• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

“Sale” prices.

I am new here, but I am sure this thread has gone around before. Please humor here though.

Is it just my imagination, or do certain prominent knife retailers (trying not to name any names, but you will probably figure out who I am referring to) label something as a “sale” but all they do is mark the original price WAY up and keep selling it at the same price? Knives that were regularly priced at $75 before the holidays now have an MSRP of over $100 and marked on “sale” at $75. Are there any trustworthy sites that actually have legit sales?

Thanks!

It’s like that with any product. Has been for decades. Know the difference between MAP and MSRP and it won’t matter. It’s just marketing. Most makers control the MAP, so sellers just try to pretty it up.

Where are you from?
What's a $75 knife?
Geez.

I'm mostly used to seeing Here, knives that are worth $300 (maybe) selling for $500- 1500.

Wow, id die for a good sub $200 knife. :/
Prices are screwy here now! Sorry.
The last couple years have been Rough.

*welcome to bladforums, btw.

I am new here, but I am sure this thread has gone around before. Please humor here though.

Is it just my imagination, or do certain prominent knife retailers (trying not to name any names, but you will probably figure out who I am referring to) label something as a “sale” but all they do is mark the original price WAY up and keep selling it at the same price? Knives that were regularly priced at $75 before the holidays now have an MSRP of over $100 and marked on “sale” at $75. Are there any trustworthy sites that actually have legit sales?

Thanks!
Nope - it’s all a capitalist conspiracy to get your money.

Unfortunately it’s a common practice in commerce. It’s been trickling into the knife world for a bit. It’s why buyers need to stay educated on current values and prices as we navigate the accumulation process. Sometimes if you really want something, you just gotta suck it up and pay.

Nope - it’s all a capitalist conspiracy to get your money.

Oops.... Ignore me.... Idk we are in the G,B, &U....
I had a couple beers watching football

My views are usually contrarian

Where are you from?
What's a $75 knife?
Geez.

I'm mostly used to seeing Here, knives that are worth $300 (maybe) selling for $500- 1500.

Wow, id die for a good sub $200 knife. :/
Prices are screwy here now! Sorry.
The last couple years have been Rough.

*welcome to bladforums, btw.
I have some nicer knives, but I also lose things. I have left more than one Spyderco in the Bob Marshal Wilderness. For some jobs a $75 knife will get the job done and I don’t feel that bad about losing it. Trust me, I would love to roll with a Spartan or White River every time I go out, but I would just be donating an expensive knife to the next backpacker. 😂

I have some nicer knives, but I also lose things. I have left more than one Spyderco in the Bob Marshal Wilderness. For some jobs a $75 knife will get the job done and I don’t feel that bad about losing it. Trust me, I would love to roll with a Spartan or White River every time I go out, but I would just be donating an expensive knife to the next backpacker. 😂

Ugh...
Id lose sleep If I frequently lost knives.
I tend to brake things.... Still sucks, but it's More Fun. ;)

Yeah, I am that guy that can only own knives with hunters orange on them it seems.

If breakage is an issue, I would go with ESEE?

"Smurf Blue" is a really good color for The Woods. ....stands out good!

* I break Sh*t, cause as a maker we need to learn/know it's limits.
It's Actually a good thing. :D

That’s why I asked Josh Fisher if he can make one of his mini Ronin with Orange handles. Only thing I regret is not asking for an orange sheath lol. The knife has some “character” because it’s had heavy use and some neglect during butcher. IMG_6197.jpeg

There are a couple of things to look at when it comes to sale prices. One is MSRP and the other is inflation. If there are knives you really want, keep a list of them on a file, with the pricing at the places you would regularly buy from. That will give you a better idea of how much of a sale it actually is.

A lot of us are still getting used to inflation, when current sale prices are what the knife used to cost not that long ago. Some brands took their time to increase prices due to inflation. Other brands doubled down and feel like they are using it as an excuse for grotesque price hikes to the point where I might not buy their stuff even if it's on sale for 30% off.

In honor of MLK Day, I am going to beat any price offered by Boru13 Boru13 or knarfeng knarfeng for assistance. This is a limited time offer, and once it's gone, it's gone.

Operators are standing by.

Back