$1,000.00...What would you buy?

I got the idea for this one from the Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths forum. If you had a $1,000.00 to spend on knifemaking equipment, what would you get?
As an added dimension to this I have a good sturdy bench under construction, a 6" vise, a 4 1/2" angle grinder, a 1/3 hp 4"x36" sander, a floor model drill press, an oxyacetlene set but no gas or oxy, an 8" bench grinder, a sway backed anvil but no forge, a flex shaft Dremel and assorted hand tools, bastard files and the like. What should I get if I had a $1,000.00?
These questions are deceptively simple, a grand can disappear real quick and isn't enough for any variable speed grinder setups
but is enough for a good single speed model, see what I mean! Thanks-Guy T.

ethier the JET 18" bandsaw, with 1.5" wide tri-master lenox blade, 1.5 tpi. or buy all the parts neccesary to build my 3"x132" belt grinder, and 40 zirconia belts.

Maybe a new grinder. Mine is ok but its hard to find good 4x36 belts. And I like hollow grinds better although I may not be very good at them. Or a new drill press, mine is an old craftsmen with sleeve bearings, that makes for a pretty loose spindle. If I got a drill press I'd probably get a milling table to go with it.
Or I could just get a used bridgeport, although that would be hard to find in the $1000 without it being really old and worn out.
A metal cutting bandsaw would be nice to.

Geez, if only I could come up with money as fast as ideas for what I would like to buy. Oh well, all of that would be nice to have. but I'm managing without it right now and its still alot of fun.

------------------
Fix it right the first time, use Baling Wire !

Lmao, Matt!!! The money never catches up with the ideas!!!!

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
"Always" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
"Always</A> think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

IMO, as good a 2 x 72" belt grinder as you can find. Frankly, I'd save up another $500 and get a variable speed model. You have everything else you really need. A cheap saw would be nice, but I'd scrimp on the saw and go long on the belt grinder.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

I'd buy a Coote 2" X 72" grinder, w/10" contact wheel & small wheel attachment,($500), scrounge an old 1.5-2hp motor,($100),2",3",4",& 5" sheave($30), buncha belts ($100), couple 8" 3M scotchbrite wheels ($100), sandpaper ($50) & whatever's left ($120) in steel & handle material. Pick up aluminum cans for $$$ to send out for HT ;-)

OK,
Here it goes...... It's already starting to get warm in the afternoons here in FL! With $300 of the $1000, an AC unit for the shop is the MOST important thing I'm lacking right now!
Then I would probably spend the rest on Talonite and handle material
biggrin.gif

I've almost died the past two summers with just a fan in my shop. This year I WILL be cool
cool.gif

Neil

------------------
Blackwood Knives
More knives in stock soon!
http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Meeting/5520/index.html

definetly buy the air conditioner, i know how tough it is to where a respirator, and grind in 105 degree weather.

Back