The jury is in, remain seated...
My lab tech for all intents & purposes has concluded through a multitude of tests that the metals of both the clone and the so called real deal are indeed the same. On close inspection of the quality of the workmenship, the clone had some minor imperfections when compared to the flawless "real" sebenza. Now onto the question of whom is responsible for flooding the market with less than perfect clones at a fraction of the cost of the real thing. My tech declined to comment because he didn't want to run the risk of being dragged into a liability suit. Consider this case closed...

Well why the hell wouldn't they be able to use the same metals?
They aren't secret metals from Mars...I can buy them too. :rolleyes:

Case closed?
Case pointless.

Well why the hell wouldn't they be able to use the same metals?
They aren't secret metals from Mars...I can buy them too. :rolleyes:

Case closed?
Case pointless.

I'm thinking what he meant was the same alloy of titanium and S35VN. Obviously the blade would be steel and the handles titanium, those can be tested with household goods.

I'm thinking what he meant was the same alloy of titanium and S35VN. Obviously the blade would be steel and the handles titanium, those can be tested with household goods.

I meant that too.
You or I can buy the same steel and the same grade of titanium, and to produce a convincing counterfeit, one would do so.

Nobody accused the counterfeiters of being bad at counterfeiting...that's the whole problem, that they are good at it.

My lab tech for all intents & purposes has concluded through a multitude of tests that the metals of both the clone and the so called real deal are indeed the same. On close inspection of the quality of the workmenship, the clone had some minor imperfections when compared to the flawless "real" sebenza. Now onto the question of whom is responsible for flooding the market with less than perfect clones at a fraction of the cost of the real thing. My tech declined to comment because he didn't want to run the risk of being dragged into a liability suit. Consider this case closed...

Interesting cryptic post. More attention seeking trolling.:confused:

...onto the question of whom is responsible for flooding the market with less than perfect clones at a fraction of the cost of the real thing. My tech declined to comment because he didn't want to run the risk of being dragged into a liability suit. Consider this case closed...

What would a metal tech commenting about marketing/selling of cloned/counterfeit products have to do with liability? Absolutely nothing. Libel, slander, fraud maybe but it wouldn't be a case of liability. Just more evidence of trolling....

^ This is about as much proof of anything as me telling everyone that I am really just a unicorn that can use a keyboard...

Did you perhaps consider that:

A: Nobody that cares about this hobby cares about this thread aside from it being another chance to show displeasure for anyone that is a thief.

B: What you are doing not only hurts CRK but anyone who has an idea they might want to bring to the table....creating something that can't be protected to some degree kills creating something...unless you live without money...

C: The clones should be better, and the fact that they aren't is sad. I mean they are copying something that hasn't changed much in 25+ years and was for the most part developed and built with tech. available at that time.

D: Please stop trolling, there aren't many fans or rules that support this here.

^ This is about as much proof of anything as me telling everyone that I am really just a unicorn that can use a keyboard...

Did you perhaps consider that:

A: Nobody that cares about this hobby cares about this thread aside from it being another chance to show displeasure for anyone that is a thief.

B: What you are doing not only hurts CRK but anyone who has an idea they might want to bring to the table....creating something that can't be protected to some degree kills creating something...unless you live without money...

C: The clones should be better, and the fact that they aren't is sad. I mean they are copying something that hasn't changed much in 25+ years and was for the most part developed and built with tech. available at that time.

D: Please stop trolling, there aren't many fans or rules that support this here.

I have found that some of the clones out there are excellent knives, better than many midtechs and even some customs I have held. My legit Spyderco Military for example has slight bladeplay and an off-center blade when closed. By comparison, the clone I was given ages ago came perfect. Now, considering the manufacturing standards at CRK, I don't expect a clone to come close to their quality of an actual Sebenza, but the price doesn't come close either. If the clones are using S35VN steel, that kinda kills the whole mystery steel argument many people make about these clone knives.

You say there aren't many fans of these knives around here, but the fact that so many clones are out there seems to go against your theory. Someone is buying them, many someones, actually. I bet plenty of people here are among them, they just aren't speaking up.

