110 Stories

I bought a 110 in 1972 (still have it, btw) because in 1969 my grandfather gave me a 120 (from the original A&F, with my initials engraved on the spine - still have that one, too). My first year away at summer camp was 1970 and the 120 was just too big, so a couple of years later I saved, and saved, and saved, and saved, and bought a 110 at Veterans Ski Shop in Hartford, CT (long, long gone, like the WW2 vets who founded the store when they got back). Great knives, still, after all these years. :thumbup:

Cool story puukkoman, neat thread... Guess I got some readin' material for tonight:)
I agree that is a cool story. Good job pukkoman. I am going to carry my old 110 today. It has been awhile since I had it out.
Jim

This thread has been around so long we can't let it die. Not really much of a story, all I can say about my 110 is that I carry it around in my back pocket next to my wallet on my daily wonderings over here in Okinawa.

Well my BUCK 110 story started with a Schrade. Growing up Schrade was budget limit for our family and I longed of having a BUCK 110. As time went on and job got better I bought that BUCK 110. It is made with the dark solid wood and rounded corners, I wish I could date it but Buck has replaced the blade two times for me over the years. Never abused, just sharpened away or the lock getting worn. I still carry this 110 and have worn out a lot of sheaths and its blade is getting the tooth pick look. At one time I wondered how a company could be this great and looking back I can see how. They make a great knife, wonderful service and I have gone on to buy more than 50 new Buck knives for myself, became life member in BCCI, continue to buy more Buck Knifes and this year’s thank you for my 15 man crew was a new 112 for each member. Thanks Buck for all the great time in the woods on the water and at work.
Bob

stock, Thank you for this story. Buck, is a great American company which puts out a good product. DM

When I was probably about 8-10 years old my grandfather took me out fishing in his boat for the first time. First time ever fishing from a boat and have very fond memories of that day. We caught a lot of rainbow trout that day and when we got back he took me into his shop and taught me how to clean fish. He used a 110 and I've been fascinated with knives and the 110's ever since. It was not until a few years later I got my own actual first Buck 110, carried cheap knock off SAK's as a kid up until that point. To this day the 110 is still my primary knife and EDC, I have a total of 3 now.

Another story.. 3 years ago I picked up two very nice custom 110's from Buck's custom shop. I got them right before Christmas and decided to gift one to my father. He absolutely loves that knife and uses it for everything. He is the kind of guy who saves and never spends a dime on himself so this was a real treat for him.

One day when i was 14 i was at the barber shop and an old man needed money for a haircut and had what i now know was a buck 112 for sale. I bought it and its wore-slap-out leather sheath for like $15 if i remember right. At the time i just knew it was a buck and i figured i could use it for a beater since it looked like it went through a war while tied to the driveshaft of a deuce and a half. I digress. I gave the sheath to my stepdad and sharpened the poor thing and carried it in a pocket. It was in such bad shape i didn't care to use it for rough stuff (read: abuse!) Or care if the school confiscated it. I carried it all through high school in my back pocket under my wallet, to avoid suspicion. The shop class teachers didnt care a bit and two of them usually borrowed it to use quite frequently. Eventually i traded it for a buck 501 during my senior year but in 2005 my grandparents got me a brand new buck 110. By that time i was a fireman and that buck came in real handy at times. It became my favorite one to carry on duty and i used it for everything. Even cut a seatbelt once in a car fire. I carried it on and off duty and even while going to tech school. Still have it and use it and its still in great shape. Only bad thing (kinda. I reckon) is that its multiplying! :eek:

wow nothing like new life in a old thread! ok my first 110- I mentioned this story early in the thread but now want to expand it ..
15 years old in 68 I went to work as a electricians helper
boss took me to the hard ware store to get tools and tool pouch, price to be taken out of my first pay envelope
well got klines and side cutters ( which I still have) and drivers and then needed a wire skinning knife ...
journeyman pointes at a knife and said " now that's a buck knife ... a real mans knife.. last a life time it will .. "
so I made 1.25 an hr and I bought that 8$ buck 110 in its black holster and put it on my belt..
wow all the real men back at the shop oued and awhed at it and the boss got on the man for having me buy that expensive knife
but I stood tall with that on my side that day any way...
later I dropped it from top a pole and it was gone by time I got down to get it
but I missed it so much that I bought another one ...
I quit to go back to school and then aft two days went back to work for 3 days for extra cash and
omg that guy I worked with the day it disappeared had a 110 but no holster for it..
I told the owner and he asked the guy bout it ..got it at a yard sale he said ...
my 2ed last day was Friday and turns out it was his last day also...
I have always carried a 110 from that first day at the hard ware store to this very day..
still have that 2ed knife from that summer- seems my mom put away a lot of my things when I went in the navy,
thanks mom- and now I have over 400 of them ...
oh yea bought my first car that year also - a 1966 V8 mustang convertible so
I don't have either of them- my first buck 110 or my first mustang ...

Last edited:
Good story 110 Dave. In real world settings and not the "internet world" the 110 is still the knife. Or maybe I should say in rural settings it is still very common, along with probably a Case Sodbuster and Trapper. I live in the Ozark mountains where there is a lot of hunting, fishing, camping, logging, gardening, farming etc. Guys aren't carrying expensive knives like you see on a lot of forums. I think the Bucks (and Case) are quality and accessible. If you lay one up and can't find it, you can pick one up Wally world or the feed store or hardware store and you can sharpen easily with a stone in your pocket or on the bottom of a coffee cup on the jobsite or in the field.

110 Dave great story. Electrician work has been one of the main uses of my 110 for 35 plus years and it a great tool to have.
Bob

I was traveling in Europe, some by train, most by walking, some by hitchhiking, about fort..... a long time ago. In my pack I carried a Buck 110 and a Swiss
Army Camper - after all, I did do a lot of camping in my small two man tent. On one occasion, I was traveling by train at night from Amsterdam to Copenhagen, meaning I had to go across Germany. Sometime in the middle of the night, I awoke to someone kicking me - two German Border Patrol troopers. Dressed for all the world just like the Nazi's one sees in films. Apparently, young people traveling from Amsterdam through Germany are or were regarded with extreme suspicion - either of carrying drugs or of having no money and being a threat to the social welfare of Germany. In addition to my passport, the troopers made me show them that I had a return flight ticket home and money. Then they proceeded to search my backpack. It wasn't long before they found my Swiss Army knife and the 110. They tossed the Swiss Army knife aside and proceeded to inspect the 110 carefully. All the while looking at me as if I were not a drug mule or a vagabond, but a full-fledged serial killer. I thought they were going to take me off the train and I'm sure they were thinking about it. The presence of my tent, sleeping bag, a small cook stove, etc., apparently convinced them that I was truly a camper. They finally just left my compartment to hassle someone else without another word to me. As for me, I felt violated but grateful that it was no worse. Been leery of Germany ever since.

Back