153UH heirloom

My father recently passed away and left me a Schrade 153UH with the serial number: 368506 and the name "Uncle Henry" embossed on the blade side of the brass finger guard.

Can anyone here tell me anything about this knife?
When and/or where it was made?

Any information would be appreciated. He has had this knife for well over fifty years as far as I know.

I contacted Taylor already and they were unable to provide any information.

Welcome to the forum!

You made a wise second choice on contacting the place of knowledge. The 153UH is known as the Golden Spike, and was a very popular hunting knife for Schrade.

The Golden Spike was manufactured from 1973 to 2004. I'm no expert on decyphering the year. But is sold for $69.95 retail in 2004.

There will be experts along sometime today that will help assess the age. Probably will have to wait until the sun comes up.

In the meantime, does the blade stamp read Schrade or Schrade+ ? I'm banking on just Schrade.

Hal

Its nice to own a Schrade with a family history, isn't it? Taylor Cutlery can't tell you anything about your knife because they don't have the Imperial Schrade records. They had them, acquired when they bought the Intellectual Property at the auction in 2004, but since they had no interest, they gave them away to a collector, Mr. Langston. Perhaps he will study them and make the results available to collectors. I also have duplicates of some of those records.

Here is a research paper I wrote some time back on the pattern. I need to update it. Hope it helps.

Michael

153UH Golden Spike Research
The Schrade Uncle Henry 153UH Golden Spike has been a favorite classic pattern for many years. The 153UH was the one of the first fixed blade Uncle Henry patterns when it was introduced in mid 1973, and was produced continuously for thirty-one years, nearly a third of a century.

It was manufactured under the Schrade Cutlery tang stamp (mid 1973-04), and I have not seen one yet with the Schrade-Walden tang stamp. If one is located, it would be, I believe, considered a true rarity.

In the mid 1973 catalog it was referred to by the name "Golden Spike", and listed for $30.00. This name was used without change throughout the production. By the 1980 catalog, the listed price had increased to $36.95. It listed for $56.95 in 1991. The final 2004 listed price was $69.95. It was also used for limited editions and private issues right up to the end of Schrade in 2004.

The Golden Spike has a finger grooved shaped imitation stag "Staglon" Delrin handle held to the hidden tang by a tang mounting screw much like the earlier 171UH Pro Hunter. I have disassembled a 153UH and the screw threads into a cylindrical bushing fitted crossways in the tang. It has no shield, the "Uncle Henry" signature being stamped into the right face of the guard, also much the same as on the 171UH, and the serial number likewise stamped on the left guard face.

On occasion over the span of production, several different handle materials have been used on special and private issues. The bottom of the choil on the ricasso in front of the handle is relieved in an upward arc to the lower guard and allows for the use of the full length of the sharpened blade.

The 4 1/2" hidden tang blade is sabre ground .165 1095HC carbon steel before mid 1995, then afterward .135 440A stainless Schrade+ steel hollow ground, and is best described as a Turkish clip blade. Often described as a "bowie hunter" or modified skinner, the blade has a slight skinner belly with a slightly upswept tip, and just a hint of a false edge on the clipped upper spine. Overall length was listed as 9 1/4" and blade length 4 1/2".

I hope readers notice that when the bladestock changed from carbon steel to stainless, it went from .165 (and sometimes thicker) to .135 thickness as well (and finished down to .128/.130). This difference is substantial enough that the parts from my earlier carbon Golden Spike do not fit the later stainless blades ( they will assemble, but not tighten or properly allign). In fact, they had to retool the guard's slots, molded handles, butt pieces, and spacers for the smaller stock. Likewise, the later parts will not assemble on the earlier blades.

Also notice the grind change. The stainless knives went to a hollow ground blade, vs. the earlier plain sabre grind. A close examination of blades from both the earlier specs and the newer production may reveal some other dimensional tolerance changes such as finished blade length, or choil height. But I have not had sufficient samples to make this comparison.

Since this was designated a "running production change", it is possible that a loose stainless knife will show up where someone "oops'd" the parts during assembly. That is one of the bugaboos of making running changes, and a chore for engineering to police. Moving old parts stock to a quarentine area before new stock is released, and doing so in a seamless fashion is an operation that takes some skill. WOrkers are known to "discover" a few loose old stock parts around their workstation, and unthinkingly toss them into their assembly parts bins. Naturally, it is up to engineering to see this does not happen.