IMO, there is a place for these things on the market. Not everyone wants to spend 400+ on a real Sebenza, and not everyone can afford to either. If someone wants to take a chance on a decent clone for a fraction of the price, I say let em go ahead. It's not like CRK is struggling here. I have two Sebenzas myself.

Whether or not CRK is struggling isn't the point. The point is that if it's a clone, then the design is stolen. Saying it isn't wrong to steal CRK's design is like saying it's OK to embezzle money from the company you work for, or shoplift from the store, because 'they aren't struggling'. If the clones you mention are so well-made, then why don't the manufacturers produce their own designs, or make them different enough to be obvious to Joe Schmoe that they aren't actual CRKs? Because the Sebenza clones are clones, clearly they are intended to pass for the real thing, i.e., fool people and profit off the name, reputation and hard work of others.

Jim

Last edited:
Whether or not CRK is struggling isn't the point. The point is that if it's a clone, then the design is stolen. Saying it isn't wrong to steal CRK's design is like saying it's OK to embezzle money from the company you work for, or shoplift from the store, because 'they aren't struggling'. If the clones you mention are so well-made, then why don't the manufacturers produce their own designs, or make them different enough to be obvious to Joe Schmoe that they aren't actual CRKs? Because the Sebenza clones are clones, clearly they are intended to pass for the real thing, i.e., fool people and profit off the name, reputation and hard work of others.

Jim

If this is an issue that gets you so riled up then call Homeland Security Investigations and report the people you see doing it. If you don't report it then it doesn't bother you as much as you pretend it does. If it's a crime worth going after, they'll go after it. If not, they won't. Either way the right people will have made a judgement and we can all sleep better knowing what can be done has been done and can stop bitching on a forum that a couple of thousand people out of the 300,000,000 people living in the US know or care about.

If this is an issue that gets you so riled up then call Homeland Security Investigations and report the people you see doing it. If you don't report it then it doesn't bother you as much as you pretend it does. If it's a crime worth going after, they'll go after it. If not, they won't. Either way the right people will have made a judgement and we can all sleep better knowing what can be done has been done and can stop bitching on a forum that a couple of thousand people out of the 300,000,000 people living in the US know or care about.

Homeland security? Why?

I'll bet you're having a lot of fun with this, I know I am! Keep it up!

They may be using S35VN, but who is to say they are even wasting time and money heat treating the steel at all! You don't know the other materials, such as the screws, the screws holding it together could be aluminum! Probably not, but the point is, you don't really know!
That being said, I am sure a lot of use started out young, with cheap knockoffs of buck 110's in our pockets for our first knives. Gotta start somewhere. I wouln't pay 10 cents for 5 of those knives now, but you gotta learn.

Wow. :rolleyes:

The one who seems 'riled up' is you. Do you realize how difficult it is for manufacturers to go after clone makers? It's not my job to track them down, but it doesn't have to be for me to know it's wrong. That doesn't make me holier-than-thou, either. Anyone who is remotely aware that it's a clone would know that. Oh, and I am responding to a post about a clone knife on a knife forum. The entire U.S. population doesn't have to care, just like they don't care about someone reporting that a clone is supposedly 'the same' as a high-end knife.

Jim

Wow. :rolleyes:

The one who seems 'riled up' is you. Do you realize how difficult it is for manufacturers to go after clone makers? It's not my job to track them down, but it doesn't have to be for me to know it's wrong. That doesn't make me holier-than-thou, either. Anyone who is remotely aware that it's a clone would know that. Oh, and I am responding to a post about a clone knife on a knife forum. The entire U.S. population doesn't have to care, just like they don't care about someone reporting that a clone is supposedly 'the same' as a high-end knife.

Jim

Exactly

And just like most of the population wouldn't care that we are even talking about knives at all. With this logic, why even bother with the whole knife thing in the first place.

I stole 10 bucks from craytab, but it's OK. He can afford it. My honor is intact.

Back