious lack of arms and legs.

I don't process large amounts of wood for a fireplace or stove, though. But for now I stick to a rhino-powered saw and doing any small splitting with my knife and a baton!

We put up around 40 face cord this year. My dad, brother and I will putter with an axe on occasion while we're doing wood. I like limbing with one. Most of what we have to split is brought home from removals we do, I'm way too out of shape to buck up a 40 inch hard maple with an axe... I do keep one handy while running the splitter for those PITA stringy pieces.

I like limbing with one.
I honestly think nothing beats an axe for limbing. Everything else is me just mucking about for the sake of doing it, but I can usually take a 2-3” limb in a swing or two. Super satisfying and effective.

I appreciate the business you’re in. In another life I might have gone into that business.

Easy there, hoss. Axes have their place, and you’re the one that mentioned the chainsaw in the garage. I’m also not the only person here speaking to the inefficiency of it (i.e., the comment about wood chips). So why are you singling me out? Hmm.

Probably the smirk on your face when you posted, if not the annoying tone of your voice. ;)

So what’s the answer to your “do you need a saw” question? Do you still need one?

Back