01 trailmaster tip

just got an 01 trailmaster and its kinda thin at the tip compared to my carbon v recon scout.when did the start making them so thin at the tip?

They've been pretty thin for around 10 years or so. One of the things I like about the Trail Master and Recon Scout is that they will actually cut and aren't just a sharpened pry bar like some.

Isn't the Tm for using in the outdoors a woodmans type knife if you will. I would think it would have a thicker tip for outdoors type stuff, beating prying batoning and such. I've got an old cold steel catalog and it stated it's thicker and stouter to be tougher for using in the outdoors. So I'm a bit :confused: as to why the TM tip would be thinner now days. Maybe tougher steel these days? It's not a fighting bowie right?

Isn't the Tm for using in the outdoors a woodmans type knife if you will. I would think it would have a thicker tip for outdoors type stuff, beating prying batoning and such. I've got an old cold steel catalog and it stated it's thicker and stouter to be tougher for using in the outdoors. So I'm a bit :confused: as to why the TM tip would be thinner now days. Maybe tougher steel these days? It's not a fighting bowie right?
I asked this very question about the Trail Master as a fighting knife and these are some of the answers given.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/trail-master-fighter.1496576/

the trail master has a blade about 8 mm thick, do not worry too much of the thin tip the cold-steel fixed blade knives are by far the most manageable in the world and natural that are oriented for combat

the trail master O-1 is the perfect combination of strength and cutting capacity, at this price ($) it is almost impossible to find another industrial production bowie with the same capacity

normally the knives of industrial production or are very robust and less "sharp", or are more sharp and "less robust" the cold-steel trailmaster is an excellent middle ground it is and can be used both as a powerful combat knife and for survival.

Back