112 vs 501

112 vs 501

• Total voters

BP_

Platinum Member
Which do you like better? Which is more practical for every day use? Which is most versatile? Let's hear it. Any and all welcome. :D

IMG_5892.jpg

I think the 500 is probably a bit better of a comparison as it is more similar in size to the 112. Between the 501 and the 112 I don't think one is better than the other, just the 112 is better at some tasks and roles and the 501 is better at others. Between the 500 and the 112 it all depends on what I am out to do.

I voted for the 501, of the two, more pratical for everyday use and more versatile for everyday use. If I'm going in the field I'd take the 112...more practical and versatile in the field. Preston

I understand the 500 vs 501 point, but I had not seen much on the 501/112 conversation. I posted this thread because I'm torn between the two. I feel that, in my opinion, either could be used for nearly equal tasks. What comes in, is the size in hand, blade length and width, and weight. I was just kind of hoping to get a conversation started and have some guys from all different walks of life chime in on what they use either/both knives for. I personally feel they're too similar in size to carry, so if it's one or the other (depending on the person), I was just curious which one it would be. We have everything from executives, to ranchers, and everything in between. I love that about BF, and am really eager to hear and see some responses. Thanks for posting that, I really didn't add much input in my original post!

If that's the case then I believe the 501 is a more practical knife for edc.

IF you're even considering this line of thought the 501 is the knife for you.
I am not much on either. I do carry a 500 a few days a week when I'm working indoors in the city. DM

I voted for the 501. One of my all time favorites. Easy to carry, fun to play with, handy everywhere. The 112 feels terrific in the hand and it's tough, but I always seems to bypass it for the 110 when I go up in weight class.

I like the 112 best but find the 501 more practical for my average daily cutting needs.

Honestly, I couldn't vote one way or the other. They are two of my favorites. I always seem to have my 501 on me these days. I switch between the 112 and 110 though. Just this morning I used the 501 to get a packing slip off a box then used my 110 to open the actual box. The size of the 501 is perfect for pocket carry, but I love using a sheath as well. If anything, they make me want a 500, a 112 drop point and a 110 drop point since I don't have any of them. So, I am no help at all here because I can't choose one over the other....

I think that much depends on what everyday use means to the individual carrying. For carry comfort, discretion and basic overall usefulness, the 501 is the logical winner. However, there's something illogical about the 112 that makes me willing to bear the discomfort of the extra weight, and also to find ways of having one with me most of the time. I love looking at it, holding it, and knowing that when I have to use it, I have a greater range of cutting ability in a beautiful and traditional package. That's why I'm willing to put up with the minor inconvenience of its size and weight on a daily basis.

"I voted for the 501. One of my all time favorites. Easy to carry, fun to play with, handy everywhere. The 112 feels terrific in the hand and it's tough, but I always seems to bypass it for the 110 when I go up in weight class."

My thought exactly. The 112 was my first real knife. Bought from the ships store aboard the USS Camden in 1978. It was a knife, hammer and prybar and served honorably. I still have it but opt for the 110 when I carry a heavy folder.

So for you guys that voted 501, what about the 110 makes you choose it over the 112, hence the reason for voting 501 in this particular instance? What does the 110 do, that the 112 doesn't? Is it worth it to own both? I could see a 501/110 combo working out fairly well as an EDC loadout. I'm curious why people opt for the 110 over the 112 though, and wondering what it does that the 112 falls short of.

You do know you're asking Bucknuts this question. :D

Haha! Touché, my friend. Touché. :p:D:rolleyes:

Ok maybe not so much that particular part of my response...

I see the poll even though, which I find quite interesting as well.

I don't think the 112 falls short in any area. I actually prefer the size of the 112 for edc, except in the winter when I would usually go with a 110. I've been carrying one of my 110's a little more simply because it has a S30V blade. When I get a custom 112, or any with an upgraded steel, that'll be my go to. I have to give all three (501, 112, 110) a big thumbs up. Three weeks ago I had surgery to repair a ruptured bicep tendon, which meant I was one handed for two weeks and still have limited use of my right arm (I'm right handed). That meant no smaller knives like stockman's or mostly all of my Case knives. My Bucks have been coming through for me and really made me realize how much I can take a simple, sturdy knife for granted. That being said, I'll have a 501, 112, or 110 on me for as long as I can still hold one...

501 all day, literally. You can drop it in your pocket and forget it until you need it. If I want a larger knife, the 110 is my choice, or a fixed blade as they are a bit more capable than the 112, which has a similar blade length as the 501.

112 can do more things due to its size. not really comparable to a 501....i like both for what they are.

The 501 is a fine folder, but I have & carry 112's.

I simply prefer Buck112's clip point & swedge to any drop point. And the 112 is a traditional sturdy lock blade.

If I couldn't wear the belt sheath, then the 501. Or, I might just take the 112 out of its sheath and slip it in a pocket...

Last edited:
I prefer the 110, if I go for a folder in that style. Between the two choices, I prefer the 112, though

I voted for the 501, it will do anything the 112 can do and you can comfortably carry it in your pocket.

Back