🔥🔥Ultra Lightweight Hollow Handle EDC Knife⚔️⚔️

Sam Wilson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey everyone, THIS IS NOT A SALES THREAD. (Another thread of mine was moved, as it was interpreted as a sales thread here in General, I guess.) I would like your thoughts on my P.A.C.K.Lite Knife, please. We are doing these in CPM154, with aluminum guard, handle, and buttcap. A kydex sheath rounds out the package. ETA: Allow me to be clear. WE means ME, Sam Wilson.

What features do you like/dislike with this package? I understand that not everyone likes hollow handle knives, and that is fine. But for those that do, this is a good mid-tech option in a very carry-friendly size/weight. Your thoughts, please? Thank you for the feedback!

r6dg0Iw.jpg

Sam

Last edited:
Now, we all know there have been some poorly executed hollow handle knives in the past. This one has a 3/32" blade ground to be a SLICER. That being said, in my opinion, the construction is exceptionally well done.

Here is a client video. He paid full price for his knife, it was not given to him.🔥🔥

Sam😎

Good point! It seems that that feature is sometimes misunderstood. A sharpening choil, notch, etc. helps to prevent an overgrind after many repeated sharpenings, and also helps to bridge the gap so to speak from when the knife goes from full thickness at the ricasso to a serious reduction in thickness at the edge.

Depending on how the knife was ground, the plunge cut can be severe and immediate, or more gradual. Typically a more gradual plunge is more pleasing to the eye, but leaves the edge slightly thicker in front of the plunge cut. A sharpening notch helps to mitigate any sharpening issues down the road, in that case.

Thank you for the feedback!

Sam😎

That looks like it will be a good hunting knife. I like it. You have a lot of talent sir. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much! Hunting has been discussed with cord wrapped handles before, and the cord can present the opportunity for organic matter to rot and stink, and just be unsightly. Below is a pic of several advanced prototypes, prior to production. I am working on getting the handles lightly knurled, so that anyone that so chooses can remove the cord and have sufficient grip to easily and comfortably use the knife. I appreciate the valuable feedback!

Sam:cool:

cDnOVTr.jpg

Not in my image hosting service. They are all over my Instagram account, linked in my signature.

That being said, these guys are built the same way as my other knives, which have been tested extensively for a decade now. Here is one of the big ones going through it in a video from way back.

Sam :cool:

The guard is oversized. Unless a combat situation, protrusion to the side and up are a discomfort at least. Usually a pain.
IMO hollow handles are a weak spot. There is nothing to carry in it that can't be carried on the sheath or in a pocket. Cylinder type handles are more on the difficult side to work with.

Obviously it is convenient to have a round handle for the buttcap to screw into. I wonder how difficult it would be to have an oval hollow handle that transitions to round (the diameter of the oval's major axis), just at the end to accommodate the cap.

Unless a combat situation, protrusion to the side and up are a discomfort at least. IMO hollow handles are a weak spot. There is nothing to carry in it that can't be carried on the sheath or in a pocket.

Of course it is a weak spot, assuming you are comparing it to a full tang knife. But no one but you is making that comparison. And no one is expected to take one into a "combat situation", whatever that is.

You are entirely missing the point of a hollow handle knife. They are cool, whether you have pockets or not.

Thank you for the feedback! I agree and disagree with some of your points, but value the info, regardless. The guard must necessarily be larger than the blade/handle on these knives, so in that case, "oversized" is a bit of perspective, in my opinion. As can be seen in the pics, the guard is heavily radiused, so discomfort has not been an issue so far. At least that is what all of my testers have told me, along with my personal field experience with them.

I have never had a quality hollow handle knife break apart, so I cannot technically say they are a "weak spot," in practical application. (See photo below, and video above.) Most folks misunderstand that the space in the handle is a redundancy storage option. Whatever you can store on the sheath or on your person, you can always add more in the hollow compartment. I thank you again for the insightful response.

The guard is oversized. Unless a combat situation, protrusion to the side and up are a discomfort at least. Usually a pain.
IMO hollow handles are a weak spot. There is nothing to carry in it that can't be carried on the sheath or in a pocket. Cylinder type handles are more on the difficult side to work with.

GSv6A21.jpg

I have done some prototypes with an oval cross section. In general, folks have tended to prefer the traditional round handle, for whatever reason. Nostalgia probably has something to do with it.

Obviously it is convenient to have a round handle for the buttcap to screw into. I wonder how difficult it would be to have an oval hollow handle that transitions to round (the diameter of the oval's major axis), just at the end to accommodate the cap.

I have done some prototypes with an oval cross section. In general, folks have tended to prefer the traditional round handle, for whatever reason. Nostalgia probably has something to do with it.

Yeah, I still remember walking out of the theater with my buddy at age 12...

eveled eveled It sounds like it is a go. I have some adjustments to make after everyone is back to work after the holidays, but everything looks promising. Thank you for the feedback! It was feedback that prompted me to investigate the knurling on this model, as I do it on most of my custom models already. Much appreciated! :cool:

Did I miss the weight of this knife in one of the posts? When I go backpacking, I choose a knife that weighs under 3 oz...but at that weight there's no hollow handle.

This is one of the advanced prototypes. This is obviously before cord wrap, and the production models will likely be just a tad heavier. But sub 3 oz was my dream goal. Sub 4 oz was my practical goal. A LOT of work to hit that number. Excellent question.

OOwNO4h.jpeg

Sam🔥😎

Did I miss the weight of this knife in one of the posts? When I go backpacking, I choose a knife that weighs under 3 oz...but at that weight there's no hollow handle.

Back