Only a couple of sheath designs have been observed so far. The most common is the flat sewn sheath with a stone pocket, a direct adaptation of the 171UH sheath. Like the predecessors sheath, it had a third ply of leather added between the cover piece and the backing piece protecting the stitches from the insertion and removal of the blade. This style continued pretty much through the remainder of production, with an occasional flat stitched sheath appearing without the stone pocket on limited and private editions. Sheath finish color varied over the years from light tan, light russet, dark russet, to true brown. Occasionally an undyed replacement sheath shows up on the market. A few special and private issue sheaths are dyed black.

As with many other Schrade fixed blades relatively minor engineering changes can help to distinguish the chronology of production.
Earliest production was marked with a serial number on a left guard front. It has not yet been determined exactly when the serializing of this pattern started, but according to a Schrade newsletter, serialization was to have ended as of January 1st, 1980. Perhaps the serialization led to some complications with production and stocking. Or if the intent was to track knives for warranty purposes, perhaps that proved to be more trouble than it was worth. The highest serial number I have noted so far is #422056, though this most likely is not the highest serial number made.

Some tang stamps, applied to the right side of the tang perpendicular to the blade, are "SCHRADE" over "U.S.A. 153UH" on the right ricasso. Note that it did not use the "SCHRADE+" stainless identifier until the later (post 1995 ½) production editions which did have the "SCHRADE+" stamp, and some the "SCHRADE SUPER SHARP" right hand blade etch. Late limited editions had a tang stamp of "SCHRADE" over U.S.A. LTD.", again with no "+" identifier. Most of the “SCHRADE” marked knives have carbon blades, as it is now known with some certainty they were made from 1973 1/2-1995, and the stainless “SCHRADE+” blades during the last nine years of production (1995-2004). Most of the carbon knives I have seen so far have the signature on the guard.

The 153UH is a sort of an enigma in that the normal routine was for a blade pattern to be introduced in the basic 1095HC Old Timer line and, if successful, to be introduced as an upscale Uncle Henry Signature Series version of it in stainless. In this case, the UH version came first in 1973, and the plain (flat) ground full exposed tang OT version, 160OT Mountain Lion was introduced in 1990. In order to fit it with the serpentine brown sawcut Delrin handle used on the successful 165OT, the blade was blanked with full exposed tang from that pattern. For some reason, while the Golden Spike blade profile was kept intact, the grind was changed to a flat grind on the 160OT. An unintended consequence was that the thinned narrow blade tended to break in front of the ricasso. This 160OT version was discontinued after 1995.

Limited editions and most private issue Schrade Cutlery knives also had a right side tang stamp of "SCHRADE+ over USA LTD.", and used a 440C stainless blade. These editions will occasionally be found with custom shop wood or genuine stag handles, brass flat rivets, special etches.

A mention must be made of the imported "New Generation" knives from Taylor Brands LLC., purchaser of the Schrade trademarks and patents. These knives of the 153UH pattern appeared on the market in the spring of 2005, less than a year after the bankruptcy liquidation sale of Imperial Schrade assets at the factory in Ellenville. I will attempt here to point out the obvious differences to the collector, so that one will not be confused with the Imperial Schrade production.

Taylor Brands LLC. (formerly Taylor Cutlery) is an importer and wholesaler of knives, and now a licenser of the Schrade trademarks to some American cutlery manufacturers, and not a manufacturer themselves. The Taylor 153UH knives are contracted to a cutlery factory in China and the knives so far are all stainless (no "+" mark). The Taylor 15OT tang stamps are "SCHRADE" on the right aligned with the front of the handle and angled to the blade, and "153UH" on the reverse with the same alignment. Neither the importer's name, nor the country of origin appears stamped on the knives themselves. The Taylor version has, so far, the "SCHRADE" over "SUPER SHARP" etch on the right blade, the originals sometimes do have, and sometimes not. The imported knives I have seen so far have the Taylor-Schrade emblem on etched on blade left with "SCHRADE" over "CHINA '05" inside a circle with the cutler at the anvil emblem in the center. So far, there has also been a "First Production Run" etch on blade left as well. The imported knife had red/white/red spacers on the handle next to the guard and butt plate, while on the U.S. produced knives the spacers are black/white/black.

