1-way to handle hunters.

• I put a lot of hours in the shop this month getting ready for the show in Cambridge, Ohio, These were the last of the forged blades finished late last night.
  • 1095 clay hardened blades
  • copper and brass guards
  • stabilized birds eye maple with copper and red fiber spacers make up the handles.
  • 9 inches overall
  • Thanks for L :D:D king Fred
    aay.jpg

Looks great. That birdseye maple is really nice. I also like the use of copper.
Mike :D :thumbup:

Fred all your work paid off :D
Great looking blades & handles. I also like the copper.
Thanks for sharing
Mitch

Very nice color combos and shape. I was wondering if that 1095 was from rr scraps? Were they those "spring clip" rail hold downs? THanks,
jm

jmwands said:
Very nice color combos and shape. I was wondering if that 1095 was from rr scraps? Were they those "spring clip" rail hold downs? THanks,
jm
YOU have it right Jim, they are forged from the spring clips from the RxR. The clips are just the right size to forge a nice hunter with a little left over for a 21/2 incher. Fred :thumbup:

Robert Mayo said:
Great hamons Fred one of these days i will give clay hardening a go.Bob :)
Bob, I would be happy to chat with you about the clay process any time you get inspired to give it a try. I have been doing it for around six years and have found a process that works well and gives a very consistant result. Fred

Where did you get the copper/brass guards from? Does that make em Bronze, or do ya need to have tin in bronze? Hrm. I have a client asking for them.
Obliged,

WYK

WYK said:
Where did you get the copper/brass guards from? Does that make em Bronze, or do ya need to have tin in bronze? Hrm. I have a client asking for them.
Obliged,

WYK
Howdy WYK, The guards are made from a sandwitch of two pieces of copper with a brass piece in the center. If you look at the lower knife in this post you will see the gleem of brass in the center of the guard. Fred

David Farmer said:
Those are good looking knives, Fred. Good luck at the show.
Thanks Dave, This is my forth time at this show. Like old friends getting together again. Fred

Fred,

I like those hunters a lot, they have a look all their own. Just enough of a guard, but not too much. Great finger grooves to keep the knife securely in the hand. Really like that blade shape too. Good job.

Geode said:
Fred,

I like those hunters a lot, they have a look all their own. Just enough of a guard, but not too much. Great finger grooves to keep the knife securely in the hand. Really like that blade shape too. Good job.
Jeff, Thanks for the feedback. Good or bad I like to get it. "When people don't say anything", that's when I know I am not making anything of any import. Fred

Back