……

Martin Pullen of Granbury, Texas worked with 440C steel. His page in an Old Knifemakers Guild book said he was self taught.

Martin Pullen was a good friend of mine was a pallbearer at his funeral. I also own quite a few of his knives. He worked in a lot more than 440c in fact pretty much got away from it. I even have a couple of Stellite folders he did for me cussed me for 6 months about they wore out 4 sanding belts shaping the blades. Spent a lot of time with him in his shop in Granbury at Murles Gunsmith Shop.

Can answer some general questions about him if needed. One thing about his knives--he made everything for them himself which in today's market is not that common even had his own HT oven. I loved mastodon scales especially the blue and green outer bark. Martin did too so if you see a knife with it do not be surprised. :)

im curious about his blade markings. of the two i have, they both have different marks. any wisdom on this issue?

Need to see pics. Will then look at mine. I have seen him stamp them post a pic if you can.

one of them is in the first post. i will get some shots of the other

I looked at 12 in the safe so far and none have the large marking you are showing. Also, and please do not take this the wrong way. Martin was a perfectionist and look at the fit and finish of the picture here. Every knife I have, a lot of my friends have and the ones I watched him build were perfect period and did not have that large marking.

Sorry this site will not allow me to upload pics. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

I looked at 12 in the safe so far and none have the large marking you are showing. Also, and please do not take this the wrong way. Martin was a perfectionist and look at the fit and finish of the picture here. Every knife I have, a lot of my friends have and the ones I watched him build were perfect period and did not have that large marking.

Sorry this site will not allow me to upload pics. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

You can upload the photos to imgur.com and then copy the bbc forum photo links, and paste them in this forum and the photos will show.

I have a couple of more to add for your comparison. I do not want to hit to hard on this but where did you get these knives? Do you know the seller very well? Might ask him where he or she acquired them.

The small indents are from have the hardness tested. I had access to one and asked our guys to test for Martin. He wanted to see if he was close on his oven times and quench. He was :)..

i acquired them from a member of the local knife club.

why would someone fake a little known maker from texas?

im not saying they are fakes though. a makers work progresses and evolves as they learn and grow. the larger of mine may be from his early days. i could be completely wrong.

I am not saying that either but over 15 years I spent at least a hundred hours in the shop with him. More than anyone alive except Murle Blasengame who owned the business his shop was in who made knives as well.

Martin Pullen was a good friend of mine was a pallbearer at his funeral. I also own quite a few of his knives. He worked in a lot more than 440c in fact pretty much got away from it. I even have a couple of Stellite folders he did for me cussed me for 6 months about they wore out 4 sanding belts shaping the blades. Spent a lot of time with him in his shop in Granbury at Murles Gunsmith Shop.

Can answer some general questions about him if needed. One thing about his knives--he made everything for them himself which in today's market is not that common even had his own HT oven. I loved mastodon scales especially the blue and green outer bark. Martin did too so if you see a knife with it do not be surprised. :)
He was my dad

Back