The Taylor sheath is made from the pattern of the standard Schrade Cutlery tan leather stone pocket sheath with the keeper strap slipped through slots in the belt hanger. The only distinguishing feature I have found so far seems to be a slicker finish on the surface of what appears to be a lesser quality leather, and if consistent with other Taylor Schrade patterns I have examined, is actually a composite leather, not top grain cowhide.
An examination of the photographs of the Taylor knives also seems to show that the grind lines are slightly different.

While the last MSRP on the Schrade Cutlery 153UH was $69.95 in 2004, the MSRP for the Taylor 15OT in 2005 is $42.00. With a bit of searching, a prospective buyer can purchase one for 2/3 to 1/2 of that price.

So why was this knife so popular for such a long time? The 153UH was one of the thinner, visually smaller knives of it's day, and as smaller blades became the rule of the day with new generations of outdoorsmen, it inherited the position of the sole large hunting knife pattern in standard production for both the OT and UH lines. And sales, i.e., profits That the153UH survived as a production knife as long as it did is a testament to the purity of utility in Henry's original design. Quite a few patterns were tried and discarded during the long running Golden Spike's production of thirty-one years.

The Golden Spike found a loyal following among a generation of maturing sportsmen, the "Baby Boomers" that came to the knife buying market at about the time of the 153UH's introduction. And Imperial Schrade prospered in this marketing period. But as the older generations of buyers began being replaced by younger buyers, large knives preferred by their fathers and grandfathers for hunting and camping the old way fell out of fashion.

While shorter bladed knives of newer design, such as the Pro Hunter PH1 and PH2 attracted a sizable portion of the market from the Golden spike, and the Safe-T-Grip series of Old Timers, then the X-Timer series came out, neither series supplanted the sales of the Staglon handled Golden Spike.

In 1995, the forcast production need was 1,000 knives per week, 50,000 a year. One secret to this success was the low cost of materials and assembly on the 153. It is comprised of only twelve parts and required very little final fitting during assembly.

Research on this pattern is still in the preliminary stages at this time. I hope to better pin down the dates of the serial numbers, and the "Super Sharp" etch, as well as document the special limited and private editions.
Codger

Yes. This is just "SCHRADE" with "U.S.A. 153UH" directly beneath it. I am surprised that this was made as late as 1973, I thought my father had it well before then.

Does the serial number have much in the way of significance?

It seems negligent that a company with a long and admirable history should be purchased just for its name and have its history discarded, doesn't it.

The serial numbers were used when you bought the Uncle Henry models for registration purposes. The Schrade Company had a policy to replace a lost Uncle Henry, if you had registered it properly within a designated time of the purchase date.

If you hang around here with the rest of the Schrade guys. you'll find the Taylor name is not very popular.

Does the serial number have much un the way od significance?
Mine is similar to your's but lacks the serial #. Mine was purchased in sometime between 1985-1995 (my knife recordkeeping doesn't go back that far). I suspect that your's is older because of the serial #.

It is a rather high serial number, so even if the serial numbering started at the very beginning of production, there were 368,505 of these knives made before your father's. Using a bit of math and a lot of guesswork (somebody help me out here), we can guestimate the production date of the knife:

Guess: the serial numbering began in 1973
Guess: Schrade made 50,000 of these each year
Know: your's is #368,505.
Conclusion based on above: your's may have been made in the 7th or 8th year of production, so ca. 1980 to 1981.

If someone knows the production numbers and/or whether the serializing began in 1973, the above can be fine-tuned to a more accurate guess.

-------------------------------------------

I contacted Taylor already and they were unable to provide any information.
That's not suprising. When Schrade went out of business, Taylor bought the name brands only, in order to market their own knives. Taylor has no connection to the Imperial Schrade Corporation at all.

-Bob

Very interesting. I could/would have sworn I saw this in his tool box way earlier than 1973, even. Prior to their being made I learn. He died in 1979 so if this was produced in 1980 I have to wonder where it came from.

My guess above was only that, a guess. Change one of the unknowns and the date could change dramatically, although not enough to overcome the earliest date of 1973.

For example, replace the production guess of 50,000 with 100,000 and that would move your knife up to the 4th year, or 1976.

