0801 Go or No

Status
Not open for further replies.
But keep in mind that the 0770 might come with a detent hole, allowing for assisted or manual opening.

A few weeks ago, Jimmer_5 mentioned that for both the 0566 but said they were trying it to see how things work out.

The 0566 would flip just fine with manual action and ball bearing washers. The decision to use assisted opening was based on what would make the knife most popular in the general market.

We are drilling a detent hole in the blade on this one, so it will function manual or assisted.

The 0566's will be out well before the 0770CF's.

Some object to the SpeedSafe® Assisted Opening (AO) which is in the 0770 as opposed the "manual" flipper in the 0801. AO is useful for those who cannot or do not want to flip. It does allow assured deployment every time. ZT is prudent in picking AO as they did with the 0350 since it opens up the market to a wider audience. AO does have the potential that the spring may break but I think that's been overplayed.

Yeah I understand why they do the speedsafe and i am not anit speedsafe either, I have several. But I do like a manual when its available.

That's why I said "might" :p

Hope it does!

Additional recent posts by Jimmer_5 and KAI Corp. regarding AO & Flipper and detent holes for 0770 & 0566:

Think about it this way - manual action is like a manual transmission car, Speedsafe is like an automatic transmission car. You want to put a numer to how many people drive an automatic versus how many people drive a manual? I bet you'd find that the vast majority of the general public (like my wife) prefer an automatic transmission, while the car enthusiasts (like me) prefer a manual.

By nature, the enthusiasts are some of the loudest voices, but they are not the majority. The majority doesn't speak up very loud, but they do vote with their wallets. As a company we want to please both markets. You'll note that even though we make a lot of entry level Speedsafe knives, we also make 0777's, 0888's, 0600's, 0801's, 0560's, 0550's, and knives liked the Tilt, Volt, and Speedform. Every single one of those knives is a manual action. And wouldn't you know it, but every time we hear a few people say "it must be broken, I can't open it all the way". You can almost smell the clutch burning when they pull up with their new Ferrari. And that's ok - we're always happy to teach people to open a knife properly. But with Speedsafe they can do it every time, no instruction necessary.

At this point, we're trying out the compromise - offering some Speedsafe knives with a drilled detent hole. We'll see if it works. We generally try to do what makes sense for a particular pattern, and for the intended end user. Just keep in mind that Speedsafe continues to be very popular on a large scale. We are sincerely doing our best to offer a diverse product range and cater to both kinds of users - entry level and enthusiasts.

I would be happy if it does become more popular - I like the ball bearing washers myself, and I'd love to use them in a larger percentage of our knives. The number of knives we make with ball bearings continues to grow. However, we still encounter novices who can't get the knife to open all the way with a manual action knife, even with ball bearing washers. You can be be a total novice and not even much effort, and an assisted knife will still open.

I'm not necessarily arguing against anything. I'm merely providing an educated opinion as someone who is privy to sales numbers.

KVT is still a relatively new thing for us. Heck, the first KVT knife was released only three years ago. We will likely have a lower priced KVT knife eventually, but it hasn't been a focus for us yet. It's not that KVT drives the cost up - it's more that we have chosen to use KVT in high-end enthusiast oriented knives because enthusiasts are ones who are interested in it. By the way, enthusiast like heavy detent - Mr. Joe Public thinks it makes the knife hard to open.

IMO, the 056X's with SpeedSafe would sell much better than the manual ZTVT set-up it currently has.

The 0801 has become my fav ZT ever......has kicked 0560 and 0550 out my pocket, u need to get one!

Well that sounds promising because I love the 0550

The 0801 did the same to my beloved 0550BLK with CF scale!

0801 is a great work knife too but I can see issues if your hand gets sweaty or what have you and thus slippery due to the titanium handles. If you're wearing gloves then no issues.

Buy them both. Don't tell the wife. :)

My "Modus Operandi" (except a Knife Store called today and spoke to my wife about my pre-order for 2 0801's at $190.00 each... I had to turn my pre-order down 'cause she was standing RIGHT THERE!!!

The 0801 is available now. The 0770 is regular production as well so it's kind of inconsequential. I think you should get what you want now and enjoy it. The 0770 will be there for you when you're ready, so no worries either way.

for me 801 hands down. I love it so much I bought 2. One to stuff away for the collection (which i normally never do) and the other is going to be extremely pimped out. For me the 0801 is one of the best knives ZT has made. You seriously get so much for your money. Full titanium, Steel lockbar insert, kvt and elmax. For me its a win win. For me the decision would be harder if the 0770 had KVT. But my situation is unique where these days I only collect bearing flippers and therefore A/Os are off my needs list. I would just ask yourself which options are more important to you and let that aid your decision. The knives are pretty different so if you have particular tastes it shouldnt be too hard to decide.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger! The 801 was a go. I gave my business to kershawguy

I went ahead and pulled the trigger! The 801 was a go. I gave my business to kershawguy

Can't go wrong with purchasing from Kershawguy. But now that you ordered it, go ahead & put a pre order for the 0770. Then immediately start shopping for a safe & when you get it don't give the combination to your wife. This way when you get the 0770, 0770cf, 0888 etc, etc, she won't have to know. She won't be able to see inside the safe.... at least thats my plan :D
She still doesn't know the numbers to mine, & with all the releases & pre orders I have from my local pusher for ZT's, I hope she never finds out. Just saying..

Can't go wrong with purchasing from Kershawguy. But now that you ordered it, go ahead & put a pre order for the 0770. Then immediately start shopping for a safe & when you get it don't give the combination to your wife. This way when you get the 0770, 0770cf, 0888 etc, etc, she won't have to know. She won't be able to see inside the safe.... at least thats my plan :D
She still doesn't know the numbers to mine, & with all the releases & pre orders I have from my local pusher for ZT's, I hope she never finds out. Just saying..

She will probably get them all in the divorce lol

Ive been examining and flipping my new 0801 all night and I have to say this is the best ZT for the money ever. Its way under priced ive seen customs that dont hold a candle to this knife. ZT just keeps getting better I dont know how they can produce this knife at this price point. Well done KAI

I love mine but I think there must be something wrong with the bearing pivot...it seems to have excess drag...it actually whistles during blade rotation...and feels like it's rubbing. The pivot has worked itself loose twice now, forcing me to retighten. I've taken it apart to clean, polish, and lube the moving parts, with no substantial improvement. It definitely does not meet the description of smoothness that everyone else describes, but is nonetheless very solid, pretty and functional. I think the minor kinks will work themselves out with time and use. I still REALLY like this knife and think is a darn near perfect edc.

I love my 801. I have to hide it in my closet so I can carry my other knives. Elmax, Ti, KVT, and Rexford design are just a genius combination. I love how plain it looks so I won't hurt when I scratch it up from use. It can handle anything I can throw at it. Best part? It's the perfect size. My favorite ZT to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back