Off Topic $15 table mounted shaving horse

This is actually just intended to be the prototype for a shaving horse. The table mount works good in my small shop, I can store it easily and clamp or screw it down anywhere.
Obviously this could not be easier, it took a 2x4, a 1x4, and a dowel for a total cost of $15.

I plan to make a nicer one with hardwood and dowels on top and bottom instead of screws. That way I could have several holes for optional adjustment of the pedal and top block. But I’m not yet sure if I need any adjustment options at all. It seems to work perfect as is both while standing and seated in a stool.
I’ll Use it for a while to see how I might want to change it but I am absolutely loving how quickly you can move and reclamp the piece you are working on!
iStwdMy.jpg

sOhLuxZ.jpg

YM2kuAJ.jpg

Mine was $5 at a garage sale. I used a bock of oak to mount it on to put in my woodworking vice and then put leather over the metal jaws. I’m going to make some hardwood jaws when I get some free time.

Yeah, I used to suffer through clamping my work down just like that and it’s a huge pain in the ass.

The whole point of the shaving horse is to not have to clamp it down Over and over.
It is so much faster and easier! It takes 1/2 a second to reposition your work, so you can keep moving it for easy adjustments and to get better angles on it, with no need to protect it from the metal depressions of the clamp each time you want to move it.

Getting fed up spending so much time toiling with that clamp method is what prompted me to make the shaving horse and I love it!
The ease of adjustment makes it easier to get a good finished product vs a clamp which really limits your repositioning.
Best $15 tool I have made!

Last edited:
To each his own. I don’t mind unclamping and reclampimg. With a standing shave horse seems like your balance may be a little off. Standing on one foot and pressing down with the other. But it works for you and that’s all that matters!

To each his own. I don’t mind unclamping and reclampimg. With a standing shave horse seems like your balance may be a little off. Standing on one foot and pressing down with the other. But it works for you and that’s all that matters!
Fair enough.
I do put a stool in front of it so I can sit down.

This is actually just intended to be the prototype for a shaving horse. The table mount works good in my small shop, I can store it easily and clamp or screw it down anywhere.
Obviously this could not be easier, it took a 2x4, a 1x4, and a dowel for a total cost of $15.

I plan to make a nicer one with hardwood and dowels on top and bottom instead of screws. That way I could have several holes for optional adjustment of the pedal and top block. But I’m not yet sure if I need any adjustment options at all. It seems to work perfect as is both while standing and seated in a stool.
I’ll Use it for a while to see how I might want to change it but I am absolutely loving how quickly you can move and reclamp the piece you are working on!
iStwdMy.jpg

sOhLuxZ.jpg

YM2kuAJ.jpg

I'm terribly sorry for up, but how to use it properly? Can't imagine that

Back