Maybe an expert can add something...
-Bob

Most fixed blade knife production never approached the numbers of pieces for the popular folding knives. While we are waiting for an expert to arrive, here are some production figures from Imperial Schrade's year end production reports.

Actual production of the 153UH began in very late 1972 with only one shipped. In 1973, the first full year of production, 3,435 were shipped.. 7,672 went out in 1974, and 9,954 in 1975.14,768 shipped in 1976, and in 1977 22,828. In 1978, the sixth year for the pattern, 31,728 were shipped, and in 1979, 37,562. In 1980, 35,225 shipped, and in 1981 30,569. For 1982, 31,229 and in 1983 23,355. In 1984 there were 21,104, and 1985 14,972. 1986 saw 16,429 shipped, and in 1987 they shipped 12,420. In 1988 Ellenville sent out 15,162, and 12,657 in 1989. Only 10,736 were sold in 1990. These figures do not include limited editions and SFOs.

Michael

Codger,
Then can you explain the six-digit serial number of an early-production 153UH?

Perhaps it's not a model serial number at all? Or perhaps one set of serials used for all UH models?

???
-Bob

The serials were individually applied to each knife, unique to that knife. When a knife was rejected by the assembler, or by Quality Control, it would be tossed, or reworked. The above figures are a record of knives actually finished, passed and shipped. I can not explain that number appearing on an early knife. Did you add up the production 1972-1990?

Possibilities are numerous. See what you can come up with. And remember that H-15 Grandpa brought back from WWII.

Codger

OK, I added up those numbers in a little chart. Total production from 1973 - 1990 was 351,805. Well into six digits, but sixteen thousand knives shy of the serial number in question.

And according to the information you've provided Codger, the serialization stopped in 1980. By 1980 only 163,172 were produced.

Which brings me back to one of the possibilities I mentioned, perhaps the same set of serial numbers was used for all of the Uncle Henry models? That might have made their warranty recordkeeping simpler.

If so, instead of singling out 153UH production numbers, we would need to add up production numbers of all UH knives combined.

-Bob

Serialization may have ended in 1980. That is the best information I can glean to date, sourced to a former factory employee some time ago. If factory records of warranty registrations, or serial numbers ever existed, I've not seen them. Empirical evidence is needed. Survey every NIB 153UH you can come across for a year or so recording all data (stamps, serials, boxes, papers), then compile the data to find a more true representation of when serialization ceased, and the range of numbers used. I am only one guy and I am surveying LB-7 patterns and 15OT, 165OT & UH patterns. Arnold is surveying the 171UH patterns. ISC was a knife maker. Not a research company. Once made and out the door, except for warranties and repeat customers, the knives were for the most part forgotten. The bottom line was the EOY Production report, and the P&L sheets. We are lucky as collectors that as much survives as does. The rest we have to piece together from "forensic evidence". Asking questions, comparing notes, and researching the artifacts.

Michael

All I can add is that it appears that on the !71UH they started over when they switched to the square end from the birdshead pommel.I find it hard to believe if they differentiate between these changes they would have combined numbers on different series.This is based on 4 knives I have two B/Hs and two square ends with very similar numbers.Arnold

This knife has "SCHRADE Super Sharp" 'printed' on the balde side if that means anything to anybody....

The "Super Sharp" etch was, as best I can determine, an on-again/off-again affair. It doesn't help me much in dating a knife. Good try though. Unique etches sometimes allow pinning a knife to within a few years.

Michael

So I have a confusing serial number, on again-off again etching and no cross after my "SCHRADE". I still have a pretty nice knife though.

I have one too, from my Grandfather. It does not have a serial # like you guys talking about. But I do have EVERYTHING that came with it brad new. And it has a "Guarentee Against Loss" document in the box and on the serial # line it just says "UH153". Is this common?

hahaha!! i guarantee, come with a question here, it will get answered, or else the memebers of this forum will die trying!! good god guys, we should all get together and buy the rights from taylor, hire the guys away from canal street cutlery, and open shrade back up. i wish i knew half of what ya'll know. codger, how much hair do u pull out figuring this stuff up?? man, it is so awesome to read this stuff. codger u are the expert!! damn its good to know that if anyone has a question, they got friends here who will answer it!! my thanks again for everyone sharing their knowledge. i for one appreciate all the hard work and fine advice.

kris

Back